DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Yeah. They kept basically all of Batwoman's origin. They didn't address the DADT element but they didn't contradict it either. They added a bit about Dick being childhood friends with her because they both got dragged to rich person socials, which makes sense actually given that she's related to Bruce on his mother's side.

One notable thing is that instead of Renee Montoya being an ex, they're just starting out in this but that's all good.

Unrelated to Batwoman, I'm pumped that the next canon Batman film looks like it'll feature

Batgirl

if the stinger is anything to go by. Super jazzed.

• 2 weeks later...

So in the past couple weeks, Greg Weisman and Khary Payton have been tweeting saying things like 'nothing official or anything, but Netflix are looking hard at the stats on Young Justice.' (paraphrased) So, y'know, if you've been thinking about binge rewatching it, now is a good time.

• Like 1

It doesnt happen often, but boy, that last episode of B&B might even be too meta for me.

On the other hand, the creature commandos on dinosaur island fighting the Ultra Humanite who brain is in a giant white T-Rex is amazingly brilliant.

Finally watched Batman: Bad Blood. Hated the voice acting for Talia. She just doesn't feel right w/o an accent. They were way to kill happy. And I could have done w/o Batwing. That said, I thought it was good on the whole, much better than Batman vs. Robin. I was so happy to see them keep so much of Kate's backstory.

• 2 weeks later...

GF just finished binge watching YJ. She loved it, but I had to explain a lot. Wally's fate pretty much crushed her; I explained why I was convinced that a hypothetical season 3 would bring him back. I also told the story of waiting teo-plus months to watch the finale because it landed mid-Flashpoint, of course.

Yeah, I just finished watching through it again with a friend while another coincidentally did their own watchthrough. Wally wrecked my friend because they'd spent the whole season being worried about a bunch of characters that they just assumed Wally was safe because he was retired.

Also, I forgot how Red Arrow Roy just kinda disappears in the back half. It's such a busy season but a glimpse at what life looked like for him now would have been good.

Black Manta being a shitty person but a really good dad kinda hits me in the gut. They sort of backtrack on it in summit to make the obvious fight work but still.

I really love this show. And while it's too much to hope, it'd be nice if the whispers about Netflix making a third season ring true.

Netflix just added the early 2000s WB Batman series, so I'll finally get around to the last couple of seasons. I'm not crazy about some of the character designs and retooled origins, but it's a solid Batman show. I think it would be better regarded if it hadn't so closely followed the BTAS run. And they actually use Bane to do a takeoff of Knightfall, which was neat since BTAS sort of just jobbed him out from the start.

The Aqualad-Black Manta relationship was the story I really wanted to see have a conclusion.  Aqualad doesn't agree with his father's methods, but he recognizes Manta has a sense of honor and humanity that he grew to respect. Loving the person but hating what they stand for is pretty heavy stuff for a cartoon to cover.

• Like 1

Finally watched Batman: Bad Blood. Hated the voice acting for Talia. She just doesn't feel right w/o an accent. They were way to kill happy. And I could have done w/o Batwing. That said, I thought it was good on the whole, much better than Batman vs. Robin. I was so happy to see them keep so much of Kate's backstory.

Glad to hear Kate Kane's history was kept. Haven't watched the DC Animated films lately. Batman vs. Robin, an Arkham one and Bad Blood, right?

Netflix just added the early 2000s WB Batman series, so I'll finally get around to the last couple of seasons. I'm not crazy about some of the character designs and retooled origins, but it's a solid Batman show. I think it would be better regarded if it hadn't so closely followed the BTAS run. And they actually use Bane to do a takeoff of Knightfall, which was neat since BTAS sort of just jobbed him out from the start.

I didn't mind The Batman though it's definitely my least favourite Batman animated series. The Batman had it really tough following Batman: The Animated Series, Batman of the Future and Justice League.

Tara Strong is back as Barbara Gordon too.

I'd love if they adapted Oracle:Year One to follow even though I know they won't.

Forgot about Tara Strong. Tara voiced Barbara Gordon in Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker right?

Glad to hear Kate Kane's history was kept. Haven't watched the DC Animated films lately. Batman vs. Robin, an Arkham one and Bad Blood, right?

Those and Gods & Monsters are the most recent. Check out Gods & Monsters at the very least as its not based in the New 52 film continuity and is by Timm. Its by far the best movie they've put out in recent years.

I'd love if they adapted Oracle:Year One to follow even though I know they won't.

Forgot about Tara Strong. Tara voiced Barbara Gordon in Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker right?

Correct

Also Gotham Girls, Beware the Batman, Super BFFs, and Teen Titans GO!

She's probably the definitive voice for Babs.

Those and Gods & Monsters are the most recent. Check out Gods & Monsters at the very least as its not based in the New 52 film continuity and is by Timm. Its by far the best movie they've put out in recent years.

Correct

Also Gotham Girls, Beware the Batman, Super BFFs, and Teen Titans GO!

She's probably the definitive voice for Babs.

Cheers to the both of you. IOU likes as I've reached the limit.