DVDVR Message Board

All In II - 8/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Matt you should definitely watch the end of the six man, it's flatter than day old soda and kind of stunning. And don't feel bad about multitasking, I was both reading the autobio of Wayne Kramer from the MC5 and watching Horror Express on PBS while the show was on, haha. 

I don't remember the Lawler thing even though I read his book. The Goldberg example is more contemporary, I guess. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Didn't like the ROH Tag Title match in hindsight. It was well worked, but I thought there was going to be a story purpose for it. But ended up mostly being pandering and played no role in the story.

They did manage to tie the story of the tag match to the main event with Cole being all "this isn't the championship I really want to hold," but I am not cool with taking the ROH tage belts off of Aussie Open just so that they can be used as props in MJF vs. Cole.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

They did manage to tie the story of the tag match to the main event with Cole being all "this isn't the championship I really want to hold," but I am not cool with taking the ROH tage belts off of Aussie Open just so that they can be used as props in MJF vs. Cole.

I’m looking forward to MJF/Cole vs the Kingdom though. They should run that at All Out. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I’m looking forward to MJF/Cole vs the Kingdom though. They should run that at All Out. 

Quick way to hotshot the titles between Heel teams and perhaps free Ospreay/Aussie for trios title contention.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

In 2023, with the business as it is now, there's no reason for using real glass, be it stupid death matches or punching a car or jumping thru a barber shop window because you're a coward

FTFY Bobby The Brain styleez.

That was SO many title changes for an AEW show. Not really big on HoB dropping theirs, specifically. I'm okay with Aussie Open losing if it means they move onto the AEW tag belts. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This show was an interesting case study of what old spots people don’t really remember well/care about. The Ole Kick response was pretty tepid, crowd did not buy the Pepsi Plunge as the finish, nobody seemed to remember any of the signature Golden Lover stuff, the Jay/Ibushi showdown spots clearly didn’t get the reaction they expected, Penta Oscuro to crickets, etc.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

In 2023, with the business as it is now, there's no reason for using real glass, be it stupid death matches or punching a car or being thrown thru a barber shop window. 

Especially after Tony Schiavone (allegedly) asks you not to.

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

This show was an interesting case study of what old spots people don’t really remember well/care about. The Ole Kick response was pretty tepid, crowd did not buy the Pepsi Plunge as the finish, nobody seemed to remember any of the signature Golden Lover stuff, the Jay/Ibushi showdown spots clearly didn’t get the reaction they expected, Penta Oscuro to crickets, etc.

The spinning toe hold getting nothing, especially this week, was a bit of a bummer.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Damn, you're right about all of that. This being a stadium crowd kind of changed reactions to a lot of stuff though I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

In 2023, with the business as it is now, there's no reason for using real glass, be it stupid death matches or punching a car or being thrown thru a barber shop window.

Having seen the bloody glory of Yuko Miyamoto vs. Abdullah Kobayashi (30 Sep 2009) at Dean's crib back in the day, I respectfully disagree.

That being said, Miyamoto and Kobayashi are two maniacs who probably have untreated Hep C right now.

I am also known to have horrible opinions.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

There were probably better Funk spots to steal, like the ladder spin, which is especially sad because the ladder was right there. Maybe a balcony moonsault, too? 

I want to take this opportunity to gloat over the fact that THEY HAD THE TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH, NAH-NAH-NAH-NAH NAHHHH, NAHHHHH. They weren't about to change that shit up. 

EDIT: Hmmm... I wonder if the bottle in the Stampede was real glass or sugar glass (which I've heard is equally dangerous btw)?

Edited by Curt McGirt

20 minutes ago, EVA said:

This was, by far, the most casual crowd AEW has ever had.

Generally speaking they booked it in that direction. Big matches with ex-WWE talent, Saraya and Billy Gunn winning belts, Jericho being maximum Jericho and Punk/Joe being over where the ROH stuff wasn't, Bucks/FTR succeeding more with pure action than callbacks. Nobody Japanese was over. Nobody'd ever seen a Terry Funk match. Ospreay lived on the good will of being British and doin' fancy shit, but the majority of the crowd didn't know his moves. Most importantly MJF and Adam Cole had a "tHiS iS cInEmA" Performance Center 30 Minute Dramafest tailor-made for Bloodline junkies. This one was very much for the kids.

A big Ospreay or Omega singles match frankly wasn't needed for the company or for most of the crowd. Save that stuff for Chicago with nothing but diehards.

