DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Kingston/Ishii watched Sheamus/Gunther last night and asked someone to hold their beer. I'd figured they'd be laying into eachother, but the match kept going longer than I thought and kept getting more brutal.

The rest of the preshow was fine. Is Sabian turning into Al Snow?

Clusterfuck ladder matches are getting kind of tired at this point so the inconclusive ending didn't bug me as much as it normally would have, and I'm genuinely interested in Stokley's group. I suppose since the match is no DQ and "the joker" was technically in the match the ending was allowed?

In a vacuum the trios title match was fine with Dark Order doing a good job of playing the underdogs who were managing to edge out the much more experienced team. The finish even made them look strong as it was a complete accident that came after Hungee managed to counter the OWA. I'm not a fan of The Elite winning the belts and using the tournament to just continue the story of Omega and Page, but it is what it is.

Athena/Jade was good while it lasted. I think this would have been the time for Jade to drop the belt as Athena is a worthy champion

The second trios match would have been fine had it been on Rampage and all the FTR/MCMG segments were great. That bulldog into a lariat Cash hit was a cool looking move I hadn't seen before.

Hobbs/Starks was a nice showcase for Hobbs. They've got two guys here who are the future of the company and both needed the win, however I think Hobbs needed the win a bit more and that Starks is over enough and has the sufficient charisma to be ok taking the loss.

The Acclaimed have always been an entertaining duo but I never saw them as a main event team as far as in-ring talent goes, but they totally looked like they belonged in the tag titles match. Bowens was great as the imperiled member and Caster, who has always been the less good of the team, more than carried his weight whenever he was in. After Bowens kicked out of the stomp following the superplex, I started thinking they might have a chance. Things only got hotter from there with lots of other near falls and even though I think they were the heels here, The Acclaimed had the crowd eating out of their hands. This was easily the best match The Acclaimed have had and was my MOTN.

I really dislike the "wrestler gets injured, taken to the back, but finds a way to come back out and win" so I'm glad they didn't do that with Shida. Hayter was my pick to win but Storm is just as good a choice. Looks like they're finally pulling the trigger on a Hayter/Baker program.

There isn't any need to elaborate on the lack of sense in the JB/Christian match, just that I wonder if it was some sort of audible based on time constraints or injuries.

As insufferable as I've found Jericho in recent years, when he's in there with the right opponent and trying to tell the proper story he's still capable of putting on a quality match. It was also cool seeing Danielson get more into his ROH heel character with his taunting and mannerisms as the bout went on. The ending was a head scratcher though. On a show that was already heavy on non-fan-favorites coming out on top this seemed out of place. Given the people involved I'm assuming this was their choice and part of a larger story.

I'm not a fan of Danielson's remixed AEW theme as it is and the live version was not good at all and totally didn't fit the serious wrestler image he's trying to portray. House of Black on the other hand, if they had Amenra play them out to the ring it would make their entrance even more awesome. I didn't like HOB going out of the trios tournament in order to be in this program, but the match was better than I was expecting. All the HOB guys hit their stuff quickly and crisply and for a guy who may have back issues Malaki certainly wasn't showing any rust. Miro also looked to be in fantastic shape and was king sized whenever he was tagged in. The faces needed a win on this show and even though it wasn't the outcome I wanted the way they worked in Sting using the mist on his own was a cool way to finish the match. HOB desperately need to go on a tear after this.

The main event is probably going to prove to be incredibly divisive. There's been plenty of discussion over the booking surrounding the world title match and I don't know how much of it was rewritten on the fly due to injury statues or if this was the actual intended story. I don't get the hype on Moxley (he's like AEW's version of The Sandman to me) but this match felt like a big deal. There was no easy way to predict a winner and there was going to be a really hot crowd equally divided for each guy. Punk and Moxley then proceeded to have the match they should have had in their title unification match. If they'd scrubbed the past week and a half of matches and interactions and just done this match in the first place then everything would have been fine.

MJF's post match return was absolutely brilliant. From the TK voicemail to the ROH clip of a heel punk to MJF coming out to a massive pop, it was the best possible way to do it. On my previous point about Moxley being more of an attraction than a wrestler - he doesn't need the belt to be over and get the reactions that he does. Punk has the belt back but now has to deal with the guy he just barely bested being back and even more hungry for the title than before.

• Like 5

Just now, christopher.annino said:

We've had two, right? I could be wrong... but Mox and Storm were both challengers before shit changed.

Sammy & Mox were interim champions, and both were former TNT and World champions.

And even still, Mox wasn't set up as a challenger for Punk when he got injured.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Casey said:

Sammy & Mox were interim champions, and both were former TNT and World champions.

And even still, Mox wasn't set up as a challenger for Punk when he got injured.

I totally forgot about the TNT belt, good call. 

Just now, L_W_P said:

I'm giving this show a solid 'meh'.

Triple H era got Tony spooked.

Except the ple main event finish yesterday was fucking dumber than anything TK did on this show. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Easily my least favorite AEW PPV ever.

Some real questionable booking all night. Lee/Swerve over Acclaimed, Jericho over Danielson, Hobbs over Starks, the Jungle Boy/Christian non-match. 

Could’ve just been a burned out crowd, but the MJF return and reveal both seemed to have fallen super flat.

• Like 5

Just now, just drew said:

Except the ple main event finish yesterday was fucking dumber than anything TK did on this show. 

Yeah I was just about to say this. Triple H fucked up a World title, TK only whiffed a tag team title match. Not really comparable, and TK is like McMahon in the sense that he's pretty set in his ways about what he has booked unless his hand his forced by injury or something else.

