DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

I would normally not recommend anything from a Conrad show, but they had the guy who wrote the Nitro book on Bischoffs podcast and boy does Eric bury Erickson in a way he seemingly never does with most people. He even called her 'a Kiss rat." 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I would normally not recommend anything from a Conrad show, but they had the guy who wrote the Nitro book on Bischoffs podcast and boy does Eric bury Erickson in a way he seemingly never does with most people. He even called her 'a Kiss rat." 

I dunno if you want THAT to be the reason for a recommendation.

• Like 1

It was more the indignation and tone from Eric that made it intriguing. Plus, it’s the rare instance where his memory isn’t called into question, since a lot of that chat is stuff that allegedly happened after he left in 2000. And I’m not normally one who wants to hear from Eric. 

On 11/15/2023 at 8:21 AM, Curt McGirt said:

There's a small hardcore punk distro/label I order from, Beach Impediment Records, and they have Be A Man and the Hulk Rules album for sale, along with OSTs of The Evil Dead and The Shining, and those are the only other non-punk records. It makes no sense and gives me a chuckle whenever I see that. 

I flipped through the new releases at my local record store last weekend and, for some reason, Be a Man was right at the front of one of the crates.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

I flipped through the new releases at my local record store last weekend and, for some reason, Be a Man was right at the front of one of the crates.

It was reissued for Record Store Day back in April. A lot of times, a record store is forced to order a certain number of a title for that. I've seen a ton of copies of Be a Man at record stores since then. I'm guessing a lot of places were stuck with them after people didn't want to pay like $30 for what's basically a novelty record.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Log said:

It was reissued for Record Store Day back in April. A lot of times, a record store is forced to order a certain number of a title for that. I've seen a ton of copies of Be a Man at record stores since then. I'm guessing a lot of places were stuck with them after people didn't want to pay like $30 for what's basically a novelty record.

Oh, I know, but (1) this place has a separate bin for RSD releases and (2) it was at the front of the new release bin in early November.  It's almost like they reordered it, which boggles the mind.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Speaking of bob sap, we just passed the anniversary of this televised gold

Jesus, I am sure there have been corpses that sounded more lively than that interviewer. I guess that's what those Hogan-era WWF taping marathons would have been like without drugs.

Thing is though, that whole thing is pretty random:

1) Why would you debut Bob Sapp like this?

2) Again, why is this the segment that long with the interviewee not established as a character?

3) What is the whole context of this segment within in this episode? I remember watching this Thunder not too long ago, and it's just kinda thrown in there for no reason (much like a bunch of stuff in WCW).

4) Not blaming the performer 100% on this cause Bob probably didn't come up that A level material, but Bob ain't exactly elevating this beyond just being there.

5) No one in this segment in a position where they can succeed. Does anyone remember when WWF during those IYH shows during both Free for All and also the main PPV show would randomly interview talents and you could tell they didn't have anything good to say, were nervous, told to do it at last second, and/or all of the above? There's where you get Sid fucking up on that one interview. I saw one with Austin early on in his run at Stone Cold, and it's wasn't good at all. There is the one with Shawn Michael at Mind Games that even Shawn knew it stunk (to the point, he turns his head away from the camera and puts his head in his hands). So if you put people in these things with zero prep and expect them to do great improv shit, probably not going to turn out well even removing Bob and some random lady and put in trained folks who have done this for several years. 

I’m sure there’s talent who could pull off a cold interview maybe someone like Regal maybe or someone who really loves the gimmick like DDP. Or the New Day or Iconic Duo, both groups did fun long backstage segments.
But most would be being set up to fail and probably just going to end up doing….good….lucha…..things.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

4) Not blaming the performer 100% on this cause Bob probably didn't come up that A level material, but Bob ain't exactly elevating this beyond just being there.

His "maniacal" laughter at the end really puts it over the top .

It's an amazing trainwreck like the part where they promote Sapp as a wrestler by talking about a toughman competition and him going "That's because I'm being trained by [slowly puts on hat] Sam Greco" to absolutely no reaction as Greco was under contract but never appeared beyond a backstage appearance (per wiki) which somehow the interviewer decides is him making a challenge against Greco and Sapp being like 'Yeah sure, maybe'.

It would be like Brock Lesnar debuting in WWE by talking backstage about some amateur wrestling he was going to be doing but not to worry because he was trained by "Shelton Benjamin!" and the interviewer going "Does that mean you're going to wrestle Shelton?" and not just showing up and destroying a bunch of dudes.

Sapp is one of those guys, who just like a bunch of the territory folks in up until all of them died out before him, lucky that there was a place for him to make money cause his prospects on just what had alone wasn't going to work. Having seen a video last week from one of those Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye shows where he's out there dancing with girls to Madonna's "Holiday", there is no other place where Bob Sapp as just Bob Sapp would work. He took advantage of the kakutogi boom, and the fact that Japan has this weird kinda relationship with Black people bordering on latent racism mixed with satire. If he comes a year or two too early or a year too late, we never hear of him outside of being a footnote. He would be the black Glenn Kulka.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Black Goldberg feels like the sort of idea somebody would have pitched in late era WCW that never would have went anywhere

Dude, if they didn't leave that segment on the cutting room floor, why would that idea stay in the writer's room? At this point, you're putting anything on TV.

22 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tragic update: Becky was cursed with a terrible lack of buzzer game. When they have Kofi or whoever do this in the future, they need to bring in James Holzhauer to train them. James is a WWE fan, this is doable! 

I feel this undersells things, Becky may have put up the worst Jeopardy performance of all time as through the first 60 questions (Celebrity Jeopardy has 3 rounds totaling 90 questions, regular Jeopardy is 2 rounds for 60 total) she got zero correct answers, which may not have ever been done before. This is why they will never let a wrestler do this again.