• Like 5

Really outstanding show, everything that worked really delivered in its own way too.

Really loved Punk faking out Joe for the first "Joe just walks out of the way out of a dive" spot only to get caught a second time with Joe giving a perfect Hashtag DismissiveWankingMotion for Punk's troubles. Joe is the last person I would want throwing a Hogan point at me too. I agree with above that the crowd not knowing about the pepsi plunge took a little air out but it was cool for people who did recognize it. My favorite Punk match post Gripe-Bomb. Samoa Joe - awesome at pro wrestling.

Again, sucked the crowd didn't react how they should have on the Golden Triangle. Ibushi lost a step on it too but Kenny's was gorgeous as always. Would have liked a little more Kenny and Switchblade given their past but that finish ruled YOU GET A V-TRIGGER, YOU GET A V-TRIGGER, GOTCHA! Hyped that we're finally getting Kenny/Takeshita next week. Kenny Omega - Awesome at wrestling.

Bucks/FTR was cool, suffered a little of Young Bucks "kick out of everything" though. Glad Revival retained especially after the Bucks promo last week. Definitely preferred but the FTR/Briscoes trilogy to FTR/Bucks but all 4 guys seem like they put a little something extra in that match. Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler - Awesome at wrestling.

Stadium Stampede was... odd. Penta leaving mid match to change gimmicks was a really charming thing to happen. Good on Santana for his first match after that much time being... Wembley Stadium. King flipping of Mox while they were both gushing like that post match was one of my favorite moments of the night. Orange Cassidy - Awesome at wrestling.

Was a little weird with Saraya winning but I think it's more than "Hey we're in London." Plus she's got a lot of intriguing opponents. Shida didn't drop the fall, Toni's got a gripe for getting cheated there. I'm on board with this. Toni Storma Desmond - Awesome at wrestling.

Coffin Match kind of was what it was for me. I like that Swerve breaks out the Jimmy Rave robe for big matches. The little video with Darby and Joker Sting was a fun touch too. 

Was a little let down by Jericho and Ospreay. I wonder if Jericho got blown up toward the end since he looked like he missed a few things. Really liked the story too of Osprey going a little more high risk and to the air more after Jericho brought up being the one telling him to scale it back. Did like the finish too.

I've said before, I'm okay with Billy Gunn getting one last title run just wish it wasn't at the expense of House of Black. I hope this isn't a usual AEW thing where a champion loses and gets lost for a while. Buddy coming out with the Lantern too really got me. Speaking of kick outs, kind of hate we had THAT as the first Black Mass kickout in AEW. Could have done without Julia taking Scissor Me Timbers too. Maybe set up Malakai and Brody and FTR's next challengers?

Can't say enough about the main. Winning the RoH belts earlier putting a little wrinkle in how would a split up go. MJF cheating early then Cole upping the level of offense after. Max not being as vicious as Cole was. Wondering if Max was gonna drop the charade and just drop Cole with the ring. Cole being torn between his friend (Arguably, the worst person in the company) and the Belt. Max's little shouting bout post match and the two of them holding on for at least one more day after. SOAP OPERAS - Awesome at Wrestling.

Wonderful wonderful wonderful afternoon of the pro graps

• Like 6

I thought everything delivered. No stinkers in the bunch. 

The Stampede was probably the favorite around here. The finish was great. Loved Orange going all Taipei Deathmatch. Just a great sequence with Eddie cleaning house with the backfists and getting Mox out of the way for the punch. 

Some really cool gear on the show, too. HoB’s white gear was striking. Loved the Bucks’ Mercury entrance gear. Favorite was probably Osprey’s Bulldog-inspired look or Punk’s Chicago flag whites. 

• Like 1

I thought the show was pretty good. Visually it looked good with the crowd. AEW felt big time and I hope its a good sign for them.

FTR vs The Young Bucks was my match of the night. Stadium Stampede was pretty good as well.

I'm surprised there was no turn on the main event. I guess they must be making a ton of money on the merchandise to keep them together.

• Like 3

For people calling or wondering if All In was the WM of AEW. in terms of actual matches and wrestling I am not sure if it is AEW version of Summerslam.  It definitely was ib terms of size and spectacle.  I guess we will see if this repeats itself.

As far as the Jack Perry stuff. I still dont understand when he needed to go through any form of glass much less real one except today.  Him running away in the car and Hook not getting much from him made perfect sense