DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 3/18/2022

Really good show.

Darby vs Butcher was just tremendous. Great mauling. Great showcase for Butcher and his size and presence and super credible offense. I like how they protected not just him but the weight and burden of the damage of the match on the finish. Hoping Sting doesn't do anything too crazy in the Tornado Tag. Space that stuff out, Steve.

Velvet vs Hirsch hit the right tone. It matters that Velvet didn't come out stirring it up and whatever. Hirsch's kick game was on point. Statlander's new attitude will probably take her pretty far.

KotBT vs Fuego/Bears was obviously good and in the comeback flurry from Fuego great even but I wish we had seen just a little more Bear Country attempts at offense. It could have gotten overwhelmed or countered or what else, but it would have only made the Kings look better in the end. I'm talking 15% here. It's a tough math, but regardless you can't say this wasn't effective.

And Lee vs Caster was good too. I like this version of Lee who will do the leapfrog/drop down, the pounce shoulder block, the biel in every match but isn't tossing out a ton more high spots each week on Rampage. Save them for when they matter. He still has enough presence and stands out without all that. Have him do the power moves and be a celestial body that everything rotates around and when it's important and in a major featured match, have him turn it up a notch. The Unrestricted interview this week was good. He mentioned that his cardio isn't what it used to be, that it isn't an issue in ring necessarily but he can't train like he used to post-COVID.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good matches for the most part, the trios match being the low point excepting the final sequence. Malakai Black is a great wrestler stuck in his own bad gimmick.

The countout was a great surprise finish to that excellent big-little opener. I get to see Sting live next week!!!!!!

I was into Hirsch for a while but that angle has run its course for me.

I was hoping I’d get to see Lee-Bowens next week, but it seems to be setting up for Lee-Swerve vs. Hobbs-Starks. At least there will be some hoss fighting.

• Like 3

I was tuned up and full of calzone like Dean in the late '80s so I had to go back and watch this one in the morning. Everything was great. Butcher looked the best he ever has, but anyone versus Darby is probably gonna look good. In any case, he didn't look to be sucking wind like usual, and his offense looked brutal. The Leyla/Red Velvet match made me think of Psicosis/Rey in that I want to see every variation of them against each other. And the House of Black squash was INSPIRED. They had to have seen the triple moonsault from Wednesday and said "hold my beer". 

Then, because of freakin March Madness, Mark Henry said "It's time!" and my recording cut off. Boooooooooooo.

• Like 4

On 3/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, The Natural said:

03:30am for the hardcore or should that be foolish UK peeps who watch live.

Did you watch it live, you crazy wonderful person? I slept a good 7 hours and got up and took a decent nap some 5 hours later.  Worth it like that, not sure if it was worth it watching live? If so, was it?

Also, who said Matthews looked off without the satanic tattoos, I'd  love to agree with you, but with a physique like that, I'd hate to F it up with tattoos! I have one, and while I choose to never regret it, I would not spoil this, ehrm, statue, any further!

Edited by Shartnado
Buddy lack of tattoos...
  • Like 1

That Darby dive was nuts and it was cool to see, on the replays, Butcher saving his life by hanging on and slowing him down.  A++++ work by wrestling’s other Big Andy, who is sneaky coming up and I’d be cool with a singles push.

Fuck yeah AEW.  They can make a countout make sense from a psychology standpoint and not feel like bullshit.  That’s so awesome.

I need more House of Black just murdering everyone with no tags needed.

The visual of Velvet doing the ten punch in the corner against an opponent whose head barely clears the top buckle was hiiiiiiilarious.

I know Hirsh’s theme starts with “something something is legitimate” but I read this someplace and now can’t unhear MY DAD IS A GENTLEMAN!!!!

loooooool fuck Ted Cruz and God bless The Acclaimed.

Jericho: Yeah!! Bury the young guys!!

Tazz: Spoken like a true sports entertainer!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I know Hirsh’s theme starts with “something something is legitimate” but I read this someplace and now can’t unhear MY DAD IS A DOUBLE POST! 

Please delete

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6

On 3/19/2022 at 8:00 AM, StuntmanCrowley said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like Lee while still being awesome, is still working himself back into shape after all of the heart and health issues? He seems a step or two slower in AEW than in NXT.

