DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

Much will be written about Omega/Ospreay, especially everything that came afterward, but it must be said: Kenny getting his foot on the rope is the Nearfall of the Year, and I don’t think it’ll be close.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It's amazing how 2 spectacular matches were just nuked by someone deciding to do something that SOMEONE should've told them no to.  I know Kenny is going to get a pass because of Kenny, but man, Danielson needed to be told no.  They had to fight that last 5 minutes and they never got it back.

I felt Dragon and Okada would work a match like they did, but didn’t think that would be the ending. Bryan’s fake injury spot should not have been in the match. Hated it. Crowd seemed tired for the main but tried to stay with it. 

Way too long of a show.  But, still good. 

• Like 3

Great match between Bryan Danielson and Kazuchika Okada. HATED the convulsions teaser knowing Bryan Danielson's history record. Don't do that to the fans. Never expected Bryan Danielson to submit Kazuchika Okada, think the last time he tapped out was 8 years ago in the G1 Climax 2015 to Shinsuke Nakamura. That's huge. Looks like Bryan Danielson has injured his right shoulder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, elizium said:

Great show, but I say this with my whole chest:

Fuck Bryan Danielson completely for that fake seizure bullshit

I fucking hated that and you all know how much I love Bryan Danielson. HATED.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Legit shocked by Okada tapping.  Maybe they run it back at Wrestle Kingdom but for now the key players in AEW are quite obviously Punk, Omega, Bryan and Moxley. 

I like MJF but I think he needs to drop the title to one of those 4 guys pretty soon.  He'll have plenty of time to grow into the role.  

• Like 3

i hate watching great wrestling for 5 hours so i can jump into a bunch of reactionary online discourse because a great wrestler did a fucking stupid spot (that he does way too often) and made one match out of a dozen+ fail the hype

lots good to write about. 14 year old me marked into dust over Punk vs. Kojima of all things. MOTN was OC/ZSJ/Shibata/Garcia and I won't hear otherwise.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

Wait. Aside from the Don stuff. What did Kenny do? Did I miss something?

The last 5 minutes, kicking out of 2 of Ospreay's finishers, Ibushi's finisher, Kenny's own finisher, a vicious Tiger Driver 91, and needing like 4 Stormbreakers was pretty egregious. 

• Like 1

First half was a big fan of the Okada v Danielson but that seizure spot was stupid. Won back a tired crowd with a Yes chant but then the submission (although built to early with the arm and shoulder work) didn’t really get a reaction. I like the tap spot in that I’m still shocked by it. But it didn’t land.

Will type more when I get home.

• Like 2

All that said,  fucking wow at Omega vs. Ospreay II.   If they decide to complete the trilogy at ALL IN I am all for it..  That was an incredible match with an incredible atmosphere. 

I disagree that it was overbooked.  It's a legit blood feud.  How many of those do we have in wrestling?   They went to war and back. The Omega nearfalls are two of the best I've seen in recent memory. 

First one with the foot on the rope was a holy fuck.  The second one with the Hulk Up was fucking insanity... I got out of my chair at that.... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That convulsions spot really pissed me off. I love Bryan Danielson but I've criticised him before and I have to here.

On a night when we find out Adam Cole, whether you like him or not, might be shelved because of another concussion...how do you do that spot?

• Like 1

The preshow matches were all totally decent though nothing I found overly memorable. Liona and Kaun are great in ROH but the main roster could use them Hossing people.

It's been a while since I've seen Tanahashi wrestle regularly but he looked like he was moving at half speed. MJF is far from a fast paced wrestler, but even with him doing his methodical heeling style, Tanahashi still looked rough here. I think they both did the best they could and MJF dropped a visual fall and cheated to win, so it wasn't like Tana looked bad in defeat. Putting this on first worked for a number of reasons - it wasn't main event level based on limitations, it played off those asinine rumors of certain people needing to be kept apart on the card, and MJF's promo about going on first was totally in-character for him.

