DVDVR Message Board

2023 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

On 3/17/2023 at 3:20 PM, RIPPA said:

I am so upset right now

I watched nothing but episodes of The Wire on DVD and old school Destiny cutscenes on YouTube for the past few days.   I am so unbelievably bummed out.

RIP.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

In 1987, Paul O'Grady was on stage as Lily Savage in the Royal Vauxhall Tavern in London. A bunch of officers from the Metropolitan Police burst in to raid it, all of whom were wearing rubber gloves, to protect themselves from AIDS. Immediately upon seeing this, Lily quipped "Looks like we have help with the washing up".

Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogKl1pwwQU

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 3:44 PM, supremebve said:

I was already thinking it was about time for another Wire rewatch, but this news made it a requirement. Lance Reddick's Lt. Daniels is one of the few people on the show who is willing to risk anything in the name of his own moral compass. He isn't perfect,  but the way Reddick plays him,  you can't help but respect him. 

He's so perfect in that role that it blew my mind when I heard he'd auditioned for the part of Bubbles.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:51 AM, AxB said:

In 1987, Paul O'Grady was on stage as Lily Savage in the Royal Vauxhall Tavern in London. A bunch of officers from the Metropolitan Police burst in to raid it, all of whom were wearing rubber gloves, to protect themselves from AIDS. Immediately upon seeing this, Lily quipped "Looks like we have help with the washing up".

Also, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogKl1pwwQU

I'd never heard that one before till Paul O'Grady's sad passing. Made me chuckle. So quick witted.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

TMZ is reporting that Jerry Springer has died at age 79.

Woah. I used to watch Jerry Springer and Sally Jessie Raphael when I was 12. I was part of a IHS university group presentation about chat shows taking confession from religion and airing them to a wider audience where as religion it's between the person confessing/the figurehead/God.

I was in college for the height of Springer's popularity. I had a communications professor who'd worked for him when he was mayor of Cincinnati. I remember someone asked him if he was a good mayor. He said something to the effect of, "Oh, yeah, he was a great mayor. But then he wrote a check to a hooker and that was all over."

• Like 3