DVDVR Message Board

THE STRIKE

JLSigman

Not only is SDCC being affected, people are wondering if actors can/will do other conventions moving forward, where they are booked to do signings and appearances. Does signing merch from a current project violate the spirit of the strike? 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder which wrestlers currently working full time (so not Rock and Cena) are SAG/AFTRA members. 

I'm guessing:  All of The Shield, Becky, Edge, Paul E., Rey, Ronda, Charlotte, Xavier, and The Miz (who I'll bet, being from a working class Cleveland suburb has more thoughts on this than you'd think).  Oh, and Carlito, assuming he's actually "on the roster."

Maybe Hunter too?   

EDIT -- Oh, duh.   Mercedes Mone/Sasha Banks is absolutely SAG.  She couldn't be on The Mandalorian if she wasn't. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder which wrestlers currently working full time (so not Rock and Cena) are SAG/AFTRA members. 

Nikkita Lyons of WWE

Rocky Romero and Jorel Nelson of NJPW

Colt Cabana and John Hennigan of AEW

Aron Stevens and Mercurio (Bryan Idol) of NWA

Rob Van Dam and Katie Forbes

Former GLOW star Hollywood

Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Edited by Dolphman 3000

That reminded me of Katie Forbes' existence. What is she doing now? I hate to say it but this makes me think "acting" (you know what I mean). 

The Matt Damon thing was on the news last night and they didn't make him look bad at all, even in clip form. If they're being fair then Deadline really sucks. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

EDIT -- Oh, duh.   Mercedes Mone/Sasha Banks is absolutely SAG.  She couldn't be on The Mandalorian if she wasn't. 

That's not how SAG works - you work a certain number of SAG productions on a probationary period before you get full membership

You still get SAG protections and credit towards an eventual SAG membership, but you're not full union off the bat. Paul London is still only "SAG Eligible" and he's been in a few things.

The irony is if they start with AI, they'll eventually start losing people to do movies with, if the strike continues -- they won't have enough people to clone! All they'll have is willing scabs that are willing to work for a pittance. But actors losing their homes, the "bleeding out" process, if that starts happening, I see funds from actors with deep deep pockets helping out, or they negotiate. It could go either way, and this is just me spitballing, but hey. 

I think the AI proposal is only referring to extras - actors with lines would be protected by the precedent Crispin Glover set after he sued and won when Back to the Future: Part II dressed someone else up in prosthetics to look like him after he declined to reprise his role from the first film

Extras generally get shit pay ($120-ish per day, which can last 12+ hours) but a lot of people make a living off it, especially in Los Angeles where there's constant work

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Who needs new actors?  Star Wars already broke the "dead actor CGIed into a movie role" seal.  With AI, they can use whichever dead actor they want.

I think Sky Captain may have been the first modern movie to do it, using footage of Laurence Olivier. 

As an aside, there's a swell from content creators to make sure they don't even inadvertently cross the picket lines and are urging each other to turn down studios aproaching them to scab.  

A couple creators I follow have even gone so far as to stop using any studio created properties, even tangently, to avoid crossing.

It really is gonna be "we have no money, and we can't make any money" (actors) vs. "we have a lot of money, but we can't make any more money" (studios). We may have bread, but what happens when there are no circuses? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think Sky Captain may have been the first modern movie to do it, using footage of Laurence Olivier. 

Was that before or after Fred Astaire danced with that vacuum

I believe the first modern use of using a dead celeb in something new was Humphrey Bogart in an episode of Tales from the Crypt. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVc6K4EvW0

I've been listening to a lot of AI songs lately (which is a whole different can of worms with dead artists) and it's scary how good the technology is right now. All you need is processing power and a prompt.

The Bogart one was the first thing I remember. Bogart was also briefly shown in Last Action Hero (one of the scenes at Slater's police station) but I think the Tales from the Crypt was first.

Edited by BrianS81177