Despite the age and mileage on Punk and Kojima they put on a good match. Dug Punk reading the room and leaning into his more heel manerisms.

I was distracted for a bit of the four way but what I saw was solid.

Jungle Jack has been cold for a while in my eye. He isn't terrible but I thought he's kind of plateued, especially in his continued lack of mic skills. I don't know if Sanada was doing a lot of the heavy lifting here or what, but he looked a lot better here than he has in a while. A Hook/JB feud isn't the worst idea though I have questions about Jack being able to be a heel. Christian was right all along.

The 10 man tag was basically one of those big tag matches they'd have on the last night of BOLA featuring all the guys who had been eliminated in the earlier rounds. There was a lot of stuff going on and it was an entertaining specatcle overall.

Aside from the somewhat flat ending, Willow/Toni went very well. I'm a bit over The Outcasts matches all ending the same.

Osprey/Omega was good save for Omega's trademark finisher kickout overkill. I thought Omega was dead after that Ganso Bomb. What was the point of Callis being kicked out if he just came back and the ref didn't care? I wonder if they added more time to this after Lawlor/Cole was cancelled.

What I caught of the six man tag seemed to feature more stooging than actual wrestling. It was a cooler match before the main and that was pretty much the purpose though.

Work distracted me from really focusing on the main event but everything I paid attention to was excellent. Danielson getting Final Countdown back as his music cemented this as my favorite match of the night before it even got going. Considering his relaxed schedule there is of course concern about how banged up Danielson is and knowing he doesn't really hold back I was worried he'd do some reckless and risk serious injury. Fake legit injury spots are one of my pet peeves in wrestling anyways and this was especially egregious. I do think they should have switched the placement of this and Osprey/Omega though.

• Like 2

I thought it was a great show. I'm shocked that Okada tapped out. Yeah, Bryan should not have done the convulsions but what can you do. He knows how to screw with people's emotions. 

Kenny vs. Osprey was an amazing match. I can only imagine what they'll do if they have a trilogy match especially at All In.

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I fucking hated that and you all know how much I love Bryan Danielson. HATED.

Haven’t gotten started on the show yet, but I’m sorry something yucked your yum on a match I know you were so looking forward to. That sucks. I was hoping they’d come out with at least your unambiguous MOTY pick.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

He was Kenny Omega, which has long been an unforgivable offense to Raz.

This is true, but I did really dug the match... til the kickout of the 91.

Those two will have to shiv each other in a 3rd match.

• Haha 4

I've only seen three handpicked matches so far, but I'm saying this with every ounce of my being:

• Ospreay/Omega 2 is one of the best matches I've ever seen, I think. The first one was the same way, but this one was just... violent. I loved it. Tiger Driver '91 surprised the fuck out of me. Ospreay is a goddamn star. No disrespect to New Japan, but I think an opportunity is being missed if he doesn't sign with a major American company in the next few years. I hated him before he transitioned to being a heavyweight, but he's put it all together. If an American company signed him and put all the pieces together, I legit think he could be a mega star (well, within the wrestling bubble anyway).

• Starkz/Athena was good for what it was, but I think they have more in 'em. If Athena/Keira is anything to go by, give them some time on ROH and watch them create some magic. SIGN BILLIE STARKZ. She's the future, 100%.

• Punk/Kojima was just two old gnarly dudes beating the fuck out of each other and it was great. Atmosphere was incredible too. Punk has been killin' it since he came back, but the 8 man tag last night and this Kojima match... man's on fire right now.

Also, TELL ME HOW I CAN WATCH ALL IN, TONY! Fucking hell.

• Like 4

Just now, Iron Moose said:

oh, and someone really should have told Ospreay that doing a Crossface in Canada within a day of the anniversary of unspeakable things was not a thing to do.

I think I caught that, the Sharpshooter, and Lance Storm's half-crab in the Canadian spam sequence - did I miss anything?