DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

When and where will this be streaming? 

Since it’s an A24 title it will be on Showtime via Paramount+ (A24 has a deal with them)

The speculation is it will hit in Feb or March

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Has this been mentioned/promoted anywhere before now?

I think folks knew another movie was happening but I think this was the first tease of any sorts

9 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Has this been mentioned/promoted anywhere before now?

Since the 2nd movie ended with a post credits of showing Shadow, and that the Sonic movies are actually pretty fun, 3 was definite.  That it's official gives me something to make my son excited when I get home Friday night.

• Like 1

Random movie news

Sebastian Stan will play Donald Trump in The Apprentice. The movie will be directed by Ali Abbasi (The Last of Us, Shelley)

Francis Lawrence (The Hunger Games franchise) will direct The Long Walk - an adaptation of Stephen King's first novel

Paul Greengrass will direct Drowning which is an adaptation of the novel Drowning: The Rescue of Flight 1421. Since it is a Warner Bros movie, it will probably be a tax write off and we will never see it

That looks metal as fuck. I'm in.

And at some point I should watch the two Sonic movies. I enjoyed Mario enough and don't mind it whenever my little girl wants to watch it. Sonic can't be that bad.

I remember when we watched the first Sonic movie as a family - we were all impressed by how not bad it was

A lot might hinge on your opinion of the usual Jim Carey chewing the scenery stuff

14 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Aw man, they didn't bring back Hugh Keays-Byrne. But it is a younger version, just like Furiosa. At least the mask can cover it up. 

The Long Walk will either be the darkest fucking film in the world or be a complete joke. They can't change the ending in this at all. It has to out-grim the end of The Mist. 

EDIT: Just remembered they changed the end of Apt Pupil, which was a very current-type shooting massacre. It kind of made the film better? I don't think they can swing that with this though. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I remember when we watched the first Sonic movie as a family - we were all impressed by how not bad it was

A lot might hinge on your opinion of the usual Jim Carey chewing the scenery stuff

Sonic 1 was the last movie I saw before lockdown.  The pre-show at Alamo was amazing (old commercials, newsreels from the 90s with this as the Mario killer, fanmade movies).  The movie was actually surprisingly decent, and my thought was thank god they changed the character model for Sonic back to the more familiar version. And Jim Carrey was really really fun. 

Sonic 2 I watched on an airplane.  That's about the nicest thing I can say.  

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

And at some point I should watch the two Sonic movies. I enjoyed Mario enough and don't mind it whenever my little girl wants to watch it. Sonic can't be that bad.

a friend's son lost his battle with cancer a few years ago, and his last wish was to be able to go and watch the Sonic movie. they got to go to an advanced special screening just for the family. he loved it and it brightened some of his final days.

when the parents came back to town, a big group of friends all watched Sonic in theater together. the movie will always hold a special place for me.

i don't have the same kind of story associated with Sonic 2. started watching it and immediately regretted paying money for this. but after maybe 30 or 45 minutes, i thought it turned around and became a decent enough flick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sonic 1 was the last movie I saw before lockdown.

What was the last movie you saw in theatres before Covid lockdowns is an interesting topic.

For me it was a matinee showing of Cats on New Year's Day, where we took a bunch of edibles beforehand. It was perfect.

First movie back was either Dune or The French Dispatch. So them both around the same time, can't remember which was first.

I think Parasite. I should have gone to see The Invisible Man but didn't (and still haven't). 

This reminded me that I saw The Addams Family as the last film showing before the Art Theater here in Champaign closed. Bittersweet memory, that one. 

First one back had to be Dune

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoa. Reasons? And has anybody else done this? 

I haven’t, but I’ve gotten way more selective about what I’ll leave the house for and what I’ll wait on as a result of habits being disrupted. I know I know, I’m part of the problem. 

Last movie pre-COVID was 1917. Probably doesn’t get me off the couch nowadays. 

• Like 1