DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 3/18/2022

Following up an all-timer of a PPV and a stacked St. Paddy's Day Dynamite, AEW dials it down a notch and gives us... exactly the kind of low-key wrestling card that I, personally, love to watch.

Bear Country & Fuego (!) vs House of Black

I am so stoked to see three of my favourite AEW YouTube show mainstays on Rampage! What kind of freaky strength spot will Boulder pull off against the Evil Tattooed Guys? I wish House of Black would just come out to Malakai's very very awesome theme (I think it's called GNAGONFRUZZST). Bear Country have to be on the verge of breaking all the way through by now. Obviously, they are gonna lose today, and watching Fuego get tossed around is going to be great, but I am mostly looking forward to seeing what Boulder and Bronson do in there.

Legit Leyla vs Red Velvet

Speaking of breaking all the way through... it does my heart good to see how well The Legit One (I can't spell Hirsch) has gotten herself over with the AEW crowd and the folks on these boards. It's kind of a shame, in my opinion, that quite a few people want her to be The Female Taz(z) rather than just letting her be her own thing... but that's an issue I have with a lot of AEW talk in general. It's a "me" thing. But Hirsch is awesome. She doesn't need to ride on anyone's coattails. 

Max Caster vs Keith Lee

I am enjoying the patient way AEW is bringing Keith Lee along. Reminds of what they did with Miro. when you've got someone as awesome as Rusev or Bearcat, there's no need to rush things. They have so much obvious star power. You'd have to be unbelievably incompetent to screw up booking dudes like that! 

Darby Allen (w/Sting) vs Butch(er) (w/Blade)

I like how the ongoing Andrade storyline has so many threads, and how those threads intersect with so many other threads. And there are so many intriguing possible match-ups that can be built out of that. 

Like this one! Who doesn't like a good David vs Goliath match?

No massive, huge, must-see "Championship Opportunities" here. Just a bunch of really good, likable, entertaining, gifted pro wrestlers doing what they do best. And if you're not down with that, I have two words for ya: "Fair enough."

For me, personally, I love this kind of show every bit as much as I loved the totally stacked ones.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Don't forget, as Excalibur mentioned 132 times on Wednesday, that this is going on late tonight.  11:30 or whenever the basketball game ends.

03:30am for the hardcore or should that be foolish UK peeps who watch live.

• Like 3

I don't know if it was intentional, but the House of Black were treated like biggest babyfaces ever by the San Antonio crowd. 

I guess Rampage coming on super late is the reason for the largely inconsequential Rampage.  We still had fun.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I don't know if it was intentional, but the House of Black were treated like biggest babyfaces ever by the San Antonio crowd. 

I guess Rampage coming on super late is the reason for the largely inconsequential Rampage.  We still had fun.

San Antonio is a Metal town, I suspect that’s part of it.

The Austin show will be interesting because probably 10% of the audience is going to look like skinnier Brody Kings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

San Antonio is a Metal town, I suspect that’s part of it.

The Austin show will be interesting because probably 10% of the audience is going to look like skinnier Brody Kings.

Last Austin AEW show I went to literal Jesus was in the crowd.

• Haha 1

This latenight wrestling reminds me of the late 80s when NWA Worldwide would come on at midnight on channel 6 in Richmond.  If they showed the start of the main event and then went off the air after three minutes, I would drink a 12 pack of Magnum malt liquor and start calling old girlfriends.  What a fucking beating Darby Allin took.  Schneider was right about Allin and Sammy Guevara; they are definitely trying to one-up each other every week.  Jesus, I can't imagine what Sammy is going to do.  Leyla Hirsch is teeny and evil!  Has Red Velvet and Wes Brisco gotten married yet?  That match was good, putting Red Velvet over by advancing the Hirsch/Statlander feud.  House of Black entrance is so bad ass.  Buddy does look odd without a myriad of satanic tattoos.  He needs HENNA! Fuego del Sol setting the FUCKING AWESOME finish was great.  Oh man, Fuego made Buddy's finisher look fucking spectacular.  Man, that was a GREAT squash.  Fuego del Sol is the best wrestler in AEW?  Maybe... Keith Lee is over in San Antonio.  So Keith Lee is Vader if Vader worked safe.  Max Caster is definatley the Stevie Ray of the Acclaimed.  Anthony Bowen would have been better, but Max sold the assbeating like a man.  I love that Keith Lee has created Beel-a-mania in AEW.  Talk about spectacular finishers.  Shane Strickalnd and Keith Lee versus Team Taz is gonna be good. YAY! AEW RULES THE WORLD!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I think, by virtue of losing a hell of a lot on television, AEW crowds are very hot to the idea of The Acclaimed winning something.

Darby Allin is the best little guy wrestler going today. Just like having to Double Coffin Drop on Billy Gunn, they figured out a smart story to tell w/ Butcher and went with the non-obvious finish. Best I'e ever seen Andy Williams look. DOOM RIVER~

• Like 6

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

I think, by virtue of losing a hell of a lot on television, AEW crowds are very hot to the idea of The Acclaimed winning something.

Darby Allin is the best little guy wrestler going today. Just like having to Double Coffin Drop on Billy Gunn, they figured out a smart story to tell w/ Butcher and went with the non-obvious finish. Best I'e ever seen Andy Williams look. DOOM RIVER~

Definitely the best Butcher match ever.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Oh yeah, the finish to that House of Black match was the best five seconds of wrestling you've ever seen. It got two rewinds from my household.

I just rewatched the whole match.  So fucking good.

• Like 4

Dan Lambert identifies as a co-TNT champion right now?!? That's some audacity right there! Based on what? Boomer entitlement? Somebody should just offer to challenge Scorpio and him in a handicap match and see how he likes it? He wasn't exactly a world beater in that big tag match against against the late Inner Circle!

Fuego died repeatedly for our enjoyment. He earned his paystub (and possibly a concussion).

Up there with the Shelton Benjamin springboard into a Sweet Chin Music and Rollins Stomp turned into a pop-up RKO with gnarlyness. Not once, but twice in the same match! Fuego's never going to be real championship material, but I hope he gets a brief Mikey Whipreck-like run with one down the road, just to pay him back for putting people over lkike CHAMPS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kinda loved Darby-Butcher with the logical count out finish after taking a death finisher on the outside. Butcher’s lariats were OUT OF CONTROL in this match. Give me 10min of him and Hangman kicking the shit out of each other at some point please.

I'm not a Red Velvet fan but she looked quite good tonight and that match with Leyla was pretty great imo. Some nice aggression from both.

Didnt care for the trios match except for the last minute when Fuego tagged in and it went into that crazy finishing sequence. That made up for the rest of the match which was a bit meh.

Main event was OK but Lee’s matches feel a bit too slow for me with too much of “oh look how the other guy can’t hurt him” moments and slow reactions and turns from Lee. When they get past that and kick into the next gear they get pretty damn good. Looking forward to the eventual Hobbs match because it will  hopefully skip that and just go into the two titans clashing violently.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1