DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Wrestling has to be one of the very few things left that has truly independent journalists with a wide reach. Dave has his biases, but owning his own press makes things a lot different than having corporate oversight (both for better and worse). Otherwise you can see a lot of similarities with pro sports journalism, and I mean that as a shot at the credibility of sports journalists, not as a compliment to wrestling journalists. Pretty much every top sports reporter is a mouthpiece for team owners or favored agents at this point.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Dennis Rodman is on Collision tomorrow night because ...... sure, why not? 

I hope that he comes out and confronts Ricky Starks, not to defend Ricky Steamboat but because he thinks that Starks is the son of John Starks from the Knicks and Rodman has heat with him. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

7 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Wrestling has to be one of the very few things left that has truly independent journalists with a wide reach. Dave has his biases, but owning his own press makes things a lot different than having corporate oversight (both for better and worse). Otherwise you can see a lot of similarities with pro sports journalism, and I mean that as a shot at the credibility of sports journalists, not as a compliment to wrestling journalists. Pretty much every top sports reporter is a mouthpiece for team owners or favored agents at this point.

I would venture a guess that the reason for this is the fact that mainstream journalism has always looked down upon repoting wrestling news. It the professional wrestling business was more respected, mainstream journalism would have had it's way with wrestling journalism at this point, right? You make a very interesting and solid point that I hadn't thought about all that much prior to reading your post!

12 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Difference being Shams,  Woj and Schefter don't often report bullshit.  They get maybe one story wrong a year,  if that.  When they report something you can say with 99% certainty that it's true.  

You don't have Woj and Shams saying two completely different things.   That's the issue with wrestling 'journalists'.   I was never comparing the Skip Bayless types. They aren't serious people,  they are actors.  

A real journalist has all his ducks in a row before he starts reporting something as fact. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Difference being Shams,  Woj and Schefter don't often report bullshit.  They get maybe one story wrong a year,  if that.  When they report something you can say with 99% certainty that it's true.  

You don't have Woj and Shams saying two completely different things.   That's the issue with wrestling 'journalists'.   I was never comparing the Skip Bayless types. They aren't serious people,  they are actors.  

A real journalist has all his ducks in a row before he starts reporting something as fact. 

To add to what @Go2Sleep said, I think what hurts Dave (even back when he had the Pillmans and Terry Taylors of the world and actual Japanese sources even if all the info wasn't fully correct) is the lack of availability to the content he was actually covering as a one man operation essentially. Shams, Woj, Schefter, etc. all have access to anyone at anytime and can ask what they need to unless there has been a clear gag order placed. They also have a better ability to verify their information. If someone in a FO tells Woj something, he's not going to be labeled a career stooge like Terry Taylor. You also have folks clearly trying to feed him bullshit information, and Dave lacks the mental wherewithal to deal with that on top of the carny bullshit that comes with reporting on wrestling.

• Like 2

It’d be interesting to see which sports journalists historically gave their sources positive spin or advances their agendas, the way Dave did with Pillman, Eddie, Paul, JC and others. Did Dr. Z or Will McDomough do that? Murray Chass or Bob McKenzie? Wouldn’t surprise me. 

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To add to what @Go2Sleep said, I think what hurts Dave (even back when he had the Pillmans and Terry Taylors of the world and actual Japanese sources even if all the info wasn't fully correct) is the lack of availability to the content he was actually covering as a one man operation essentially. Shams, Woj, Schefter, etc. all have access to anyone at anytime and can ask what they need to unless there has been a clear gag order placed. They also have a better ability to verify their information. If someone in a FO tells Woj something, he's not going to be labeled a career stooge like Terry Taylor. You also have folks clearly trying to feed him bullshit information, and Dave lacks the mental wherewithal to deal with that on top of the carny bullshit that comes with reporting on wrestling.

That's all fair and is why I think it's odd when people view a story like Jungle Boy and CM Punk and have such strong opinions on something where there's clearly information missing,  maybe a lot of information... we know something happened but was it Jungle Boy being the aggressor or Punk being the aggressor, there's reports out there claiming both.. 

The only reason I think it even matters is because there's a difference between "There goes Punk being an asshole backstage and getting into another fight!"  and "CM Punk was forced into a confrontation because of dickhead Jungle Boy."  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The only reason I think it even matters is because there's a difference between "There goes Punk being an asshole backstage and getting into another fight!"  and "CM Punk was forced into a confrontation because of dickhead Jungle Boy."  

"There goes Punk being an asshole and getting into another fight because of dickhead Jungle Boy."

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

"There goes Punk being an asshole and getting into another fight because of dickhead Jungle Boy."

But if you believe some reports,  Punk suggested not to use real glass in a spot and that was all he did until Jungle Boy confronted him at ALL IN.  That's why the details which we'll probably never have are important when discussing this topic. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I regularly check out AEW's Spotify to get the best stuff on my gym playlists. Recently added Dustin Rhodes' awesome theme to one of them. But they are missing some really important ones (for me, at least)! Where the F is Jeff Jarrett's "My World"? I'd love to add Will Ospreay's theme, too and The Outrunners, but they are nowhere to be found! What gives?

I'm sure SAP and Outrunners are originals from Mikey. But Ospreay's theme is from the band It Lives, It Breathes. That came up right away when searching the song.

You know what would be cool? Some WWE-style DVD sets for AEW. Something like "Best of the first two years", "Best garbage matches", "Best title fights", you know the drill. I have hours upon hours of the original episodes on an external hard drive (I hope) but be damned if I'll ever go scrolling through them, probably. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Difference being Shams,  Woj and Schefter don't often report bullshit. 

The vast majority of what Shams, Woj and Shefter report is glorified press releases between some heavy water carrying. Meltz might actually be a better "journalist" than the three of them, and I don't mean that in a complementary way.

• Haha 1

According to Wrestlenomics, he’s their top merchandise seller. His first AEW shirt still regularly charts in their tracked Top 10 on AEWShop for weekly/monthly.

He’s not going anywhere (unless he actually wants to).