DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FOURTEEN

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

Mike McCarthy's out this week after having appendix surgery.

Given his clock management problems, you would have really expected the thing to have ruptured on him before he noticed.

LOL dang! Not lol at his medical problem. I hope he’ll be ok. I just immediately thought of Urban Meyer. Mike McCarthy’s emotional swings this year have been as steep as Urban’s. And Urban of course landed in the hospital over there a couple of times.

The Dolphins are extending RT Austin Jackson  3/36 (20 guarantee).  

This is notable because a year ago, Jackson was just awful.  But working with Butch Barry for one season has made him a borderline Pro Bowl'er.  I cannot overstate how good a hire Butch has been. 

37 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The Over/Under for the Stillers & Pats is 30, the lowest since Boxing Day 1993 when 3 games were pegged at 28 or 29 most likely due to weather.

I'd bet the Under even if the number were in the single digits.  Man, it's gonna be awful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

“I want you to remember a group of people who worked together on September 11th”

”The passengers of Flight 93?”

”Not exactly that”

Hopefully it gets his ass fired. . . 

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Hopefully it gets his ass fired. . . 

If you're trying to get fired,  this is an interesting strategy. This is almost Papa John levels of,  "we cannot possibly trust this person's judgement." Remember,  Papa John didn't actually say the racist thing,  but made everyone think,  "oh my god,  he's about to say the super racist thing," the entire time he was talking. The next thing you know,  he wasn't allowed to sell pizza any more. The board of directors heard him taking and knew immediately they could never trust him to speak publicly again. This is close to that level of terrible judgement. 

• Like 1

You don't fire a coach for something they said 2.5 years ago in front of enough people that everyone in the organization knew about it, unless you were looking to fire the coach anyway and were itching for an excuse. Bills fans that want him fired mid-season while still (kinda) in the playoff hunt are a special kind of nutty, there isn't anyone "waiting in the wings" in Buffalo that is a better coach. Unless people are itching for a Joe Brady coaching run. Evaluating after the season is still the right move, whether they want to take this information going public into consideration is up to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

You don't fire a coach for something they said 2.5 years ago in front of enough people that everyone in the organization knew about it, unless you were looking to fire the coach anyway and were itching for an excuse. Bills fans that want him fired mid-season while still (kinda) in the playoff hunt are a special kind of nutty, there isn't anyone "waiting in the wings" in Buffalo that is a better coach. Unless people are itching for a Joe Brady coaching run. Evaluating after the season is still the right move, whether they want to take this information going public into consideration is up to them.

If this happened 2.5 years ago,  and we're just heading about it they are absolutely putting it out there as justification for his firing. If his ass doesn't win the Super Bowl, you might as well invite him over to watch football with you next season. It might not be smart,  but that's exactly what's happening here. If they fall out of playoff contention,  he's gone. Maybe I'm just used to how the Commandos get down,  but if we start hearing stories that only got out because somebody from the team put them out, they don't want anybody to be able to question that firing. If one of the players was going to snitch,  it would have happened by now. This is from whoever is going to have to stand at a podium and answer questions about why you fired the most successful coach since Marv Levy.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

“I want you to remember a group of people who worked together on September 11th”

”The passengers of Flight 93?”

”Not exactly that”

This reminded me of Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket, boasting of how well the Marines trained Charles Whitman and Lee Harvey Oswald….

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

If this happened 2.5 years ago,  and we're just heading about it they are absolutely putting it out there as justification for his firing. If his ass doesn't win the Super Bowl, you might as well invite him over to watch football with you next season. It might not be smart,  but that's exactly what's happening here. If they fall out of playoff contention,  he's gone. Maybe I'm just used to how the Commandos get down,  but if we start hearing stories that only got out because somebody from the team put them out, they don't want anybody to be able to question that firing. If one of the players was going to snitch,  it would have happened by now. This is from whoever is going to have to stand at a podium and answer questions about why you fired the most successful coach since Marv Levy.

Hard to say. The reporter did an extremely long report on McDermott so we don't know how long he has been sitting on it while crafting the story. It wasn't just a quick tweet by Adam Scheffler or something that can be released at a certain time intentionally for a certain purpose. He could have gotten the information last summer for all we know, maybe Diggs leaked it after McDermott was an asshole when training camp started. Who knows. That's not to say it won't lead to his demise, although ESPN has it as happening in 2019 (TMZ said 2021, the article is behind a paywall so I can't read it myself). But I do think he damn sure better win this Sunday or hope someone else does something worse in the next five days so the news cycle moves on.

Usually in these cases, either the person is fired immediately (well we'll say within a week) or they are safe. The news cycle moves too quickly. People were mad at Josh Allen for dropping N Bombs on twitter for a couple weeks then everyone shrugged and moved on. But he needs to win Sunday or hope something worse happens in the meantime, neither of those two things happen and I'd give him a 50/50 chance surviving.

The thing with McDermott is its the exact same game every time they lose. They look like shit for 3 quarters, take the lead, then shit the bed on the last drive. Its time for a new voice, but yeah, that's definitely a hit piece.