DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

Oh, and since I'm a former Kevin Smith apologist, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Jersey Girl. That's a great movie. Now that I have a little girl of my own, it hits home a little bit more. I think it's one of Kevin Smith's best movies.

Black Sheep is alright. It's basically Tommy Boy and it makes you wonder why they just didn't make Tommy Boy 2, but it's good. Was Black Sheep the one where they get pulled over and they start running outside the car screaming about bees?

No, that was Tommy Boy.

Black Sheep was the one where Farley's driving a car and the tank of nitrous oxide in the trunk leaks into the car so Spade and Farley get higher than kites and get pulled over for going 7 MPH on the interstate.

I'm generally not a fan of the Paranormal Activity movies, but I think the third one is actually pretty great. To me, that's the best movie out of the lot, not the first one. The lead guy is genuinely sympathetic, and doesn't come off nearly as dumb as the other protagonists in this series.

The ending is pretty messed up too.

Cannonball Run (1981) -- It's essentially nothing more than a multi-million dollar home movie for Burt Reynolds and his buddies to romp around for 90 minutes, but it's always good for a few laughs.  Roger Moore playing a guy who thinks he's Roger Moore gets me every time ("You know what your problem is, Mother?  You're too Jewish!")

Midnight Madness (1980) -- Disney's second PG-rated movie (after "The Black Hole") is about an all-night scavenger hunt in Los Angeles among college students.  The plot makes no sense (why are the students competing in this, given that the only award is bragging rights and none of the participants seem too fond of Leon, the one in charge of the hunt?), but I have to watch it at least once a year.  Michael J. Fox (who's reportedly embarrassed about doing this film) and Paul Reubens make early film appearances here, while Stephen Furst hams it up as the lead villain.

Since I'll probably never see a proper film adaptation of NEUROMANCER, at least there's the cheesy "unauthorized version" known as NEMESIS (1992).  And considering it's from the same hack who gave us BRAINSMASHER: A LOVE STORY and ALIEN FROM L.A., it's...more entertaining than it has any right to be.

Whole damn movie's on YouTube, to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nETmcF3FY-A

I loved The Rocketeer/The Phantom/The Shadow.  I will even throw out there that I really liked The Green Hornet (since we are on the pulp hero movie genre).  Sure it was a Seth Rogan take on it, but it was fairly serviceable as an entertaining movie.  Plus Kato was top notch casting.

Maybe one day we will get a Doc Savage movie.

Well, for a long time (especially judging from the reaction of Ebert and other critics of the time), I was thinking that I was the only one who cared for Freddy Got Fingered, but now it is apparently starting to gain a bit of cult sentimentality (not altogether unlike Baseketball).  Nathan Rabin's write up on the AV Club (http://www.avclub.com/article/my-year-of-flops-case-file-61-ifreddy-got-fingered-10849) does a far better job of summarizing the inherent genius behind the crude madness than that which would be evident in any attempt I would make in its defense.  I would put forth Chris Elliott's magnum opus Cabin Boy for a similar consideration.  I believe that as mainstream humor has evolved to the point where the absurd and dark forms have become more accepted, so too has the appreciation for these and similar films.

I'm more disturbed by the many of the posts in this thread expressing vitriol and condemnation for others who don't enjoy the same things as they do than I ever have been about the prospect of someone not extolling the virtues of a film that I cherish, though.

• Like 2

and another all time favorite as a kid was Disorderlies.  

Disorderlies was on HBO about eight times a week in the mid-80s. Fun movie, even though I don't remember a hell of a lot about it now.

Yeah I swear that movie was on all the time.  I don't know if I ever watched the entire thing at once, or if I just watched 20-30 minutes of it at a time 150 times.  The 80s seemed like a time that if you were even remotely famous you could be in a movie.  The Fat Boys were famous to a fairly small group of people for a pretty small amount of time, but they probably were as well known for this movie than making goofy rap songs.(by the way, we need someone needs to bring back Buffy's style of beat boxing0

When was the last time someone talked about "What about Bob?"  I love that movie, but it never seems to come on cable.  I remember watching it at school on a day before a holiday where I was wishing I was anywhere but school and for about an hour and a half I was actually happy I was there. 

• Like 1

I thought Freddy Got Fingered was hilarious. 

Nemesis and its sequels were awesome. CyberTracker with Don "The Dragon" Wilson is another DTV Terminator ripoff that I loved as a kid. 

Speaking of DTV, there is so much crap from Full Moon Productions (and Empire before that) which I absolutely adore. I must've watched Dollman vs. Demonic Toys a thousand times in my pre-adolescence, and that's just about the nadir of their output. I am also inordinately obsessed with the works of Fred Olen Ray and Jim Wynorski. And Troma. So my taste for bad movies can run pretty deep.

Hey, this is interesting. Fred Olen Ray is also apparently a pro wrestler under the name Fabulous Freddy Valentine and shot the Southern Discomfort wrestling doc. Plus under pseudonym he shot much of the late-night Skinemax trash that comes on all the time like anything with Bikini in the title. Wynorski has done a little of the same plus has worked with Corman on the SyFy combined-giant-animal-monsters flicks like Dinocroc vs. Supergator.

Since I'll probably never see a proper film adaptation of NEUROMANCER, at least there's the cheesy "unauthorized version" known as NEMESIS (1992). And considering it's from the same hack who gave us BRAINSMASHER: A LOVE STORY and ALIEN FROM L.A., it's...more entertaining than it has any right to be.

Whole damn movie's on YouTube, to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nETmcF3FY-A

The guy who did Splice is suppose to be doing Neuromancer with Liam Neeson as Armitage.

I really enjoyed License To Drive, it was a film with the Corey's and it was just a fun film. Another movie that I recall really digging was called Plain Clothes. I used to watch it all the time on the movie networks but haven't seen it for over 20 years now.

I know Brian Fowler won't like this, but I will defend Armageddon! Someone has to!

I know it's stupid as shit, but I loved this, when it was in cinemas. Probably I was just the right age and in the right state of mind, when I saw it.

• Like 1