DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 PLAYOFFS

RIPPA

CBP is the best place in sports right now. Cheapest tickets on Stubhub right now are standing room only seats selling for $275 a pop and I know at least 10 people who are going to buy something in that price range. I am actually impressed Atlanta’s cheapest tickets are gong for $100 a pop now but legit would not be surprised if some of the inflation is because of maniacs from Philly going down. 

Someone wiped out the broadcasters from the Stott grand slam last night and had the video from his poppy reggae song entrance (yes, we know it sucks, but man it is fun to not just sing it at the ballpark but to link your arms around the shoulders and sing it while swaying back and forth with an entire row of fans, yes, that happened) to the home run to the lengthy 7th Nation Army. 

Peoole are claiming you could hear the explosion in New Jersey. I believe it. The stadium is pretty close to the Delaware River and I think I am remembering that sound travels more at night?

Either way — man, that place is the hornet’s mess.

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

The stadium is pretty close to the Delaware River and I think I am remembering that sound travels more at night?

Correct 

Ironically there was a little bit of a hubbub in my County over the weekend due to this very thing - because hunting season started over the weekend and folks in VA could hear the gunshots across the Potomac River in MD (and of course they thought they were getting invaded)

Let me tell you as a person in the know

Explosions/gunfire  "noise pollution" travel much farther on overcast days. 

They will often send out notices ahead of time or in the AM to let people know there will be firing that day and you don't need to call 911 or worse call post to complain. 

Can confirm first-hand that Stott’s Slam resulted in the second-loudest reaction I’ve ever personally experienced in a baseball stadium (2022 NLDS Game 3 Hoskins HR/spike tops it slightly). My Apple watch spent the first hour of the game noting 100 dB measurements and warnings of my hearing loss; as I had worn earplugs, I was good to go, thankfully.

5 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I think I am remembering that sound travels more at night?

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Explosions/gunfire  "noise pollution" travel much farther on overcast days.

My favorite atmospheric quirk is that AM radio travels farther during the night because its waves reflect off the ionosphere, so stations have to power down their transmitters’ strength at night to avoid interfering with each other’s broadcasts.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

My favorite atmospheric quirk is that AM radio travels farther during the night because its waves reflect off the ionosphere, so stations have to power down their transmitters’ strength at night to avoid interfering with each other’s broadcasts.

which allows me to do things like listen to WSM from Nashville or several Chicago AM stations while driving around after dark in the KC area. I think KYW in Philadelphia is the winner for longest distance i've picked up but that was in a car near a cell phone tower. WSB Atlanta/CFZM & CJBC Toronto are probably my non-aided longest catches.

sometimes a large enough overcast sky can carry radio waves far, which is how I ended up picking up a St. Louis AM station at around 2pm on a really cloudy day. That's not even getting into FM Skip which is a whole other unusual thing.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hamhock said:

Back in the early 80s, I was sitting in a pickup in the middle of a field on ranch in Montana. I was stuck there, no way to leave or anything. So I passed the time listening to an Orioles game on their local station, roughly 2000 miles away. 

• Like 3

Falling in love with baseball as a kid in the '80s quickly led to a love for AM radio. That way, I could listen to other games when the Cardinals weren't on KMOX. Some teams were easier to follow than others, of course, but I think my personal record was picking up a Giants game once on KNBR from San Francisco.

• Like 5

I’m glad that the catcher interference run turned out to be irrelevant to the outcome; this was a huge victory for the Phillies.

And holy shit, Arizona just curbstomped Kershaw out of the game in 0.1 innings with 6 runs.