DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 9/4 - 9/10/2022

Dolfan in NYC

After that ending, I really hope next week's NXT opens with a kid holding a snowglobe with a miniature CWC inside.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 3

Stratton/James was perfectly solid though on the short side. Dug that both had no qualms about being the cheating heels they are. 

Ilja/Mensah was solid and a nice showcase for Oro before Ilja put him down.

Hudson/Frazer was short but nice while it lasted as a power vs. speed match.

Bate/Dabbo-Kato was another short one though again fun while it lasted as Bate's will vs. DK's power.

Ali/Dragon was good with plenty left for an even better rematch. They kept the Dom as ref screwiness to minimum making it count at the finish. 

Butch/Axiom was damn good stuff and the first draw of the Global Heritage Invitational. I only wish we got picture-in-picture. The two just have so much damn chemistry and showed off a bunch of neat things.

Thea/Gigi was pretty decent. Dug Thea's entrance with Jacy constantly pointing out little things Thea should change. I want Thea to stay a face, but I have to admit I do love seeing Jacy slowly try to corrupt her. 

Bron/Wagner was a fun brawl. The post match stuff was an interesting direction to go. I guess they want to put over Bron being such a cruel bastard. I did enjoy Corbin gradually liking Bron's meanness more as the match went. The man was giddy for the stair crush post match.

The show was solid. A lot of matches were on the shorter side this time around though Axiom/Butch and Bron/Wagner delivered. Felt like the tag division got a bit of a small reset with the Creeds inviting all of them to their gym. At this point I assume we aren't getting the Dusty Classic which annoys me since this would have been the perfect time for it. Digging all the Heritage Invitational matches. I like the general stories being set up for the women though I have mixed feelings on Becky/Tiffany. Feels like way too big a match for Stratton and having it on NXT tv instead of the next PLE feels dumb. I'm sure it will end up good, but I don't see the need for it right now.

On 9/5/2023 at 2:46 PM, Eivion said:

At first glance I'm pretty sure it did as I don't see Gunther beating Gable's ass in front of his family which happened during picture-in-picture. Could have just missed it but there was a good 5-7 minutes of commercials during that time frame.

yeah - they cut the ad breaks in that Youtube video 

• Sad 2

Dear god was Gable/Gunther special. Absolute Free TV MOTYC. This was a match only the WWE could have considering the lure of the IC title and the stakes put on the match. This was really similar to the outstanding Usos/New Day “last stand” from Smackdown last year.

They also did a great job the past few weeks building Gable up — soft face turn, the goofy story with Maxine, tossing Viking’s like they are nothing, beating Gunther via count out after a German on the floor as opposed to a fluke, etc.

The match itself was so friggin’ good — Gable is an underdog in size only and (as an Olympian) every bit a ring general as Gunther, who also came in with the arrogance expected of a dominant champion. That end was just a chef’s kiss, with Gunther taking Gables’s head off and making his daughter cry. 

A+ stuff. Man, the WWE is absolutely on fire right now. No way 18 months ago they could pull off that subtle and slow build to get a Chad Gable banger main event.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

yeah - they cut the ad breaks in that Youtube video 

I really wish WWE would do what they did for the famous Cena/Punk RAW match from February 2013. WWE very briefly put the entire match on YouTube without ad breaks. WWE then took it down.

• Like 1

There isn't a wrestler I'd like to see jump ship more than Chad Gable. Such an incredible all around talent going nowhere in the land of the giants. Er, 'Raw Main Event' aside, I assume that's still the case? This bout against WALTER was the first WWE match I've seen since around Mania. 

Man I need to find that Chad Gable vs Arik Cannon match now. Awesome to see GUNTHER break the record. The company is obsessed with moments and making history but this one feels deserved and realistically is as high as GUNTHER may go. Liked the match with the count-out victory more and didn't like them exploiting Gable's kid crying but if we he does win it, it'll be the best payoff they've done in a looooooong time

In a GUNTHER match I was surprised to see the most vicious move was actually a kick. The daughter should have been crying seeing that instead of just at the loss. 

