DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Rewatched the trailer for Napoleon and I still that's Richard Kind playing Bomaparte!

An excerpt from "Napoleon", starring Richard Kind:

"Waterloo?  I don't know what to tell you!  I just *stammers a bit* had this feeling it was gonna work out so well for us!  I know it was a total disaster, but exile?  Don't you think that's a bit much?  Think of all those naval battles we won!  It's like you've forgotten what it was like w-when the Place de la Concorde was drenched in peasant blood!"

Now whatever Joaquin actually does with the role is ruined for me.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:59 AM, RIPPA said:

American Fiction

Written and Directed by Cord Jefferson (directorial debut - writer: The Good Place, Station Eleven, Watchmen)

Jeffrey Wright, Tracee Ellis Ross, Issa Rae, and Sterling K. Brown

So basically it's Bamboozled with books.

I think I'm one of about a dozen or so people who saw Bamboozled in the theater. The film wasn't nearly as bad as the press it got. Tommy Davidson in particular had a brilliant monologue at one point. And Michael Rapaport poking fun at his own image was funny. Unfortunately Spike Lee was at a critical nadir around that time and Damon Wayans is about as snakebit an actor in terms of film projects as anyone ever...

• Like 1

I mean, at the very least The Last Boy Scout should've taken off like Lethal Weapon and Die Hard did. It's every bit as good, it just fell prey to market saturation. And while Eight Crazy Nights is usually the Adam Sandler movie I stump for in terms of being way better than it's reputation, his buddy comedy with Damon (Bulletproof) is really quite enjoyable as well. And who doesn't like Major Payne?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, (BP) said:

In a better world, Damon Wayans would currently be promoting Blankman Beyond, the reboot follow-up to the divisive Blankman IV: The Quest for Sheets. 

Having just seen Blankman last month, I support this notion.

• Like 1

I caught the end of The Last Boy Scout a little while ago on Dish. I'm not sure if it wasn't almost too crazy for people, even though Die Hard and Lethal Weapon were certifiable themselves. Really I think he had come around too early in the game. His parallel if he'd came later on would perhaps be the success of Michael B. Jordan. The '90s were still a struggle for black actors (and I'm sure it isn't still entirely difficult, just a little more welcoming now). 

Hell, I was just thinking of him in Colors and it reminded me of the quote from Looney Tunes where he's proposing going into acting and asks Frog "Do you think America is ready to love two (expletive) at the same time?" The '90s already had Will Smith and he was safe as can be. Damon was a Wayans brother. It wasn't fair.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Just saw that The Last Boy Scout was released in December of 1991, that's a weird time of year for a hyper testosterone action flick that borders satire. Also, I wonder how much Hudson Hawk bombing had people passing on another Bruce Willis flick. Last Boy Scout is ok but when it comes to flawed 1991 bonkers action movies give me Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man.

Edited by Mister TV

17 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part Two has been pushed to May 23, 2025.

It's also being renamed.

I thought Dead Reckoning was pretty close to being the best in the series, but I still think Fallout holds that title for me. Part of that is Dead Reckoning just simply feels incomplete. Pretty bummed that it's being pushed all the way to 2025. These two movies feel cursed. Fucked by the pandemic and now doubly fucked because of the strike.

Fucking movie studios. Pull your heads out of your asses and give actors what they want and deserve.

• Like 1