DVDVR Message Board

WWE ROSTER PURGE - 9/21/23

ChesterCopperpot

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

example: would Waylon Mercy have been better being based on Deniro’s Max Cady or Robert Mitchum version? Or better yet, be based on Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter? 

It would have been better if Dan Spivey's body wasn't 90 years old by the time he got the gimmick.

I dunno. 1995 WWF was a little bit too goofy for something as multi-layered as Waylon Mercy. You have a wrestling dentist, a wrestling coat stealing pirate, (very briefly) a magician, a wrestling professor from a 1980s Animal House ripoff, a grunge guy a good 3 years after the height of grunge, Bertha Faye, and hog farmers. It's a cornucopia of suck. 

• Like 1

I read a lot of the "well A should hire B and do C with them" around and most of it is in good fun and reasonable enough but like... I feel a lot of people haven't seen Shelton in a while? Dude's 48 and has little of his athleticism left, he has enough general knowledge to still be okay but like... he does not have a Jeff Jarret level of shtick that he can dig into to keep up. His current ceiling is probably where he was with Cedric, being teamed up with a younger guy who can do much of the heavy lifting, or a low card vet working with the very green so they can get comfortable reps. I've seen multiple people independently go "Shelton should join the BCC" and like... no. That time has passed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, username said:

I feel a lot of people haven't seen Shelton in a while? Dude's 48 and has little of his athleticism left, he has enough general knowledge to still be okay but like... he does not have a Jeff Jarret level of shtick that he can dig into to keep up.

Unless something has changed massively in the past six months to a year Shelton is still in fantastic shape and pretty athletic. Its weird to be acting like he isn't well above what guys like Jarret and Jericho are now and frankly what they were at his age.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

But, in a way, isn’t taking a character from an old movie, one younger fans wouldn’t know be better than ripping off a character from that years number one movie? Also, wasnt Charles Wrights name in the Carolina indues Baron Samedi, which I think was Geoffrey Holders name in Live and Let Die? 

example: would Waylon Mercy have been better being based on Deniro’s Max Cady or Robert Mitchum version? Or better yet, be based on Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter? 

I totally got Night of The Hunter vibes from Miro talking to God,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It would have been better if Dan Spivey's body wasn't 90 years old by the time he got the gimmick.

I dunno. 1995 WWF was a little bit too goofy for something as multi-layered as Waylon Mercy. You have a wrestling dentist, a wrestling coat stealing pirate, (very briefly) a magician, a wrestling professor from a 1980s Animal House ripoff, a grunge guy a good 3 years after the height of grunge, Bertha Faye, and hog farmers. It's a cornucopia of suck. 

Hey now shit kicking rednecks has never been a sucky wrestling gimmick

5 hours ago, username said:

I read a lot of the "well A should hire B and do C with them" around and most of it is in good fun and reasonable enough but like... I feel a lot of people haven't seen Shelton in a while? Dude's 48 and has little of his athleticism left, he has enough general knowledge to still be okay but like... he does not have a Jeff Jarret level of shtick that he can dig into to keep up. His current ceiling is probably where he was with Cedric, being teamed up with a younger guy who can do much of the heavy lifting, or a low card vet working with the very green so they can get comfortable reps. I've seen multiple people independently go "Shelton should join the BCC" and like... no. That time has passed.

ok put him with Lee Moriarty in the tag  division 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Hi Dave.

Just wondering; If Ali is a Top 5 "How did we miss?" guy, who do you have as the other 4?

Hey. Great question. Everyone’s list will probably vary, as the definition of “miss” will be slightly different for everyone, but here is mine;

1. Zack Ryder. Only Vince McMahon would punish someone for getting over on their own. What the wwe office did to Zack was the wrestling equivalent of a Coca Cola executive finding out they’d sold more orange soda than Coke Classic one quarter and then taking a big creamy shit in the vat of orange soda so that no one could buy any more.  And I would know. After all, I am Dave Bautista.

2. Keith Lee. Pretty self explanatory. What even is a fucking Bearcat? I’m seriously asking. I, Dave Bautista, didn’t finish high school, so my knowledge of fauna isn’t as extensive as some others might be. 

3. Rusev. This should’ve been as easy as casting me, Dave Bautista, in a superhero ensemble comedy franchise. Miro is big, terrifying, and sneaky funny. He’s got a great look and has everything wwe is allegedly looking for in a top star. Not seeing his star potential is like not thinking Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be a huge hit. 

4. Dean Ambrose. As much as he accomplished in wwe, he barely scratched the surface of what he could’ve done. Much like my, Dave Bautista’s, 2020 feature ISpy , a combination of internal and external factors held down Dean’s box office capabilities. I look at what he’s doing now and it makes even I, Dave Bautista, want to dust off the blue ring gear and give Tony Khan a call. I heard he lurks here sometimes. Call me, Tony. Christian Cage has my number.

Honorable mention: Dana Brooke. I, Dave Bautista, am a big fan of hers.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

@L_W_P if you will permit me, Dave Bautista, one more, I promise to keep it short and impactful, like my role in the Knives Out sequel.

