DVDVR Message Board

2023 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

His publicist announced today that Bob Barker, longtime host of "The Price is Right," has died at 99. He lived close to 100 as possible without going over.

Blooper! Bob Barker Helps Holly Hallstrom When She Trips During SUPER BALL - The Price Is Right 1982 - YouTube

Blooper! A Cliff Hangers Malfunction Ends in a Surprising Win - The Price Is Right 1983 - YouTube

• Haha 2
  • Sad 7

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy are back together again. RIP to the GOAT. 

I watched so much Price is Right as a kid, teen, and college student. For half the time I was in college I’d always have a gap in classes right when Price is Right was on. I’m trying to think if there’s any tv personality I’ve watched more than Bob. Dude was always awesome and lived one long, hell of a life. One of those deaths where I don’t want to shed tears and instead want to raise a glass and say, “hell yeah, dude, what a life.”

• Like 1

I just heard. The same week as The Funker. IIRC we lost John Madden and Betty White in the same week, and mentioned that Bob Barker was the last TV hero. Now here he goes right behind Terry. 

Also Rod Roddy was great too. Such a fun guy and a perfect game show voice. 

• Like 1

I totally thought he was long dead. It legit surprised me to hear this earlier. 

Bob always seemed like he was in his sixties, even when I was a kid. Shit, how long ago was Billy Madison or whatever the Adam Sandler movie was that he was in? '95? How old was he then? 

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Bob always seemed like he was in his sixties, even when I was a kid. Shit, how long ago was Billy Madison or whatever the Adam Sandler movie was that he was in? '95? How old was he then? 

It sounds like you haven’t seen the sequel Bob and Adam did to that hilarious scene. It’s on 1 of the Comedy Central Roasts and probably on YouTube. It’s hilarious and so it the spoof that he did on, I kid you not, a completely out of nowhere appearance on The Bold and The Beautiful.

34 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That time he was guest host of Monday Night Raw, he started trending because of that, and loads of people saw he was trending and posted RIP. And that was, what, 14 years ago.

11 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Arleen Sorkin, whose mannerisms and personality were the basis for Harley Quinn (and her original voice actor) has died at 67.

Gutted. When I think of Harley Quinn, it's always Arleen Sorkin's first and foremost. Condolences to her family and friends at this sad time xxx.

• Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...

David McCallum from "The Man from UNCLE" and "NCIS" has died at 90. Just turned 90 a week ago ...

David McCallum Dead: Star of 'NCIS,' 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' Was 90 (variety.com)

Also had big roles in "The Great Escape" and "The Greatest Story Ever Told." Don't watch NCIS (but my parents do), but he appeared on the show for 20 seasons, though in recent years he was down to 3-4 shows a season given his age.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah he was a major character on NCIS - at least through the first like 10 seasons I watched

He was the chief medical examiner, Ducky for the first 15 or seasons. His protege eventually took over, and he became more of a semi-regular after that. I know him mostly from NCIS so its sad to see him pass though I figured it was coming with his age.

• Like 1