No idea why Cole calls them "lariat clothesline"s. Or why any wrestler is still using the flying headbutt after its history in the business. 

Yeah Chad Gable indie wrestler career is definitely added to some people Holy Grails after today

Speaking of former Olympic wrestlers,  Gable Stevenson has been removed from the NXT roster.   I would think there is no chance he is going up to the main roster.  So it looks like the great experiment is over as a complete failure.  Not a knock on Gable as there was plenty of incredible amateur wrestlers who could do it in the "professional" set up

Edited by hammerva

Gable has defied pretty much all shit booking odds to get himself over while being one of the more underrated guys on the roster. From his team with Jordan to his singles runs he's been awesome at just about every turn. His two matches against Jack Gallagher on 205 Live (back when that was one of the best and least watched of the WWE shows) get slept on because of where they took place (and probably because of what happened with Gallagher) but were amazing.

Man maybe my brain is not working right. But I am thinking we could get to a Bloodline versus Judgment Day War Games? 

I’m pretty sure JD referenced the Bloodline and Jey Uso on Raw? 

The pop would be fucking wild if JD was beating the hell out of Jey and then The Tribal Chief and gang appear.

Or I could see Sami reuniting with Jey, Jimmy and Solo — the three brothers to keep Roman away. JD already has their recruit lined up so it is a 4 on 4 match, with Rhea doing Rhea things for interference and etc. 

This could be a giant stretch but that could be a great “battle for supremacy” feud.

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Speaking of former Olympic wrestlers,  Gable Stevenson has been removed from the NXT roster.   I would think there is no chance he is going up to the main roster.  So it looks like the great experiment is over as a complete failure.  Not a knock on Gable as there was plenty of incredible amateur wrestlers who could do it in the "professional" set up

I see Gable on the NXT section of WWE.com.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Man maybe my brain is not working right. But I am thinking we could get to a Bloodline versus Judgment Day War Games? 

Feels more likely we get Judgement Day vs. Sami/KO/Jey/? (Drew, Cody, or Riddle). I don't see them bringing the Bloodline into it directly outside of references.

I've always been a fan of the idea of factions and gangs in wrestling. It just depends on if I care about the people in the factions. This show went full 1997 with Gang Warz about to start. But this time it's with stars, and not DOA and everyone in the Boricuas besides Savio. I'm a Bobby and Profits man, myself.

• Like 1

Charlotte/Shotzi vs. Bayley/Io was pretty solid. Glad to see Shotzi pick up the pin.

Knight/Theory was shockingly good. Not that I expected it to be bad, but it definitely did far more for me than expected. I am happy to see Waller and Theory still hanging around each other. They feed into each other well as characters.

Brutes vs. Judgement Day was damn good. It continues to be impress me how much Ridge has improved under Dunne and Sheamus. 

AJ/Jimmy felt a few minutes too long, but was generally good. Really dug the beginning with AJ so fired up. Also dug how Jimmy was clearly expecting Solo to interfere for him only to get nothing.

Match wise, I thought this was a good show with everything being worth catching. The Brutes/JD tag was especially good and MOTN though Theory/Knight was not too far behind. Segment wise there was nothing great, but everything was pretty decent. I'm definitely digging the gang wars setup and am curious to see where it leads come Survivor Series. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, on LVL UP:

Tavion Heights d. Ikemen Jiro

Fallon Henley d. Karmen Petrovic. Petrovic has a promo that meanders a bit beforehand, but it's pretty well delivered. This was mostly Henley, and I'd describe her performance as surprisingly confident, with a hint of irritation. Her punch from the outside looked good, she had a nice sidestep on a whip and a nice bodyscissor roll-up. Petrovic is still work in progress, Henley could probably fit in at a lower tier of the main roster right now.

Joe Coffey d Akira Tozawa