I paid $20 for this show, and I more than got my money's worth with that trios tag title match and stuff like Toni Storm and CM Punk winning. But I can understand why people would feel let down if they spent $50 on this show. It didn't hit the highs of last year's show, that's for damn sure.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, MKERyan said:

Easily my least favorite AEW PPV ever.

Some real questionable booking all night. Lee/Swerve over Acclaimed, Jericho over Danielson, Hobbs over Starks, the Jungle Boy/Christian non-match. 

Could’ve just been a burned out crowd, but the MJF return and reveal both seemed to have fallen super flat.

Hobbs Over Starks is because this is the start of the feud, can only go bigger here. Starks will quickly regain the momentum with a promo, Hobbs was in a no-lose situation.

I guess everyone else fell asleep now haha

Anyway this was great and the chat was really fun. If I can remember the small bits:

- PAC sounding like a 1600s Admiral in the British Navy

- SCISSOR ME TIMBERS

- Taz speculating on what Swerve was gonna do when he had one of the Acclaimed in a hold and then was just like "oh, a backbreaker"

- One of us saying Kenny was "the mayor of Titty City" (DENNIS System? Who's that now?)

- Me saying Kip Sabien looks just like Dominic Monaghan

• Like 3

Just now, porksweats said:

Hobbs Over Starks is because this is the start of the feud, can only go bigger here. Starks will quickly regain the momentum with a promo, Hobbs was in a no-lose situation.

To add to this: Jack Perry (fuck you JR) vs Christian went the way it did because Christian is actually injured.

• Like 6

The formatting in this company frustrates the hell out of me. Like I don't know how you don't do Jericho/Danielson early on knowing is gonna be a grindy, slow technical match. Switch that up with the trios title match, which was supposed to be a marquee match anyways. Also, not super thrilled with the return of the weekly MJF monologue. 

How many chops and headbutts were there tonight? 

Ladder match was an absolute mess with most spots making zero sense. People opting to build silly structures instead of going for the win when there was no one around drove me crazy. Ending bit took forever too.

Loved the Trios Title Match and Tag Title match even though the teams I didn’t want to win, won. I screamed at quite a few near falls in these two matches they really got me many times.

Absolute AJ Starks baby.

Loved the crowd being pro-Hayter and also showing the often overlooked Alex Reynolds some love with their chants.

That bump by Jungle Boy was one of the worst I’ve ever seen, straight up murder by Luchasaurus.

Bryan kicked Jericho’s ass so much tonight, he looked like an absolute beast before the bullshit ending.

Main event was pretty great and I liked how the crowd support for Mox kept growing through the match. Nice tease and huge GASP from the crowd for the early GTS.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

I hope TK doesn't plan on running Chicago again for a long while. He kept dangling the carrot for them then pulling it away. I almost feel like tonight was some 4D chess meta booking to help MJF get over as a face. But I know that's wishful thinking.

-The execution of the Joker deal was really poor. Like I get having seen the whole thing unfold where they were coming for. But just clunky. Someone else can get the object down and hand it to someone else for the win? MJF looked like the magician secret guy. The lyrics to that song make sense in context but the actual music was about the dumbest choice for what was unfolding.

-I thought Jade and Athena was Jade's best match. (Not counting Cody / Shaq).

-Trios title match was amazing. Loved it all. Loved Kenny being jacked. Hated the whole hurt tshirt fake out stuff leading to this tho.

-So here's where shit goes wonky. Acclaimed should have went over. It really pissed off the audience that they didnt. Then Hayter should have went over. It really pissed off the crowd when she didn't. Then the Christian / Jungleboy thing was executed fucking amazingly well. And I loved it as a part of a longer story. But after the crowd was already mad you jobbed out another very popular homegrown guy for a WWE act. Again. Then Jericho beats Danielson. Sting beats House of Black. Just seems so... tone deaf. Like I don't imagine this was all done on purpose. But if it had been I'd give credit for being ballsy enough to sacrifice your A market for the sake of an anti management story.

-Punk winning played out exactly like I laid out in that post Dynamite thread after the loss. Letting Mox win and legitimizing his reign with a squash was a thank you, but Punk was always walking out of this show champion. The MJF reveal was real good. But I'll be very curious how they walk the tight rope on the story going forward. You don't want to make AEW the in story heel. Because those lines will blur and just like the Mr McMahon character / Authority story, the fans will buy in enough and make it super easy to actually turn on you.

Some great matches with some very questionable booking stuff tonight.

• Like 5

I thought things were going pretty good until the finish of the tag match left the crowd and myself deflated. I said this in chat, but if I could have changed two things, it would be pulling the trigger on the Acclaimed winning and having Hayter win. The Acclaimed losing took the energy out of everything. 

Then that Sting/Darby/Miro vs House of Black match happened and that was fun as hell with a really good finish. I actually loved that finish.

And the main event fucking rocked. I pretty much knew the mystery guy was MJF based off of the way he entered the ring, but paying off the long term booking is nice and I'm interested in seeing where things go from here.

$50 well spent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Still say Ricky needed the win more. Have Hobbs get his heat back in a post-match attack to further the angle.

• Like 3

Jamie Hayter was the absolute star of the women's four way. I agree that Hobbs needed the win more than Starks, but that one hurt. The ladder match had some moments, and I was glad to have been proven right as to what Stokely was recruiting for the past weeks. I did not see The Acclaimed and Joe getting the biggest non-CM Punk pops of the night. The Acclaimed are super over, but are they over enough to not NEED the titles?   

• Like 2