DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

I do hope we one day get animated films from DC about, oh, ANY characters other than Batman (that aren't Superman, and Justice League films only marginally count). Hell, an anthology film would be just dandy.

Well, two last times given he voices him in

Arkham Knight

A gruesome recreation of The Killing Joke as Joker paralyses Barbara Gordon and will probably go down as one of the most memorable Arkhamverse moments. Mark Hamill’s wanted to voice the Joker in an animated adaptation of The Killing Joke. I remember further references to The Killing Joke by Joker previously in Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City.

Hamill and Conroy please!

ah, what the hell. i'm in regardless.

Has to be.

Hulk and Agents of SMASH (which I've still never seen) is officially dead, with Guardians taking its place this fall.

You're better off.  I thought it was turr-ible (yes, it was so bad I refuse to spell the word right.  If it had been better, then it could be "terrible".

I do hope we one day get animated films from DC about, oh, ANY characters other than Batman (that aren't Superman, and Justice League films only marginally count). Hell, an anthology film would be just dandy.

Dini and Ross's World's Greatest Superheroes?
  • Like 1

Hulk and Agents of SMASH (which I've still never seen) is officially dead, with Guardians taking its place this fall.

You're better off.  I thought it was turr-ible (yes, it was so bad I refuse to spell the word right.  If it had been better, then it could be "terrible".

In agreement with Bill.

It's got a good combination of humour and heart. Lots of really emotionally involving episodes. Also the gems all being genderfluid with some outright lesbian relationships has made it pop with the LGBT community. What since...

Pearl was in love with Steven's mom and Garnet is a fusion of Ruby and Sapphire, that form being the ultimate expression of their love.

It is maybe the gayest US kids show ever and that's connecting. But beyond that it's also just got really great character work once it hits its stride.

Just curious: what are the consensus picks for Best Superhero Cartoons? Not counting Batman or X-Men from the 90s, nor Justice League and its various relatives, I already know about those. I'm just curious as to what over the past 15 years or so is generally thought to be The Good Shit.

Last ten years and outside the DCAU, I'd rank the best:

1) Young Justice

2) Spec Spidey

3) EMH (MIGHT have beaten Spidey if its second season hadn't been derailed)

4) Teen Titans (though crucially that's the only one I haven't seen since it went off the air)

5) Green Lantern (which could have been something really special if it'd gotten more than one year)

6) Wolverine and the X-Men (same as GL, though it did have some narrative problems)

I think I might be ruined for the traditional old Teen Titans show, because 1.I've never been convinced that Deathstroke is any kind of formidable arch-enemy (he's just a regular guy with NO special powers!), but more importantly 2.I'm a huge fan of Teen Titans Go!, and it's pretty much impossible to take the soap-opera melodramatics of the original cartoon SERIOUSLY once you've dived so deep into the bitterly deconstructive parody version.

I dont know if i would say much if any of the Titans cartoon was serious or melodramatic, except maybe some of the Slade stuff or the Doom Patrol arc.

I would at least watch the two Mad Mod episodes and they are wonderfullly absurdist and metatexual. (Of course those are the ones i would recommend)

Deathstroke actually does have powers. He was experimented on to give him the ability to use 90 percent of his brain. And he has the strength of 10 men, and enhanced agility, telexes, etc.

I would say he's pretty much a heel Cap.

Just curious: what are the consensus picks for Best Superhero Cartoons? Not counting Batman or X-Men from the 90s, nor Justice League and its various relatives, I already know about those. I'm just curious as to what over the past 15 years or so is generally thought to be The Good Shit.

AEMH is my favorite despite the last fourth or show being massively derailed by Loeb coming in. Up to that point it was easily the best to me.

Spectacular Spider-man may be the best of the superhero shows, but the design style always took a little something away from it for me.

Young Justice was great though ends a bit flat with no season to follow up on the the big final of the second season.

Wolverine & the X-men was pretty good outside of the handful or so of episodes focused on Logan's past. Said episodes weren't bad, they just had nothing to do with the season's plot & took away time that probably should have been spent on more of the cast. Its probably the best X-men series in truth though I still prefer the 90's show despite the flaws. Its a shame there was never a second season as they would have focused on Age of Apocalypse.

I think I might be ruined for the traditional old Teen Titans show, because 1.I've never been convinced that Deathstroke is any kind of formidable arch-enemy (he's just a regular guy with NO special powers!), but more importantly 2.I'm a huge fan of Teen Titans Go!, and it's pretty much impossible to take the soap-opera melodramatics of the original cartoon SERIOUSLY once you've dived so deep into the bitterly deconstructive parody version.

Its nice to see another fan of Teen Titans Go! on the board.

• Like 1

The Spectacular Spider-Man is the best ever adaptation of the source material. The only criticism I see is the art design which never once bothered me. If pressed, I'd probably have it second only to Batman: The Animated Series.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was a great show which took a dip in quality in the second half of the second season with Jeph Loeb.

Shame both were replaced by inferior versions, Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble. Avengers Assemble is the name of the animated series and The Avengers (2012) in the UK.

Please see them, Jingus.

Like the little I've seen of Wolverine and the X-Men and Young Justice.

Well, two last times given he voices him in

Arkham Knight

A gruesome recreation of The Killing Joke as Joker paralyses Barbara Gordon and will probably go down as one of the most memorable Arkhamverse moments. Mark Hamill’s wanted to voice the Joker in an animated adaptation of The Killing Joke. I remember further references to The Killing Joke by Joker previously in Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City.

Hamill and Conroy please!

ah, what the hell. i'm in regardless.

Has to be.

Fans rejoice! Mark Hamill will indeed provide the voice for The Joker in DC's animated take on Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, which is due out next year. The Star Wars: The Force Awakens actor had already expressed interest in reprising the iconic role for the movie, but sources have confirmed to Collider that it's definitely going to happen - in fact, word is he's already recorded his voice acting!

Mark Hamill has voiced the character on many different occasions, from Batman: The Animated Series, to the likes of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, The New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Birds of Prey, and more recently the Arkham Asylum video games. Alan Moore's graphic novel is widely considered to be the definitive Joker story, so it's great to hear that Hamill will be back. Now, fingers crossed that Kevin Conroy will also return as Batman!

Source: Collider

oh_yes_david_tennant.gif

Deathstroke actually does have powers. He was experimented on to give him the ability to use 90 percent of his brain. And he has the strength of 10 men, and enhanced agility, telexes, etc.

Aren't people saying that whole we only use 10 percent of our brains thing is junk science now though?