• Runs per game: 7th
  • Hits: 10th
  • Doubles: 7th
  • Triples: 1st
  • Homers: 10th
  • Stolen Bases: 2nd
  • Walks: 9th
  • Strikeouts: 2nd fewest

So, be league average in a bunch of stuff without any glaring weaknesses?

The Diamondbacks beat the Phillies in 4 stats during the regular season: triples, stolen bases, walks, and not striking out

The top 3 NL teams in Total Bases all go down in disappointment. Braves/Dodgers/Phillies.

Every team playing every other team likely didn't mess with the 2023 standings too much but I still hate it.

One thing about the 2023 Diamondbacks is that they had a winning regular reason vs the Brewers and Rangers and a losing regular season against the Dodgers and Phillies.

4-2 vs the Brewers, who they swept in road games (they won 2 of 3 in Miller Park during the regular season)

5-8 vs the Dodgers, who they swept

3-4 vs the Phillies, who they beat in 7 games

3-1 vs the Rangers

As for the other playoff teams. DBacks went 3-3 vs the Braves, 1-2 vs the Orioles, 0-3 vs the Astros, 2-4 vs the Marlins, 0-3 vs the Twins, 1-2 vs the Rays, 0-3 vs the Blue Jays

The DBacks also did stuff like going 1-6 vs the Mets, and also going 6-1 vs the Cubs, 10-3 vs the Rockies, and 5-1 vs the Nationals

The games may be good, but I think it’s going to be hard to interest fans in the Series.  Personally, I feel like this is one of the blander matchups you could get for the Series.  I’m closer to a hardcore fan than I am a casual, but i don’t feel like this is going to be must-see tv.  I’ll probably catch at least a few of the games, but if I have something else to do or watch… I’m looking forward more to the offseason, which always stirs up a little drama with free agent moves.

lol, maybe MLB should take a page from Vince’s book and do a phantom title switch.  Don’t play the games, just head straight into the off-season and whip up a Wikipedia page saying Rangers won in six or whatever.  Supposedly, most casual fans have trouble remembering who won the previous year even when the games were memorable,

I like the pitch clock. For the most part, there was little fuckery from umps messing with the pitch clock and it was handled pretty well.

What I don't like are umps continuing to call wildly inconsistent strike zones.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What I don't like are umps continuing to call wildly inconsistent strike zones.

This, too, shall eventually be a thing of the past.

6 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

This, too, shall eventually be a thing of the past.

Not soon enough, but yeah, I agree. I think it was the 8th or 9th inning and someone had an AB after Harper where there were a couple very questionable balls and strikes. By that point though it didn't matter and I didn't care that much. When Big Dick Nick and Turner go 0 for EVERYTHING and everyone else is pressing on their ABs and trying to crank homers on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pitches then the game is pretty much over.

And there's a lot to say about how young and exciting the Dbacks are and it would be neat to see them beat a team that put together a video game roster in the WS, but I ultimately do not care about either team. 

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

For what it’s worth, didn’t one of the umps last week have a “99% correct” game according g to some stat nerd rating system ?

The TV boxes are often wrong and the graphics they use exaggerate how much pitches miss by. You'll see pitches that seem to have missed by a ton according to on-screen graphics when in reality they're like an inch off. 

CloseCallSports on YouTube is great for showing this stuff. They use the raw electronic data and 3D tracking to show how the TV is sometimes not great. 

I'm barely paying attention to the strike zone box and rely on statcast and other shit after a game. The stuff near the end of the game that I thought was bad didn't even matter anyway when everyone in a Phillies uniform was swinging at pitches low and outside. Like actually low and outside. So I guess credit where credit is due to the Dbacks and being better prepared for what was going to be thrown at them while the Phillies, particularly Trea Turner, was just swinging at pure junk.

I'm rooting for the D-backs as well, even though they just dispatched the Phillies. I also hold the Rangers organization in personal and professional contempt and disdain.

11 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It still blows my mind that they use the Grateful Dead as the music to go to break . That would have been insane when Garcia was alive. 

Over a decade in and I’m still not over them using Ozzy to sell cars