DVDVR Message Board

RIP The Funker

Not sure how much of a difference there really is, but i'd draw a distinction between Southern accents and accents for people living in Texas, especially West Texas.

But, it might be like discerning between country music by people from east of the Mississippi River and country music by people from Texas. They're different but some people will bunch them in with each other.

Without knowing which country music Terry Funk was into, he's one wrestler who was a bit like outlaw country singers. Where he sorta veered around some of the new establishment to be both connected to people on the outside and to people who remember how it used to be. Sorta like how there's a bunch of Willie fans who don't listen to much current Country.

Also Road House was released a few weeks after Funk piledrove Flair on the table at WrestleWar. Although I guess that Road House really didn't break on through until after Funk's 1989 run was through. I'm suspecting that if anybody in WCW mentioned Road House on-screen, it was Jim Ross but that the company didn't exactly want to mention that their new lead heel was in a major movie.

• Like 1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fl3-J6HFxvY

I'm pretty sure I first heard this on here but it ALWAYS slays me: Terry speaking rather than singing, the image of Terry cruising the streets and of course Funk speak-singing "They call us juvenile delinquents" because when I think of no-good teen punks, I think of Terry Funk!

I had this on my iPod for years and it never fails to make me smile though I have to concede I almost never make it all the way through!

On 8/27/2023 at 1:27 PM, BloodyChamp said:

The empty arena match needs no analysis from me because everybody knows how great it is but I’ll add some anyway. When Lawler kick stabs him he goes down and grabs his eye/face and doesn’t actually feel the pain or react other than grabbing it until many seconds later after he’s figured out what happened. That’s good acting right there according to real human nature. What he does next isn’t just human nature, but it’s the human nature of a mean outlaw. I don’t know if Funk even studied that far ahead or if he was just a real live outlaw when he was in that ring but he nailed it. He scream cried so hard that he lost his southern accent, called out for his injured body part, called out for a doctor, then when none of that worked he did what they all did as the last try, he called out to God. So dang great. Then when nothing happened he somewhat got it back together mentally and was able to beg the 1 person there to get a doctor, who he no longer hated and called by name. That couldn’t have been written any better let alone just up and done in the ring. 

My favourite thing in the empty arena match is honestly when Lawler comes out and Funk starts giving his shit for dressing up for the full entrance with nobody there. His ability to be funny while also being a maniacal asshole was just something else.

• Like 9

17.jpg

All these years later, the most surreal and disturbing wrestling match I've seen. You'd think I wouldn't like it having said that, yet I do. Same with Foley and Funk's deathmatches. Think it's because of Foley, Funk and Sabu involvements.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

On 8/30/2023 at 10:55 PM, Death From Above said:

My favourite thing in the empty arena match is honestly when Lawler comes out and Funk starts giving his shit for dressing up for the full entrance with nobody there. His ability to be funny while also being a maniacal asshole was just something else.

That match just had everything that a fight has. Clubbering, brawling, violence, hatred, fear…and dead pan comedy. Funk was a master at it and Lawler was also great at it. The way he shows up with his crown, robe, and wrestling suit because that’s…how he’s supposed to be. He wasn’t laughing but it was definitely funny. And what’s Terry Funk to do about that? Do something even funnier lol!

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of 1 person

On the set of Briscoe Co. Jr

I loved this show but haven’t rewatched it as an adult. I also loved that Ned Blessing Miniseries which has been on my mind to rewatch for a long time hard. I only recently found out the name of it after I’d only remembered things about it.

• Like 1

So, I run an online film festival (Octopus Marquee Independent Film Festival) and one of the filmmakers (Tim Disbrow) that was a part of the previous season did a wrestling documentary in the past, Card Subject to Change. Terry Funk was a part of that and I hear really friendly and supportive of it. Tim was kind enough to post an interview from that doc:

• Like 9

On 9/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, nofuture said:

I really hope that they have put Paul in front of a camera and just throw topics to him to let him talk. it would be amazing for future generations to hear. I felt the way about Dusty.

• Like 1