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

And Lee vs Caster was good too. I like this version of Lee who will do the leapfrog/drop down, the pounce shoulder block, the biel in every match but isn't tossing out a ton more high spots each week on Rampage. Save them for when they matter. He still has enough presence and stands out without all that. Have him do the power moves and be a celestial body that everything rotates around and when it's important and in a major featured match, have him turn it up a notch. The Unrestricted interview this week was good. He mentioned that his cardio isn't what it used to be, that it isn't an issue in ring necessarily but he can't train like he used to post-COVID.

I share these views.  I worry about the long game for Keith without dropping some of the excess.  

16 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Jericho: Yeah!! Bury the young guys!!

Tazz: Spoken like a true sports entertainer!

He slid that hilarity in nicely after Starks complaining about new guys trying to take their spots.  I was into Jericho's commentary here more than usual.  

I echo the fun feelings being expressed about this show.  I love how the House of Black are able to slowly and kinda quietly build this incredible buzz.  Fuego oughtta ask for a rematch.  

Stoked for Lee/Swerve-Team Taz-Acclaimed.  I like that the Acclaimed are becoming so beloved that ppl r starting to get impatient with their W/L.  They'll be unbeatable at some point, and the slow build is smart as Caster polishes his game.  Also intrigued by Jericho/Garcia v Reynolds/Silver.  Jericho's revitalized heel act is such a refreshing coat of paint. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Yo, that Darby va Butcher match was the shit. Butcher is so freaking good now. Please TK, make that guy into your Sid. Dude has an incredible look and since dropping weight, he’s not gassing out in 5 minutes. That Cloverleaf, powerbomb, cloverleaf spot was awesome. I think I loved everything about that match, including the finish.

• Like 7

I think Big Butch will eventually find his way to a more upward role, but he's still catching fruit under the learning tree.  It's a testament to AEW's quality booking that a guy like Butcher is still so seemingly fresh while dropping a lot of falls thus far in his run - tho, mostly as a team.  I do sorta wish Butcher would double down on that knee drop walk he enters the ring with.  I wanna see him pull that out late in a bout when he's got a guy on the ropes and is cooking up something big.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Bearcat being Lee's idea was a fan theory that got pushed as legit for some reason.

Clickbait articles like this are why it got pushed as legit. Articles that are written to match for Google SEO rather than provide any information of actual facts, truth, or substance.

https://www.thesportster.com/keith-lee-bearcat-nickname-meaning-explained/

https://www.essentiallysports.com/wwe-news-reason-why-wwe-added-bearcat-to-keith-lees-ring-name-keith-lee/

They push this idea that Keith Lee's new gimmick is a "tribute" to an old-school wrestler, so it must be his idea! When it's really just typical Vince McMahon/WWE Creative Team sabotage bullshit.

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Bearcat being Lee's idea was a fan theory that got pushed as legit for some reason.

- insert sure Jan gif here -

If you guys don't think WWE leak things to sites too you're being pretty naive. They wanted it to be known as "his idea" without formally doing a press release / having the announcers say it. Because it was a lie. But they still wanted people to think that to tone down the narrative. So they told a couple sites. And those sites were ripped off by other sites. And so on and so forth.

WWE have their dudes they leak stuff to. That Ryan Satin dude was even on the payroll during the Backstage show days on Fox.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

- insert sure Jan gif here -

If you guys don't think WWE leak things to sites too you're being pretty naive. They wanted it to be known as "his idea" without formally doing a press release / having the announcers say it. Because it was a lie. But they still wanted people to think that to tone down the narrative. So they told a couple sites. And those sites were ripped off by other sites. And so on and so forth.

WWE have their dudes they leak stuff to. That Ryan Satin dude was even on the payroll during the Backstage show days on Fox.

It was being mentioned on twitter before the news sites picked it up. Maybe WWE were the ones who started it, but at first appearance it was more random fan theory likely trying to excuse dumb shit more than anything else. 

Maybe I'm old and don't understand the premise. The sites were reporting that it was Keith Lee's idea. And I never saw a single thing about it being a Twitter theory or fans speculating or anything like that. And I do see that a lot when that's how a story starts. Fans speculating Kenny Omega may be in the Rumble, ect.

It was reported as fact because it was leaked directly to sites. It was never reported as speculation or rumor has it. It was reported as a truth because it was presented to them as a truth by people who would know. So they just reported it as the truth.

You could be right. But I've seen zero evidence other than you just saying you saw it on Twitter before a site. So I'm gonna stick with the more logical possibility.

• Like 2