DVDVR Message Board

WrestleDream - 10/1/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Upon hearing about Claudio/Barnett I was really interested in seeing it, but work kept me from paying that close of attention. I'll have to go back and watch but what I saw looked good

Also missed the other two matches on the preshow on account of being distracted, but I can't say either of those interested me.

Having Aussie Open drop the ROH titles to serve an angle with MJF and Cole is stupid, but at least I can understand it and the two of them are high level wrestlers. MJF being in a handicap match should be an easy way to get the titles off he and Cole (especially if Cole's injury is legit) and actually use them to elevate a team that could use it. The Righteous are kind of polarizing around here, but they've been built up as an actual threat over the past few weeks and looked like clowns the entire match. Even though MJF cheated to win this match did no one any favors.

Eddie got to have another strong style match on a big state with someone he is clearly a big fan of. They beat the shit out of eachother and put on a snug spectacle.

Julia Hart has probably done better than just about anyone else in AEW as far as fully putting together a character and presentation that all looks bigtime. Given how never-ending her initial heel turn was, it's good to see something has actually come of it. I was looking forward to this match as Kris is great and I wanted to see what Julia could do in a longer and more competitive match. Statlander showed off her power as well as how well she can sell here. Julia's winning streak being broken made Kris look like a bigger deal.

Didn't really care about the 4 way tag match.

Swerve/Page was another match I thought had a lot of potential. Swerve has really been on fire as of late and Page is a fresh opponent. Given the propensity Swerve has for his high spot style I thought there was a lot of actual wrestling and phsychology going here. The 450 onto the arm being worked over was a really nice touch. This was one of the better matches of the night. Let Swerve be the person to take the belt off MJF.

I don't have anything negative to say about Yuta/Starks, but it could have just as easily been on Wednesday or Saturday instead.

When they announced Danielson/ZSJ I figured it would be the main, so it was a surprise to see it on here. It's been a while since I've seen ZSJ wrestle consistently but hear he's gotten a lot better about getting too cute and doing his "other guy stands/lies there and cooperates while I demonstrate a hold" schtick. Both guys went after each other's limbs, just tring to grab something and wrench at an unnatural angle coupled with a lot of grappling and throwing strikes when things got too intense. This was an amazing match, but the commentary booth was way too busy here and I have no desire to hear JR or Moxley call a match.

The six man was fine but I didn't have much interest in it.

The tag titles match was yet another match proving FTR are among the GOAT of tag teams, though Aussie Open more than carried their own weight. That top rope Shatter Machine variation looked badass.

Darby being a hometown guy warrants him being in the main event for a midcard title? Throughout the past few years Darby has shown he has little regard for his own well-being, but those stair spots were painful to watch. There was so much dog and pony show going on that when Nick Wayne came out I started suspecting some sort of swerve. It was executed well enough but this storyline isn't something I'm really invested in, though I do wonder how they're going to explain it.
So....Edge had a video package done up and sent to the production truck because he knew his brother and crew were going to beat down Sting and he wanted to make the save? Him showing up is some TNA/WCW hiring any over the hill WWE talent.

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Tony's turning into a bigger starfucker than Dixie.  It's been talked about, but what's the fucking upside with getting Edge?  A 44 year old with a bad neck that can work 5 times a year?  Finish a program 10 years past it's sell by?

Shifting the narrative during the post-Jade propaganda war? Popping a rating? Setting the stage for a smart and over endpoint to the current, popular Christian arc? They haven't had a big debut in forever. It was fun. People cheered. Darby and Nick are better for it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Shifting the narrative during the post-Jade propaganda war? Popping a rating? Setting the stage for a smart and over endpoint to the current, popular Christian arc? They haven't had a big debut in forever. It was fun. People cheered. Darby and Nick are better for it.

Cool.  Hey, the Hardys are already there, amd Bubba's free.  Let's let D-Von take no bumps and run back another old WWE classic to pop a buy rate and ignore more of the roster than Coach K already does.

Just now, Octopus said:

I was moving and my back hurts. It sounds like I missed a great show. Should I pick up a replay? 

Yes, if for nothing else just for Danielson/ZSJ

• Like 1

Just now, Octopus said:

I was moving and my back hurts. It sounds like I missed a great show. Should I pick up a replay? 

I would. Danielson/ZSJ and FTR/Aussie Open were worth ths $50. Everything else was just icing on top of the cake. 