Ricky Starks. Now I, Dave Bautista, know that Ricky was never officially under WWE contract, but my good friend Triple H told me, Dave Bautista, that they had an offer for Starks to come work in nXt just before the pandemic hit. Unfortunately, due to Covid related cost cutting, they were unable to follow through on their offer. Can you even imagine? I, Dave Bautista, know that I, Dave Bautista, would’ve moved whatever mountains necessary to get such a can’t miss, obviously apparent future star like goddamned Stroke Daddy Starks on my roster, but I, Dave Bautista, also had the good sense to accept a seemingly minor part in a Marvel franchise. But I, Dave Bautista, digress. Can you, not Dave Bautista, even fathom the kind of fat headed idiocy it requires to not see the obvious, unavoidable star quality Starks possesses? I, Dave Bautista, mean, the kind of abject stupidity it takes to think that a charisma tsunami like Starks isn’t someone you build your entire company around is almost breathtaking. Confounding. Defies all logic. It takes a very special brand of mouth-breathing dipshit to write Starks off as just another guy, and I, Dave Bautista, would never be accused of that. I, Dave Bautista, watch Starks’ promos on guys like my good friend Chris Jericho, MJF, Hobbs, and others, and I, Dave Bautista, ask myself, Dave Bautista; “Dave Bautista, how could anyone who considers themselves knowledgeable about sports entertainment not believe that Richard ‘Stroke Daddy’ Starks is maybe the best combination of work, promo, look, and undefinable charisma in the wrestling business today?” Then I, Dave Bautista, take a few deep breaths, mentally count my GOTG3  money, and remind myself; “Hey, Dave Bautista, you handsome son of a bitch, some people like things that suck. There’s nothing you, Dave Bautista, can do about that.”

Anyways, I, Dave Bautista have to run. Chris Pratt is gonna come over and we’re gonna grill kebab and make paper maché origami. 

This was fun. I, Dave Bautista, am glad my friend Phil told me about this place. He said to say hello. Actually, he said “holá.” He said you all would understand that.

Animal out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2023 at 5:33 AM, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrOGyVu7gVU&t=272s&ab_channel=EricBugenhagen

Bugenhagen (Bugez) is a bit miffed, and thinks he was released due to 'a backstage political play'. In the comments.....

I can definitely see what he's saying, though I can't exactly say that I'm in desperate need of seeing Bugenhagen wrestle ever again and in WWE that actually matters. But it is interesting to see someone who should have been right up 279% up Vince's ally (decent amateur background, ridiculous muscular development, perfectly suited to 'written on weed, delivered on coke' promos) basically completely fail.

I think the truth is though, you look at his Cagematch record, think about how short many of those matches were....and this is a guy with very little actual ringtime, with the vast majority of his matches against other green guys. Whilst the current house show schedule is better for many, I'm not sure it was good for a guy like Bugenhagen - he really needed time with the veteran heavyweights and it didn't happen.

Sounds like this dude is just waiting to go full Ryback...

• Haha 1

Eric “Rick Boogz” Bugenhagen was already a successful YouTuber and influencer before he signed to WWE. So his opinion on the way that WWE failed to capitalise on his unique selling points is coming from the perspective of someone who actually has capitalised on them.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

The division was at the bottom of the food chain with Bryan being significantly well above it. Also looking at Ali's wiki it sounds more like Ali's 205 performances impressed Vince who moved him to Smackdown with Ali being chosen by management as someone to push when Bryan was looking for younger faces to fight.

I still don't see how it would have hurt to have a month where he faces every guy on a different show, they all lose, Ali wins and he gets elevated. Even if they lose they get to show what they got. Ali looks super at having won the trial by fire. It's simple enough. 

Boogz's career is kinda interesting. He gets over with the crowd in NXT with the whole air guitar/rock out thing but spends his whole time in NXT working dark matches and house shows. He gets called up to play an Old Spice commercial character. He finally gets basically his NXT character back and gets paired with Shinsuke and gets pushed and faces The Usos at WrestleMania but gets injured and really never ever gets back to that level after his return.

So reckless speculation but he Boogz might have been one of the few talents from NXT that might not have been that excited when Triple H took over the main brands.

35 minutes ago, twiztor said:

@just drew i am losing it at the Bautista bit. Just sitting here at work fucking dying. kudos, good sir. and might i mention, i look forward to your next movie.

Shouldn’t I get some of the credit for saying he acts like he’s Bautista with his unrequited love of Dana Brooke? Without that comment the gimmick doesn’t exist.

P.S.

He has you on block. That’s why the @ didn’t link to his account properly.

47 minutes ago, twiztor said:

@just drew i am losing it at the Bautista bit. Just sitting here at work fucking dying. kudos, good sir. and might i mention, i look forward to your next movie.

I, Dave Bautista, am glad you enjoyed it. And I, Dave Bautista, have no idea what my Little Friend is referring to. You aren't ignored. I, Dave Bautista, would never...

Edited by just drew

10 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I, Dave Bautista, am glad you enjoyed it. And I, Dave Bautista, have no idea what my Little Friend is referring to. You aren't ignored. I, Dave Bautista, would never...

You'll walk for miles inside this pit of danger.   

A place where no one follows you.   

You walk alone.  

(Enjoy the new title)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

You'll walk for miles inside this pit of danger.   

A place where no one follows you.   

You walk alone.  

(Enjoy the new title)

I wish I'd seen that before committing to a new handle for six months lol...

• Haha 4