DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

But to be serious, I always thought Immortals was a great first attempt game that laid the foundation for what could be a very awesome sequel. So that does indeed suck that they're just shelving that project now.

• Like 1

Sea of Stars demo is pretty good.  Combat is no joke.  Like Octopath Traveler no joke.  "Turn based" does not do it justice.  There are minigame-esque nuances inside of combat that allow you to maximize damage and there are other factors that further complicate what used to be simple.  We have grown up, so RPGs have grown up with us in order offer a better challenge.

I am not fond of SoS deciding to use a break enemy combat system similar to Octopath Traveler (SoS refers to this as the "lock" system), but at least Sea of Stars allows you to choose which member of your party gets to go first so that you are not stuck in the OT dilemma of the most effective combat breaker in your group also being the slowest character. 

Few things in OT were more frustrating than having an enemy hit your breaker with a debuff ahead of that character's turn, which caused you to waste a round in recovery.  All the while, the enemy warms up a technique that will kill everyone in no time flat.

I did enjoy how SoS seems to employ the Combo system from Chrono Trigger.  Combat becomes far more tactical and interesting when you have to make decisions about attack schemes.  Do you go with solo attacks or do you wait to unleash a more powerful combo?  The combo system also gives you incentive to level up your characters so that you unlock more powerful combos as individual party members gain new abilities.

The timing for release of SoS is kinda bad, though.  It drops at the end of August.  Mere days before Starfield.  As much as I would like to play SoS and Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty, once Starfield drops I know I won't devote the time to play another time destroying RPG.  Starfield will have my full attention.

Edited by J.T.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-nintendo-switch-2-targets-2024-with-next-gen-console/

Development kits for Nintendo’s next console are now with key partner studios, with launch planned for next year, sources have told VGC.

According to multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo’s next-gen console plans, the company is likely to release new hardware during the second half of 2024, to ensure that it has ample stock available on day one and to avoid the kind of shortages seen with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Although specific details on the console are being kept closely guarded, those VGC spoke to indicated that the next-gen console would be able to be used in portable mode, similar to the Nintendo Switch.

Two sources VGC spoke to suggested that the console could launch with an LCD screen, instead of the more premium OLED, in order to bring down costs, especially considering the increased storage needed for higher fidelity games. The current Switch comes with just 32GB of internal memory, while many current-gen PlayStation and Xbox games are over 100GB.

Like its predecessor, the new Nintendo console will also accept physical games via a cartridge slot, the sources said.

Other details, such as backwards compatibility support for Switch games (physical and digital), remains unclear. Nintendo has said it wants to convert as many of Switch’s 100m+ userbase as possible to its next system, although some third-party publishers are said to have expressed concern that legacy support for Switch games could negatively affect sales of next-gen titles.

• Like 1

After someone on here said the experience in Baldur's Gate 3 had improved a ton, I decided to reinstall it to give it another go. Yeah, they've gone a long way towards smoothing out, well, everything in BG3. This thing feels like it's ready for it's full release and without some kind of day 1 patch. I still think I would prefer WASD movement with the mouse controlling the camera in the exploration/pre-combat parts, but using WASD for the camera and pushing in the mouse wheel to move the camera around or zoom in/out works a lot better than it previously did. 

Good News, Everyone

Starfield’s product page on the Xbox store has been updated with a new feature that fans will be happy to see, the ability to seamlessly transfer and play saved data across console and PC versions of the game.

Here's a very, very stupid question (maybe). So I have Game Pass. Assuming Starfield is available for PC on Game Pass as well as the Xbox, will you be able to mod that PC version? I would imagine you could because it's just installing like any other PC game.

Although, if it's not available on Game Pass on the PC, I'm tempted to buy it on PC and just play it for free on the Xbox.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Here's a very, very stupid question (maybe). So I have Game Pass. Assuming Starfield is available for PC on Game Pass as well as the Xbox, will you be able to mod that PC version? I would imagine you could because it's just installing like any other PC game.

Although, if it's not available on Game Pass on the PC, I'm tempted to buy it on PC and just play it for free on the Xbox.

