DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Belgian_Waffle said:

I guess technically his voice already became an on-screen character tonight

His voice was on one of the early Dynamites when he was caught on a "hot mic" with Mox demanding a match behind closed doors or something. He's been a presence in the wings before. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Dog said:

The whole scrum is way more theatrical than usual. Tony really went off at the end:

"There's people that have said things ... people who work here ... slammed me blatantly in public, and there's only so much of it that I'll take."

Brandon Thurston asked about numbers, and Tony said it probably won't beat last year's All Out because it's the third big wrestling show this weekend.

"When the fight is brought, I'll continue bringing fights of my own, and I have unique ways to do that, and a lot of money to fight with. This is not a game to me. This is my life. This is not a joke, and I take it really seriously."

"I have a lot more fucking money than Jim Crockett did, and I'm not going to sit back and take this fucking shit."

Many Tony Khan has really thin skin. 

I kind of feel like this is a lot different than Vince McMahon threatening to withhold WrestleMania from cable providers if they air Clash of the Champions or Starrcade or what have you.

He didn't get nearly this pissy about NXT opposite Dynamite.

Edited by TheVileOne

If this is all just a giant work, they aren't scripting it or playing it out very well. Because no one is acknowledging it on TV. Even Hangman completely no sold Punk calling him a coward and pretended like it never happened.

Also, it marvelously undercut MJF when he just made a huge comeback and laid down a challenge to MJF for the title.

I think his comment about wrestling being a unique atmosphere for coworkers hating each other being sometimes beneficial is absolutely fine and accurate. He just doubled down on it tonight. Punk has massive money matches now more than he did a couple weeks ago. 

Mixed bag of a show overall, probably the weakest AEW PPV for me. Fucking shoehorn stokely completely killed the ladder match. Whole match felt pointless like everyone involved were tied to a tag team or something else and aren't going to win, so everyone's just waiting for the Joker to come out and win, which is just how it played out. I like the idea of bringing back around to MJF/Punk which people talked about ever since their last match, but this was an extremely lame way to go about doing it. "Oh my God a bunch of guys in masks!!! Wow it's.... guys that were on TV last week!" Terrible and completely unnecessary to do the whole mask thing when it was very obvious from the moment he walked out who it was. 

That shit killed the show for me for a good while. Thought Athena had the biggest chance of beating Jade, but I'm glad she didn't. Only surprised it was done in under five minutes. Enjoyed the Machine Guns and Joe being back. Felt like Hobbs squashed Starks in five minutes with the finish really coming out of nowhere. 

Then the tag titles match completely stole the show with an amazing match from both teams. Super hot crowd, great near falls. This ruled. Women's 4 way was solid.

Christian/Jungle Boy was complete shit. Absolutely hated turning Luchasaurus again, as him not turning on Jungle Boy was my favorite part of this entire feud so that sucked and killed everything here for me. 

Jericho/Bryan was very good. Sting trios tag was fun. Great main event getting the match most expected the first time around. When they showed Punk arriving with Ace earlier, I thought he might get involved here but glad it just stayed between them. 

Post-show media scrum was fantastic as usual with Tony's words of war being the highlight once again. He's ready for a fight, he's got the fuckin' money and he's not taking this shit! 
Figured Punk was talking about the Bucks as far as the "EVPs" part and not Hangman, especially when he said "they think they're in Reseda" 

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I think his comment about wrestling being a unique atmosphere for coworkers hating each other being sometimes beneficial is absolutely fine and accurate. He just doubled down on it tonight. Punk has massive money matches now more than he did a couple weeks ago. 

Excited to see where we meet when it's Punk-Omega time. It was already top of my list, but even more so now. 

• Like 1

Since we're all venting has anyone already gone into how weird it is that Excalibur and Callis kept working to establish that Omega's bandages and pressurized shirt thing were actually all a ruse even though, by that logic, he was risking his team losing to United Empire when they ripped off his shirt and he proceeded to sell and get beat on for several minutes? I feel like there was a longer arc planned for the worked bandages/ring rust and then they decided to drop it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Since we're all venting has anyone already gone into how weird it is that Excalibur and Callis kept working to establish that Omega's bandages and pressurized shirt thing were actually all a ruse even though, by that logic, he was risking his team losing to United Empire when they ripped off his shirt and he proceeded to sell and get beat on for several minutes? I feel like there was a longer arc planned for the worked bandages/ring rust and then they decided to drop it. 

1. Excalibur doesn't even know what She-Hulk and Cobra Kai are. He thought Jade Cargill was green because she's "green like money."

2. Don Callis is a shyster.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If the Bucks and Paige confronted him and beat the crap out of him after that I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Okay wait. Did Saraya finally pop up for AEW? I remember that big deal made about her contract expiring months ago and she had big plans for a wrestling return after getting cleared to wrestle (or something)

I'm still catching up on the media scrum clips but FUCK! Saraya/Paige coming back is big time shit!

/s

Lmao

17 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I find it hard to believe that Tony just decided to get rid of just about the most liked guy on the roster for no reason. Wasn't just those three who were fuming about it. When it happened why didn't Tony call his EVP's and explain why he did it? Nothing about this makes sense.

Afaik the details of that never really came out. Like I kind of read it as colts contract expired and he wasn’t being used so he wasn’t going to be re signed, and then his popularity got him one of those special roh deals even though there’s no guaranteed future for that. If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I thought there wasn’t any word that he was let go or fired. 

• Like 1