DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

20 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

Am I the only one who thinks current Hangman is a quite boring generic ass-kicking babyface? I get that you can't have him be the anxious millennial cowboy forever but his character really regressed from beeing nuanced and stereotype-questioning to I-wanna-punch-you-bland. 

And I still think that his story with Dark Ordner wasn't finished, ended far to abruptly and it's a terrible idea to have Dark Order be heels. It's a shame we haven't gotten a Hangman, Silver, Reynolds trios run yet. Guess I just have to wait for the downfall of Hangman and hopefully Dark Order pick him up once again.

Whole-heartedly agree, particularly with the second paragraph. I honestly think pissing away the Hangman-Dark Order friendship is AEW's biggest booking misstep to date.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MKERyan said:

Either way, dude rules, hopefully they don’t just stick him with that dork Abrahantes like they do every other masked lucha guy.

It could be worse, it could be mid-90s WWF where every luchadore they bring in has a theme song that you know would fit well on a "Soft Acoustic Guitar for an Empty Room" playlist playing in the background at Michael's.

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm fairly certain a Hangman turn is in the cards, but I also think that unless he does something truly dastardly, the crowd will continue to cheer him... And that's why he's going to help the Bucks end Sting's career.

Heel Hangman feuding with Darby? I'm game. Who comes to aid Darby when he's overwhelmed by The Elite? House Of Black face turn?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Heel Hangman feuding with Darby? I'm game. Who comes to aid Darby when he's overwhelmed by The Elite? House Of Black face turn?

I can dig that for sure. The people wanna cheer them (Brody at least, anyway). Edge might be good there too, it's established onscreen he and Darby/Sting are allies after that trios match on collision a couple weeks ago

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the crowd really wants to cheer these guys we're talking about or just like to chant their catchphrases. Yeah, they like to go "HOO HOO HOO" and "WHO'S HOUSE SWERVE'S HOUSE" but they boo them still... at least, enough. Most heels are over as faces, it's the problem of current wrestling that the old timers bitch about. The only real "hate you" heat that you're gonna get is when Callis comes out.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I can dig that for sure. The people wanna cheer them (Brody at least, anyway). Edge might be good there too, it's established onscreen he and Darby/Sting are allies after that trios match on collision a couple weeks ago

Cope & FTR would be natural foils to The Elite as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I also think that unless he does something truly dastardly, the crowd will continue to cheer him

Step 1: Hangman walks out with Hook, and then complains that the fans are cheering Swerve who didn't help Hook more than Hangman, who has helped Hook

Step 2: Hangman jumps Hook from behind and beats him into a bloody mess and then bloodies Taz for good measure

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:53 PM, Just Dave said:

Why are we slandering Rick Starks and Large William? They rule and should have all the tag titles. On the earth. All of them.

They're good (and I've been a supporter of Big Bill since his AEW debut), but they've done nothing with the belts since squashing FTR. This is more on the writing then on Starks and Bill.

In a world with only one set of tag belts going back to this summer, Cole and MJF complete their ascension by winning the gold against FTR, the rest of the year plays out pretty much the same way with the belts ending up on Taven and Bennett. You can still build up a big match between Starks/Bill and FTR for Collision that goes the same way to establish them as a big team before they get sucked into the Jericho-verse. There's no need for two sets of belts for both of these story arcs.

On Hangman: I think pissed-off Hangman is the best version of him, he's just wildly misplaced in the world title picture right now. The loss to Swerve is too fresh in everyone's minds, and no one wants to revisit that so soon. Everyone just wants Swerve to get his moment in the sun, and in the absence of MJF, building to Swerve/Ospreay at All In for the title should be the obvious course of action.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

It seems theyre building towards a triple threat for the belt with Swerve/Joe/Hangman, but im not sure who could take a loss between Swerve/Hangman right now and i don't think Joe should even be close to losing the title.

Hangman somehow prevents Swerve from winning the belt when he's right on the cusp, leading to Joe retaining and a final Hangman/Swerve blowoff, maybe.  Hangman did cut that promo about keeping Swerve from winning the title.  Swerve hits the Swerve stomp on Joe, Joe is beat, Hangman hits Swerve with the Buckshot, then Joe knocks Hangman out of the ring and steals the pin.  I do hate that finish AND first-pin three ways, but what can you do?

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, I just started 1995 and Mantaur came in like a couple weeks before 1994 was over. It took about a week or so before they saddled Cornette with him. That has to be a world record in panic mode for a talent. Like he has a "debut" on Superstars. Then, one on Action Zone. Then, another one on Challenge even though technically it was the same match from Action Zone earlier in the day. For the new set of tapings for Raw at the top of the year, Cornette comes out with him. No explanation or nothing. Ron Simmons had to wear that goofy get up in WWF longer than Mantaur got to try to get whatever it is he had to get over before they added something to his act.

Three common @Elsalvajeloco post categories that I love because he's passionate about them:

1. Boxing
  2. New Generation era WWF awfulness
  3. Shitty, weird, small buildings where awful New Generation era WWF ran
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I feel like "New Generation" WWF was just 80s WWF with better production values (except those tapings where they ran what looked like a quonset hut) and sometimes less steroids.  Like it was Vince's perfect vision of technicolor bombast and wackiness but he couldn't realize it until the times caught up with him.   

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Octopus said:

Okada?

Now I'm wondering who will get shitcanned "because it was his time, that's all" so Tony can make card-space for Okada. Andrade is already gone. Miro is gonna be "how's my hair look, man?"

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now I'm wondering who will get shitcanned "because it was his time, that's all" so Tony can make card-space for Okada. Andrade is already gone. Miro is gonna be "how's my hair look, man?"

In theory, you have Sting leaving and Danielson going part time. Not sure how long Omega will be out. The roster competition for tv time will be interesting. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

What's this?

I assume just all the usual rumblings about him stepping back around May to spend more time with the family like he said on TV, not sure if we've gotten anything more concrete since then