• Like 3

The Swerve/Page match was maybe the best match live. Definitely the hottest match. Swerve is over as fuck in Seattle. That match was awesome and I think the crowd changing the heel/face dynamic played apart in the match being so much fun. Plus the 253 chant we started as audible on the live broadcast. 

• Like 12

Great card. Swerve-Hanger was my MOTN. My favourite little thing was the colour palette of ZSJ-Bryan, very pleasing to look at. I'm not thrilled about Edge, but thought that was a cool fucking moment. Getting the music is wild.

• Like 3

Well that certainly was a good show. Bryan vs. ZSJ and FTR vs. Aussie Open were amazing matches. But every match delivered on some level tonight.

I loved how the main event went from wrestling to a brawl to off the rails. I was very surprised Darby lost, but I'm all for Christian to continue on this roll he's on. Nick Wayne turning on Darby was a nice touch I didn't see coming.

I was also shocked by Adam Copeland's appearance. I guess the WWE did not trade mark "The Rated R Superstar". It's weird seeing him in an AEW ring, but I'm for it. He was probably living some dream being in the ring with Sting at the end.

Overall a great show.

• Like 4

Edge is on record of saying he wanted to retire against Christian so if this is a short run where he gets to go out on his own terms this time then that's pretty great. I think Nick's heel turn made sense (anger at Darby for forgiving Fox so easily) and we have a ready six man of Cage/Wayne/Luchasaurus vs. Darby/Sting/Edge ready to go.

Outstanding show and AEW rules the motherfucking.... you get the idea.

Danielson/Sabre was everything I hoped it would be. I was super into Hangman/Swerve and was surprised that even though it was Swerve's House~ we didn't at least a split crowd for Hangman. Bucks winning was a surprise since I thought Bucks/FTR was done but I won't complain about another match with those two. Really loved Julia and Kris Stat. I wore my House of Black shirt tonight to support our Spooky B-..... to support her but figured she wasn't winning that one. Someday, she'll get one though. Was surprised the Righteous didn't win but this definitely adds some good steam 1) how MJF can be a double champion without a partner and 2) the mystery angle going on too.

I had a few friends over for the show too and we all said we hope AEW PPVs to Max happens sooner than later as in what like... 6 weeks it's been All In/All Out/Wrestledream and while all 3 were great... it's starting to hit the wallet a little.

• Like 3

I loved this show but the six man was without hyperbole one of the worst professional wrestling matches I've ever seen in my life. 

The FTR match wasn't much better, especially with Fletcher nearly killing Wheeler like three or four times. At least he did the job. Can we just team Mark Davis with Josh Woods or someone solid like that and end the Aussie Open experiment before Fletcher cripples someone?

Everything else was good to great. Eddie/Shibata, Julia/Stat, Danielson/ZSJ and the main were all among my favorite AEW matches this year. Swerve vs Hangman was very good, though I would have just had Swerve win clean minus the Nana interference.

The handicap match was weirdly captivating as a one-man-show by Max. His Brundleheel / Heel Who Dreamed He Was A Babyface And Loved It character is one of the more original characters in wrestling in awhile, which is ironic since he keeps the balls juggled in the air by employing so many old school hackneyed schticks. Eventually the Dream Will Be Over and he'll be the devil incarnate again but I'm here for the extremely long build to that day. 

Starks vs Yuta was a nothing match but was inoffensive. I liked all the pre show matches. Mox is funnier on commentary than I would have expected.

I loved the debut at the end. Had a big time feel they need right now in light of the dip in ratings and attendance. A short term spike can make itself useful by getting eyes on the product as a whole. 

EDIT: forgot to mention the four-way, which was as stupid as I expected it to be but not nearly as annoying. Also I've seen a million clusterfuck 4 way tag matches but don't think I've ever seen the spot where the heel team try to win by the one guy pinning their own partner -- that spot made me laugh. My spouse suggested that the other three teams came up with it and decided the Ass Boys were the only two dumb enough to believably pull it off, which also made me laugh. Nice of Penta to do a job here. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

I'm not the biggest Edge fan, but I'm looking forward to Copeland/Sting/Darby vs. Christian/Luchasaurus/Wayne. 

I forgot to mention it earlier, but there was no good reason for MJF to beat The Righteous. The Righteous had been getting pushed and needed the win a lot more than MJF. The only reason I can see MJF keeping the title is for Roderick Strong to step in as Max's partner and either become friends or turn on Max as part of Adam Cole's masterplan. 

