DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NBA SEASON: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

48 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I don’t get it

I understand the way it functions.

I do not understand why I'm supposed to care about it. I don't think I would care even if the Pistons were good and had a chance to win it.

I know they are trying to get some attention on the NBA during football season, but I've seen little evidence it's working. The NBA desperately wants people to pay attention before Christmas, but I just don't think it's possible.

Especially when there's no real tangible prize for fans to care about.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Tonight is the first (of what will probably be many) Tank battles 

Wizards at Pistons

Both are 2-14 and the two teams have lost a combined 22 straight 

The Pistons really don't appear to be trying to tank. They really really want to win this year. But injuries have wrecked them and they just cannot win a close game to save their lives.

They are finally starting to get guys back. If they don't turn things around and at least play halfway competitive ball soon, I think something drastic is gonna happen.

• Like 1

Mark Cuban is selling the Dallas Mavericks to the Adelson family for $3.5 Billion.

Somehow, he's tricked them into letting him retain his controlling shares and day to day control of the team.

I will say this about the NBA in-season tournament. It's done the impossible in the first year. It made Celtics fans root for the nets (thanks to the nets win but failing to beat the Celtics Point Differential, the Celtics qualified for the IST Quarterfinals.)

edit: funniest bit, The Celtics using Hack-a-Drummond up 29-ish.

Next year, the teams playing Drummond should do a 50/50 contest. The winner, instead of getting a cash prize, gets to foul Drummond six times during the game and make him take free throws.

Edited by SirFozzie

Absolutely bonkers finish between GS & SAC.  GS seemed like they had a chance to pull away, and Fox couldn't make a FT if he was shooting them into the ocean, but in the last 35 seconds, Malik Monk gets a steal, a 3, a Draymond turnover, and then another basket by Monk ices it.  Kerr foolishly wasted their last time out on an offensive foul challenge that there was no point to challenging with nearly 3 minutes still on the clock.  SAC wins their group as a result.

GS/SAC Battle # 2 in the playoffs, please.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

GS/SAC Battle # 2 in the playoffs, please.

I don't need that kind of stress. It's bad enough that the Warriors have played the Kings 5 times(2 pre-season, 3 regular season) in a month and a half. Average margin of victory over those games? 3 points. I look forward to two months without playing the Kings.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:43 PM, Brian Fowler said:

The Pistons really don't appear to be trying to tank. They really really want to win this year. But injuries have wrecked them and they just cannot win a close game to save their lives.

They are finally starting to get guys back. If they don't turn things around and at least play halfway competitive ball soon, I think something drastic is gonna happen.

Agreed, though I don't know what. 

As it stands, this team is built for a different era, it seems. With Bogey gone, they have exactly one player that the league respects and that's Cade. He's not the most efficient shooter, but he's the best one we have. Alec Burks seems to be a lot more streaky this season. Jaden Ivey can get there, I think.

I know the philosophy going into the rebuild was to get back to that classic Pistons defense-first mentality, but the game is soooo different now. Defend all you want; if you can't shoot, you're going to get run out of the gym. 

All that said, Ausar Thompson is a goddamn marvel. 

Bulls are so bad I'm reading articles about "Why the Bulls Can't Hit a Layup."

How did we get here? Lonzo Ball should probably get retroactive MVP votes for how bad we've become after his injury.

The focus of the week will be In-Season Tournament games

Today and Tomorrow are the Quarters

Thursday is the Semis

Saturday is the Finals

There will be no other games played on those days

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Headband Luka is here. League is cooked.

I don't want to go to far out on a limb here, but I'm beginning to suspect that Luka might be pretty decent at basketball.

• Like 1

Last three games he's scored 117, grabbed 34 boards, and dished out 38 assists.

Tonight he had 29-10-10 at halftime! The first ever first half 25 point triple double.

The big questions around him are will he get enough support for his teammates and will he run out of gas.