DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/12 - 7/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

We are a week away from Blood & Guts!   We (should) find out who the 5th man is for both teams!   (I'll bet it's Shark Boy!)

Also...

Hooray! Painmaker Chris Jericho is back!

• Like 2

This week is all about FTR vs. Jay White/Juice Robinson Two out of Three Falls on Collision. FTR are masters at the stipulation and last week's match was a MOTYC.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

things I remember from this episode of AEW Dynamite

With there being no baseball or really any other spots tonight, it's Dynamite time

Some fun spots in the Jericho/Komander

Sammy/Garcia vs Allin/Cassidy was pretty good

Feeling MLW non-ring segment vibes from the Cole/MJF segment

MJF/Cole vs Large William/Brian Cage had a fun amount of just total bullshit. Alternating pushups. Bill/Cage are the greatest version of the Powers of Pain ever. If Brian Cage was wearing goggles, he wouldn't get his eyes poked so often.

Soho vs Skye was a bit sloppy

I guess Nick Wayne is going off to ROH or something to marinate because usually people whose vignettes talk about their dead father don't lose their first match. I guess you could use the same arguments to justify Cody losing at WM and Nick Wayne losing tonight, but some people might not quite want to deal with that.

And we end with a main event segment

• Like 3

One Nick Wayne thing is that if they're billing someone as an 18 year old wrestling prodigy, they're almost asking for people to nitpick the fuck out of his work. Sorta like with hyped baseball prospects who might have a slow start in the big time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure why Blood and Guts is on Dynamite and not a PPV (it's got to take up the entire second hour, right?), but the lineups for both teams has my interest. 

The match itself was fine and I'm sure he and Swerve know eachother well but I don't get why Nick Wayne lost his debut match after all the hype he got. Maybe they are doing some kind of "you've got talent but you're not there yet, kid" story or whatever but it seemed pretty anticlimactic. I don't see any shows on their schedule in the PNW anywhere for him to get that big hometown pop.

Adam Cole will actually get over as a sympathetic babyface when MJF eventually turns on him. Though that got me to thinking...what if they're going to pull a swerve and have Cole to be the one to turn?

• Like 1

I'm not high on Skye, but she did a really nice job selling her knee tonight. I just wish she would tighten up her offense a bit.

I thought Wayne looked good. He has real 'Mikey Whipwreck trainee's energy in a mostly good way. Curious to see him wrestling someone he isn't as familiar with.

I was rooting for anyone but Jericho in B&G so I'm very pleasantly surprised by Pac.

• Like 2

Loved how into Nick Wayne the crowd got. No problem with him losing, Swerve is more important now.  But Nick was given a lot and made to look like he belongs.

MJF is on another level with this angle, he's going to make me a Cole fan or die trying. Loved everything about the match. I hope they pivot on the eventual back stabbing and keep them as loose allies, with Cole being the one guy who likes MJF. Also, keep Bill and Cage together, holy fuck they're great.

Another person who's on a great roll is Ruby Soho. She was absolutely an asshole to Skye and her leg tonight.

Pac is a bit underwhelming, but more than made up for with Ibushi.

e: re: Pac, he does fit the vibe of the BCC a lot better than Death Triangle

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'm not sure why Blood and Guts is on Dynamite and not a PPV (it's got to take up the entire second hour, right?), but the lineups for both teams has my interest.

That just seems to be their thing, none of the Blood and Guts have been on PPV

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

The match itself was fine and I'm sure he and Swerve know eachother well but I don't get why Nick Wayne lost his debut match after all the hype he got. Maybe they are doing some kind of "you've got talent but you're not there yet, kid" story or whatever but it seemed pretty anticlimactic. I don't see any shows on their schedule in the PNW anywhere for him to get that big hometown pop.

Adam Cole will actually get over as a sympathetic babyface when MJF eventually turns on him. Though that got me to thinking...what if they're going to pull a swerve and have Cole to be the one to turn?

Nick's being put in a better spot than Action Andretti.  Losing to Swerve, esp in that way, is not a black mark.  He's mostly being used to further Darby/Swerve.

MJF getting the crowd to pop for basic wrestling stuff was awesome.  I still think Jay > MJF for best heel in wrestling, but it's a lot closer than I thought it was a year ago, and MJF has the chops to get to Jay's in-ring level.  Two very different types of heel.

Is it just me or does Hook throw really good body punches?  They look a lot more vicious than they should for a guy as small as Hook.   Definitely helps with his aura and makes him come off vicious.  Hook's got a good foundation, just needs to build on it.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 2

What's the scorecard for Swerve things in AEW that have actually gone anywhere or reached some sort of coherent conclusion?

Swerve turned heel on Keith Lee and I don't know if that really resolved itself yet and it was on ice for months. Swerve formed Mogul Affiliates which merged into the Embassy and then both Mogul Affiliates are gone. Swerve's pretty talented but for whatever reason being sucked into the Swerve-verse doesn't seem to be a great thing for other people's careers? (not saying that Swerve is to blame for any Keith Lee, Harland, Trench difficulties)

It would be similar to other sports to have some new rookie struggle at first. But I don't know if wrestling fans are ready for the experience that baseball fans have with their prospects or NBA fans have with their latest 1st round pick.

There is a certain amount of Shiny Toy Syndrome with AEW and their additions.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

This is actually what I'm thinking. Especially if White/Juice win the belts.

• Like 1

On the one hand, I want you guys to enjoy next week’s Blood and Guts even though it’s not something I’m super into because I care about you all dearly. 

On the other hand, I will get sadistic joy if the finish is Chris Jericho joining with Don Callis and launching a months’ long feud with the Elite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

One Nick Wayne thing is that if they're billing someone as an 18 year old wrestling prodigy, they're almost asking for people to nitpick the fuck out of his work. Sorta like with hyped baseball prospects who might have a slow start in the big time.

I didn't see Elly De la Cruz when I was watching him...