• Like 3

Darby is a maniac.  I loved that match truly because it was a car wreck and I don't mean that as a bad thing,  it is what it is... I can't look away.  I had the feeling of Foley and Taker and the Hell in a Cell spectacle running through my veins as I'm watching this unfold.  

I'm not a huge Edge fan but that was definitely a moment and it's great to see him and Christian back together doing shit.  Christian is on another miracle run right now too.  

Swerve vs. Hangman was probably my personal favorite match...    but Danielson and Sabre Jr. was really fucking cool too.  

Good show. 

• Like 2

Just now, AaronMLuke said:

Shit thing to say, given Eddie's known and stated history. 

It's cool, man. I joke about it enough, so maybe some people don't know the hell it's put me through. I just take it one day at a time. That's all I can do. 

• Like 9

Just got back from the show. My seats were right by the entrance ramp, near the tunnel where the losers exited. Got to see lots of the set up, like the stretcher getting brought out before Darby took that gnarly stairs bump.

Match of the night for me was Swerve/Hangman. That was a really cool atmosphere live. Crowd was 100% behind Swerve. Lots of "fuck you Cowboy" chants.

Dragon/ZSJ was a close second. That was the match I was the most excited for and it totally delivered.

Julia Hart/Stat also ruled. Loved the double tombstone. Couldn't tell from where I was sitting but it looked like Julia botched the springboard off of Stat's back into the Sexton?

MJF made the Righteous look like jokes.

Jerigolden Lovers vs Don Callis Family was fun for what it was, loved the abdominal stretch chain and Sammy is a great smarmy prick. Ibushi was barely in it though.

Yuta/Starks was a piss break match and the crowd was really tired for FTR and Aussie open but they perked back up for the main

Main event was fun. Saw the Nick Wayne turn coming a mile away after Darby forgave AR Fox for wearing Nick Wayne's blood and smashing a picture of his dad. Not sure how Edge on AEW is gonna turn out, but that Alter Bridge song is real good and that pop was LOUD.

Great show, gonna have to watch the broadcast back tomorrow.

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's cool, man. I joke about it enough, so maybe some people don't know the hell it's put me through. I just take it one day at a time. That's all I can do. 

I get that and Good on you for being  understanding.  Given my own failings in that regard, I find comments  like that irritating.  that's  just me though. 

Great ppv. Bryan and Zsj was awesome. The rest of the show was great.

Edited by AaronMLuke
Stupid auto correct
  • Like 2

From the media scrum, Edge sounded legit happy to be there and said he's planning to be full time and looking forward to wrestling a number of people on the roster (Claudio, Joe, Moxley, Omega) as well as advising the younger wrestlers. They're having a show on Tuesday October 10 because it's Tony Kahn's birthday and Edge will be wrestling Luchasaurus in his debut.

• Like 4

Half-assed live report, here:

Swerve-Hangman was easily the most fun live, hitting right in the sweet spot of a 4 hour (not including the Zero Hour) show. Crowd was way hotter for Swerve than anyone else all night. Easily my MOTN.

FTR-Aussie was fun and well put together, with Aussie Open having a more sizeable following than I would have guessed for a very talented in-ring but otherwise sort of generic team.

Danielson/ZSJ was conceptually very impressive (and compelling!) for a style that isn’t really my cup of tea. I feel very lucky to have gotten to see Danielson live post-comeback. Last time I saw him was the Ryback/Team Hell No v. Shield TLC(?) match whenever that was.

Poor Ricky Starks was working to crickets after everyone spent their energy on Swerve/Page but he and Yuta put together a tight, hard-hitting match.

Julia Hart and Stat did an amazing job. Wanna echo what other people are saying about her growth and how much people were buying into her character.

Always impressed with how over the usual crew are: Bucks, Kenny, Jericho and the Lucha Bros. Every time I’ve been in person, the energy hasn’t waned a bit, but I am now firmly on the side of Orange Cassidy’s momentum having been wasted.

The main event was fun, classic, big time wrestling. That third bump on the stairs was gross. Christian’s the best and it was exciting to see Edge literally anywhere besides WWE. Am I looking forward to an Edge-Adam Cole classic? No. Do I think it would be neat to see Edge and Christian team up one last time? Sure, why not. Keeps things feeling lively even if it’s just a quick hit of nostalgia. I don’t imagine they are gonna put the world title on him or anything.

• Like 3