DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

oh for fucks sake, just imagine that picture of Tommy Lee Jones glaring at you here

You apparently disagree with me about the overall quality of that show. What specific points in my statements do you hold opposing beliefs about, and what is the particular nature of said opposing beliefs?

And man, that Island Of Silence on A:EMH was soooo goddamned creepy. I already love this show.

The few little alterations they're making to the traditional comic cannon are cute, too. Like, using a much more articulate and basically-average-intelligence Hulk than is typically portrayed in screen adaptations. Or, having Bucky/Cap's "demises" coming when Bucky tries to sacrifice himself in order to save Roger (even going so far as to blubber "the world needs Captain America more than it needs me!") rather than basically just having Bucky tripping and falling to his presumed death like usual. Blatantly having Wolverine right there as a Howling Commando (and even having Fury CALL him "Howlett") was a nice touch too.

And now, in the first Ant-man episode, we're introduced to Pym with him taking out a team of evil mercenaries. The mercenaries are blatantly drawn to look exactly like the commando team from Predator! Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Jesse Venture, and... uh... that guy who played Billy the indian. I mean, they're dead-on resemblances, it's obviously supposed to be them (even though their voice actors aren't trying to sound like them). And do they end up Firing In All Directions at an Invisible Technologically-Superior Enemy who takes them down one by one? HELL YES THEY DO. This show fucking rules.

All four shorts in that ep (the Hank and Jan trilogy and the Panther origin) are really good.  Pym gets probably the strongest arc thru the series as a whole even though he's not in that much of season 2, although it gets derailed by the changeover from Kyle/Yost to Loeb and Man of Action (stuff that should have been slow-burning subplots over 6-7 eps all gets smashed into one episode that doesn't quite work).

• Like 1

Sorry you don't like The Spectacular Spider-Man so far, Jingus. I opened up two old word documents I created when I first watched the show years ago to see the episodes I liked the most:

Group Therapy. (S1, Ep11).

Intervention (S1, Ep12). This might get my vote as the best episode of the whole series.

Nature vs. Nurture (S1, Ep13)

Gangland (S2, Ep10)

Final Curtain (S2, Ep13)

Haven’t watched the show since.

I guess this goes here?  I watched KISS/SCOOBY DOO: ROCK AND ROLL MYSTERY, and it was all going well and fine until they travesered to "Kissteria" KISS' home dimension, which just so happens to be a love letter to Jack Kirby.

CL6HipvWwAAMeTr.jpg

CL6Ht-AWEAAMrXf.jpg

This guy is "The Destroyer," and he is literally Galactus-as-M.O.D.O.K.

If you love Jack Kirby, or were disappointed by the new Fantastic Four movie, I'd heartily recommend it.

(excuse the crappy pics, they're shots of my TV, but I was too lazy to get close enough for them to be full screen, so they're zoomed on my iPad camera.)

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot that the first Sat AM season of Real Ghostbusters had original songs.  They are of poor quality (not Sonic Underground bad, but "why did we spend money on this instead of spending that part of the budget to improve something else?" bad.)

Into the second season, Earth's Mightiest Heroes still rules. They did a hell of a job with the slow build of storylines, letting the villains gradually craft their grand schemes over long periods of time. Even better, I love how they make it very clear that there's a larger Marvel Universe out there, one which they simply don't have time to explore every corner of. Like, how the more experienced Avengers and the F4 treat Doom with such familiarity-bred contempt, a general attitude of "oh come ON, you unbelievable asshole, you KNOW that you're not gonna win this fight". Or how they'll do things like offhandedly mention "yeah, we're pretty popular with the public, but there are other superheroes like Spider-man or the X-Men who aren't" and I almost shit my pants cuz those guys hadn't appeared in the show at all. We even got, more outta nowhere than any Randy Orton finish, ABIGAIL BRAND OF S.W.O.R.D. kicking all the alien ass. It really puts over the feeling of a larger shared world wherein these incredibly colorful characters have had tons of epic adventures, in between all the ones we've seen on the show. And all the top characters from the comics are present and accounted for and NOT horribly mutilated in the adaptation process. Heck, this is nicely achieving everything that I was bitching about in the other thread that Agents of SHIELD seems unwilling or unable to do.

Watched Justice league: Gods & Monsters. Thought it was good overall. I dug the background behind each of the Trinity and ways turned things on their head a bit.

I also watched a feature for the upcoming Batman: Bad Blood. That one killed most of my interest for it as they changed way too much of Batwoman's background.

Watched Justice league: Gods & Monsters. Thought it was good overall. I dug the background behind each of the Trinity and ways turned things on their head a bit.

I also watched a feature for the upcoming Batman: Bad Blood. That one killed most of my interest for it as they changed way too much of Batwoman's background.

Is she still a lesbian?

Is she still a lesbian?

I don't even know as they avoided mentioning it. The military background is gone ,and it sounds like they killed the Kane/Wayne connection as well since they kept talking her up as an outsider to the family, inspired to take up the mantle due to Bruce saving her.

Gods and Monsters was the best DCAU flick in ages by virtue of being less violent than the last two JLA movies despite really being able to go further given the concept.

Actually used dark and gritty in a positive way. The whole world was neat and well thought out. So noted, peep the prequel comics/shorts for max effect.

To be fair with that one, the actual Flashpoint story was pretty damn violent. Of course it also wasn't very good from what I've heard and recall from what bits of it I read, making for an odd film choice.

I don't recall Throne of Atlantis being too violent, hence my surprise hearing the film is.

Throne of Atlantis has multiple beheadings, people being sliced to pieces, and just blood everywhere. Son of Batman is Ninja Scroll levels of gory but at least you can kind of excuse it with a ninja centric Batman story.

But seriously the level of gore in that stretch from Flashpoint Paradox to Throne of Atlantis was out of control. Batman vs. Robin and Gods and Monsters seem to have scaled it back so that's good.