I've had no issues moding anything from PC Game Pass.  It downloads just like normal.  Only real difference is the games that would have Steam Workshop support over on Steam like Skyrim and FM don't have any such support on Game Pass, so you have to mod the games yourself.  I've put in FM23 and Farming Sim 22 mods without issue.

Game Pass PC tends to also just be the vanilla versions, any DLC you're on teh hook for, however they're usually discounted.  

And yeah, Starfield was announced as Day 1 Game Pass on PC as well.  I'm hoping that GeForce NOW finishes the integration of the Microsoft Store and PC Game Pass so I can play that way when it comes out.

Edited by Raziel
  • Thanks 1

Jesus. I went to the Starfield page to understand what's included with each version and could these companies please just make this shit easier to understand?! So many of the versions read the same and then some say "the base game is sold separately." Like if I wanted a physical edition, there's the Premium Edition Upgrade. That gets you a steelbook case, but no disc for it, a bunch of other bonuses, but you need to also either get the game on Game Pass or order a physical edition of the game. That also includes 5 days early access, but if I buy a physical edition of the game, that's not going to arrive 5 days early, so maybe there's a code I enter or something to play the game 5 days early?

Like, we've been doing convoluted preorders for what seems like forever now and none of it is getting better. It's all still a mess.

Can't wait, Baldur's Gate 3 tomorrow (if you have the EA version installed, delete your saves and then uninstall the game, it's recommended to avoid file conflicts with the release version, and EA saves (which could be on the Cloud) are incompatible with release version.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SirFozzie said:

Can't wait, Baldur's Gate 3 tomorrow (if you have the EA version installed, delete your saves and then uninstall the game, it's recommended to avoid file conflicts with the release version, and EA saves (which could be on the Cloud) are incompatible with release version.

Can't believe it's that time already. I put more time in with the early access version and yeah, I'm definitely going to be playing this. I should probably look, but it appeared that there is a multiplayer component? Is that right? Like on one of the screens it looked like there were buttons on the bottom left to add players to the game.

Yup. Multiplayer is a thing. You could do four player.

edit: in fact, the reason why Xbox S/X is delayed is that they're trying to get split screen on the Series S and having trouble with getting an acceptable frame rate

Edited by SirFozzie

Has the Xbox version of Starfield said yay or nay about mod support? I know Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition both have mod support.  I don't know why they'd not have mod support for their newest IP, especially since Todd Howard has come out and said they intentionally build their games to accommodate modders. I just haven't heard anything one way or the other. 

Howard labeled modding as part of the developer's "DNA," adding that he fully expects the upcoming game to be a "paradise" for modders and serve as a culmination of Bethesda's two decades' worth of community content support. With Starfield, the studio doesn't intend to stop with releasing official modding tools, but continuously facilitate fan-created content to such a degree that modders can approach it as "not just a hobby but a career," Howard explained.

Red Dead Redemption is getting a re-release on PS4 and Switch.  Not a remaster, just the original game and the DLC.  No PS5 or PC version is planned.

So I guess they were able to at least somewhat unfuck the codebase.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

lol not even a token shader upgrade package or anything, that's even lazier than Bethesda somehow. Amazing stuff.

Speaking of Bethesda, I wonder if they’ve forgotten about the Fallout 4 next gen upgrade they were going to do. Seems to have been lost in the hype with Starfield and whatnot.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

Speaking of Bethesda, I wonder if they’ve forgotten about the Fallout 4 next gen upgrade they were going to do. Seems to have been lost in the hype with Starfield and whatnot.

Wasn't it supposed to release around a year ago? 

57 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Wasn't it supposed to release around a year ago? 

Nope - it was announced Nov 2022 with just the promise of 2023

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/jfwd8PsUw8r3pKrO1wOc5/fallout25-conclusion-interviews-events-perks

FALLOUT 4 IS GOING NEXT-GEN

Prepare for the future: A next-gen update is coming to Fallout 4! Coming in 2023, this free update will be available for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and Windows PC systems, including performance mode features for high frame rates, quality features for 4K resolution gameplay, bug fixes and even bonus Creation Club content!

• Like 1