DVDVR Message Board

2023 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I follow him on FaceBook and saw some people posting about this early in the day, but I was hoping it was just one of those horrible rumors.

I've been close to watching Gates of Hell A.K.A. City of the Living Dead for a week or so, guess I'll have to do that this weekend in rememberance.

• Like 2

My copy of Gates is sitting right next to me on the shelf. I'm definitely gonna have to watch that and Cannibal Apocalypse if I can find it online... actually, it might be on my external hard drive. Unfortunately my copy vanished after being borrowed years ago. You'd have to pay me to watch Cannibal Ferox again though (he felt the same way). 

EDIT: Hey, Prime has it. Youtube has it too for a price. Amazon.com: Cannibal Apocalypse : Tony King, John Morghen, Ramiro Oliveros, John Saxon, Elisabeth Turner, Antonio Margheriti: Prime Video

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Chris Severed who runs the Severed Cinema blog has a respectful tribute to Radice.  I was saddened to hear about his passing as well as Harry Belafante's and Jerry Springer's.  The icons of my twisted yet wonderful childhood are slowly fading away.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Per the earlier post, got to explain to young folks in the office what traveller's cheques were.

I only had to ever use them one time. It was when I got discharged from the service in '87. My pay was given to me in traveller's cheques and then I had to go to the post credit union and endorse every single one of those fucking things to get cash. If my old man memory serves me right it was $1000 worth in $20 cheques. The people standing behind me while I did this were probably ready to give me a blanket party for wasting their time.

• Haha 1

Barbara Bryne, the British actress who portrayed mothers in the original Broadway productions of Stephen Sondheim’s Sunday in the Park With George and Into the Woods, has died. She was 94.

Bryne’s death Tuesday was announced by the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis. The first of her more than 60 plays there was Arsenic and Old Lace in 1970, and she performed in 20-plus productions from 1998-2013, including a memorable turn in 1999 as Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Earnest.

The delightful Bryne was nominated for a Drama Desk Award in 1982 for her off-off-Broadway performance as Kath in a revival of the Joe Orton-written Entertaining Mr. Sloane. Three years later, she starred with Rosemary Harris in a Broadway revival of Noël Coward’s family comedy Hay Fever.

She played George’s mom alongside Mandy Patinkin in Sunday in the Park With George in 1984-85 — they sang the wistful “Beautiful” together — and was Jack’s mom opposite Ben Wright and Bernadette Peters in Into the Woods, which premiered in 1987.

And at the Kennedy Center in 2002, she was another Sondheim matriarch, Madame Armfeldt, in A Little Night Music.

Born in London on April 1, 1929, Bryne trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and, starting in 1966, took on more than 30 roles at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario, Canada.

For television, Bryne portrayed the nosy neighbor Mrs. Gaffey on the 1981-83 NBC sitcom Love, Sidney, starring Tony Randall, and provided the voice of the gnome Urgl on the 1995-96 HBO animated series The Neverending Story.

Her film résumé included roles in Milos Forman‘s Amadeus — as Mozart’s mother-in-law — and James Ivory’s The Bostonians, both released in 1984.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/barbara-bryne-dead-sondheim-broadway-1235479439/

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Ray Stevenson has died. He was 58.

Bloody hell. Liked Ray Stevenson as the Punisher in Punisher: War Zone. Didn't realize till his passing that he played Volstagg in the MCU. RIP.

• Like 1

Experimental filmmaker, writer, and queer icon Kenneth Anger has passed away at 96. He actually passed away on May 11th, but his estate just announced it today  

Best known for FireworksRabbit’s Moon, and Scorpio Rising. Also authored Hollywood Babylon, an indispensable tome of old Hollywood gossip.

I was just thinking of Anger last night during the screening of Mod Fuck Explosion, as much of it seemed directly influenced by his work, especially a hot rod scene reminiscent of Scorpio.

My introduction to Anger came as a kid when watching the trashy Hollywood Babylon series hosted by Tony Curtis. Later I was lucky enough to take an experimental film course in college that screened many of his films.

The world is much less interesting today 

Edited by elizium
  • Sad 6

Ed Ames has passed away at 95. You might remember him as Mingo on "Daniel Boone..." which led to this all time Tonight Show moment. RIP.

• Like 1