DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

On 9/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, odessasteps said:

Surprised there weren’t examples of taping 2 weeks of tv in the old days and someone dying before the next taping.

Didn't that happen when Moondog Mayne died, in either San Francisco or Los Angeles?

Watching the Shield/Wyatts six man from 2014. Great stuff, of course. But, goddamn I’d forgot about Cole reading tweets all the goddamn time during that period. Like, half his commentary is just reading tweets verbatim. 

• Like 1

Less successful gimmick matches: A Brick Wall Match. A match where the ring was surrounded by brick walls.

A number of problems arose. One: it took a long time to assemble the brick walls around the ring. Two: the fans couldn't see what was going on in the ring. Three: A door wasn't built and the competitors were stuck in there until the cage was disassembled.

A couple of Deathmatch guys figured out how to do the cement block spot safely. You have the victim lie on the ground, prop a cement block up against his head, and then throw a second cement block at the first one. Do it hard enough and it'll smash one or the other, without actually fracturing the skull of the person taking the impact.

• Like 1

ok, i've been drinking since before i started watching All Out this afternoon. so forgive me any oversights. But i have some thoughts that aren't exclusive to AEW.

1) best strap match of all time? that Danielson/Starks match was wild and awesome and i'm here for it. potentially hyperbole and recency bias, but i would rank it right up there at least. different category from dog collar matches IMO.

2) there was a lot of AJPW moments. and there always has been with AEW, and i see nothing wrong with that. but (and seriously, forgive me for being unfamiliar) what if AEW leaned more heavily into lucha history? would it be potentially possible to see a bunch of old-timer lucha guys showing up? could they work memorable spots? would AEW ALL IN (MEXICO CITY) be a possibility?
seriously, i have big thoughts on the "ALL IN" branding, i think a second straight year in the UK is a bad idea, and would like to see it used for big worldwide expansions. maybe every other year?  but beside that, i think AEW could potentially benefit from leaning into lucha history as well as 'strong style' history. 2025 ALL IN (AUSTRALIA). 2027 ALL IN (ARENA MEXICO/MEXICO CITY). 2029 ALL IN (TOKYO DOME). and future shows wherever else. keep it for some huge new territory expansion. at least to begin with. i don't think it's a bad prediction that AEW All In UK 2023 will vastly outdraw the 2024 show. 

3) i didn't watch the last ROH PPV. i don't watch the weekly show. but god damn, if they headline with Claudio/Kingston, i will 100% tune in. granted, i don't pay for wrestling, so it doesn't have any financial component for them, but MAKE IT HAPPEN!

4) i don't know if it was this thread or a different one, but someone mentioned BJ Whitmer as not a good dude. i'm currently watching 2004 ROH and he's right up there as a  favorite on the roster. what does he do to ruin that rep? i probably don't want to know, but feel like i should anyway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Log said:

Watching the Shield/Wyatts six man from 2014. Great stuff, of course. But, goddamn I’d forgot about Cole reading tweets all the goddamn time during that period. Like, half his commentary is just reading tweets verbatim. 

I feel like Bray would have been better used as a manager who also wrestled based on this match. His in ring usually never really matched up to his promo ability, or if WWE has a trios belt

12 hours ago, AxB said:

A couple of Deathmatch guys figured out how to do the cement block spot safely. You have the victim lie on the ground, prop a cement block up against his head, and then throw a second cement block at the first one. Do it hard enough and it'll smash one or the other, without actually fracturing the skull of the person taking the impact.

This is one of those cultural differences where 'safely' means something different in the UK, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

I saw Akira take that spot (and no, he did NOT kick out of it), and asked him how his head was doing the next day. He said his head was fine but his back was hurting.

On 9/4/2023 at 11:11 PM, twiztor said:

4) i don't know if it was this thread or a different one, but someone mentioned BJ Whitmer as not a good dude. i'm currently watching 2004 ROH and he's right up there as a  favorite on the roster. what does he do to ruin that rep? i probably don't want to know, but feel like i should anyway.

He was arrested on domestic violence charges a couple months ago and was terminated from AEW as a result.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:20 AM, zendragon said:

I feel like Bray would have been better used as a manager who also wrestled based on this match. His in ring usually never really matched up to his promo ability, or if WWE has a trios belt

I thought Bray was becoming a very serviceable worker before all the bells and whistles with the Fiend gimmick and stuff. I remember before the end of Rybacks run they had a really good match on a PPV. Also the angle he had with Orton as the odd couple tag team that lead to that horrible WM match between them. Every that lead to it was some of the best things since they brought back the split in 2016. He wasn't going to be anywhere close to as good as Harper Braun or Rowan who was becoming really good as well but in my opinion I thought Bray was coming along as decent enough to not need the extra stuff in alot of his matches. Maybe he wasn't confident enough in his own work which is another reason why it was ridiculous of WWE not to have the Wyatt family members together again. Especially considering how close these guy were outside the ring. I'm sure Bray pushed hard to have these guys on his side at the hights of his push.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Also the angle he had with Orton as the odd couple tag team that lead to that horrible WM match between them. Every that lead to it was some of the best things since they brought back the split in 2016.

People will probably assume im saying this based purely on hindsight with both men having now passed, but I'd say this if they were alive and well: that Wyatt/Orton WM match really should have been a triple threat with Luke Harper/Brodie Lee. During his brief comeback in that period before leaving for AEW, I really felt like he was starting to get some of those grassroots, Danielson 'Yes'-type reactions.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

He absolutely was. But he couldn't do a southern accent so Vince cut him off at the knees. 

Luke Harper and Mike Shaw have to be up there for guys who could pass as Southerners (looks-wise) who were practically Canadians (Harper from Rochester and Mike Shaw from the Upper Peninsula)

Ronnie Garvin would be the king of "Guys who could pass as Southerners but were actually Canadians" list

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Now do it the other way southerners who could pass as canadians?

I'm sure there were some children who thought that Neidhart and Pillman were Canadians in 1997 (or Phil Furnas during the period of time when Furnas/LaFon where aligned with the Harts)

A few of the Andersons looked like they could be legit siblings. Although Ric Flair being an Anderson cousin, not so much.

Crimson being Amazing Red's little brother didn't look right, but that was the point.

• Like 2

I think it was telling that from 1997 on whenever they interacted up until Bart was working in Japan on a regular basis that the WWF just totally dropped the former Smoking Gunns were brothers. They just happen to be two dudes who happen to share the last name Gunn. It also didn't help midway Billy dropped the dark hair and moustache so instead of looking somewhat passable at best as brothers they just look like two dudes really into cowboy cosplay.