DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Gran Turismo

Directed by Neill Blomkamp 

David Harbour and Orlando Bloom (Ginger Spice is in it, I think is also playing somebody's Mom)

It is based on a true story so it probably works better acknowledging Gran Turismo is an actual video game and going from there

This reminds me of when something similar was done with iRacing. I think one of the best players in the world at iRacing received an invite to drive in an open wheel format race. I don't think it was F1 or Indy racing, but something similar.

The guy wound up doing really well.

He also threw up in his car because of the speed.

Yeah in looking into it further - this is based on Jann Mardenborough

It seems like he won the GT Academy which seems like it was basically a reality competition that was put on by Nissan and Sony

Per wiki

GT Academy was conceived by Darren Cox, a former Nissan Europe executive, in 2006 to help Sony PlayStation racing gamers become professional racing drivers.[2] [3] A small event was held in 2006 in a partnership with Sony, where participants competed in the Gran Turismo game and on an actual track for a Nissan 350Z prize.[4][3] Cox saw the speed in real cars of the gamers and his idea of 'Gamer to Racer' was born.

In 2008, Darren Cox's concept materialized with the founding of Nissan GT Academy, a joint venture between Sony and Nissan, which took its name from the well-known Gran Turismo video game series.[5][3] In the same year, inaugural GT Academy competition took place, with Spain's Lucas Ordóñez claiming victory.[4][3] Following a commendable performance at the 2009 Dubai 24 Hours, Nissan enlisted Ordóñez for its works racing team.[4] Due to Cox's role in establishing and managing GT Academy, his character will be portrayed by Orlando Bloom in a film named after the game Gran Turismo, set to be released in 2023.[6][4]

DUNE: PART TWO

Starring Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Austin Butler, Rebecca Ferguson, and CHRISTOPHER WALKEN~~

Directed by Denis Villenueve

Premieres November 3rd.

• Like 3

I am digging Austin Butler's Feyd-Ruatha and the rest of the evil pasty Harkonnen.  I will try to set aside my distaste for Frank Herbert's homophobia and enjoy the movie.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

DUNE: PART TWO

Starring Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Austin Butler, Rebecca Ferguson, and CHRISTOPHER WALKEN~~

Directed by Denis Villenueve

Premieres November 3rd.

I am dissappointed by lack of codpiece from Butler, but damn does that look good.

And Florence Pugh will play the role of Irulan.  

With each book seemingly requiring three movies with each having a three hour runtime in order to tell the story properly, I estimate it will take 145 years to cover the entire six book series.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

He's the emperor, and Irulan's father

Lol, I dunno that clears anything up for those of us who haven’t read the books.

I have read several of the book, but that was several decades ago and I remember almost nothing about them except for sand and giant worms.  My lasting impression of Dune is that I saw the original movie in theaters and thought it was a chore to sit through.

i hsven’t seem the reboot film.  It’s probably better.

Have they announced the plan for the Dune films? Is it three movies per book?

I'm just wondering if this second movie wraps things up for the time being or if there is definitely a third in the works. Like how we knew that there was a part two on the way when the first one came out.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:40 AM, Log said:

Have they announced the plan for the Dune films? Is it three movies per book?

I'm just wondering if this second movie wraps things up for the time being or if there is definitely a third in the works. Like how we knew that there was a part two on the way when the first one came out.

per Wikipedia, if this film does well they will make a third movie based on the second book.

i skipped the the first Dune film specifically because a part 2 was announced. i will watch part 1 on a saturday and part 2 on a sunday. otherwise i won't remember/recognize anything between them. my memory is shot.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 10:37 AM, RIPPA said:

Gran Turismo

Directed by Neill Blomkamp 

David Harbour and Orlando Bloom (Ginger Spice is in it, I think is also playing somebody's Mom)

It is based on a true story so it probably works better acknowledging Gran Turismo is an actual video game and going from there

GT Academy is the route a man named Brian Heitkotter to go from doing auto-x to being a professional driver.

The 2020's answer to Winona Ryder, Jenna Ortega, will play Ryder's daughter in BeetleJuice 2

Keaton and Ryder will both reprise their roles.  

Release date is currently set for Labor Day Weekend '24  (that's 06 September for the rest of the world)

• Like 2