DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Man of Action are developing Mega Man for TV. Here's hoping it turns out more Generator Rex and less Avengers Assemble.

On a similar note, I've been dipping my toe into Ultimate spider-Man. I don't love it or anything, but I find it kind of endearing, despite the fact that it has most of the same tics that make me want to beat AvAss with a hammer.  All things considered, though, the principal of the school should really be Fury rather than Coulson.

Coulson is pretty much gone from the show after season 2.

I think if you continue watching Ultimate Spider-Man you will find it rewarding.  Contrary to popular belief, there actually is a lot of character development and ongoing storylines.

I really liked the "New Warriors" stuff on Ultimate Spider-Man -- with Agent Venom, Cho, etc. -- but man was I disappointed with the Spider-Verse episodes. Peter comes out happy after each one, like he did something great, when every single time he let the Villain get exactly what he wants.

"Oh well, one step closer to total annihilation; have fun, pig guy!"

• Like 1

Finishing up Justice League/Justice League United.  Doesn't hold up quite as well as I expected, but close.  Definitely think Young Justice is a cut above JL.  Earth's Mightiest Heroes might be, for me.  Going to rewatch EMH again at some point this summer.  "Both" shows have long stretches I really enjoyed and long stretches I was bored. 

Really liked the two-parter format in JL, as it allowed for more character development, but the writing in season 1 wasn't all that good.  The Green Lantern trial eps were groan-inducing (basically, John Stewart was nearly put to death for wiping out a planet because someone put up a hologram of space debris and told people the planet was destroyed.  Took anyone a really long time to notice.  Really?)

Really liked season 2 of JL.  JLU has the same problems,  The first season has a lot of clunkers and not much character development, then, around episode 14 (season 2), the big arc really kicks in and the show picks up considerably.  JLU has a lot of standalone eps written by comics writers i like (Gail Simone, Warren Ellis, JM DeMatteis scripted several eps).

Never really been a fan of Dwayne McDuffie's comic work, but his scripts on the show were solid, with several being really good.

Overall, a fun show.  Only a couple eps into JLU season 3.  Seems unnecessary, but I'm hoping it'll probably be fun.  I guess they didn't expect JLU to be renewed.  Season two seems intended to wrap up almost every plotline, except maybe the Green Lantern/Hawkgirl relationship.  Think I remember one of the producers saying the last episode was a Batman-centric episode (it's basically a conversation between an elderly Amanda Waller and Terry McGinness) as a way of bringing the animated eps full circle (with B"TAS being the starting point).

And I would completely have dug a Hawkgirl/Solomon Grundy spinoff series.

• 2 weeks later...

Justice League season 2 IMHO is when the show actually got really good.  And yeah, the first season of JLU is a mess.  I didn't care for the JLU format because it did spread all the characters too thin.  Too many characters to really focus on anyone.  But yeah, second season did make improvements.  

I preferred Earth's Mightiest Heroes with its smaller cast.

As a fan of B and C list characters, i think i preferred JLU. I doubt we got a Seven Soldiers of Victory episode or the Barda/Mr Miracle vs Vermann Vunderbarr and Granny Goodness episode with hte original format.

The first season has its problems, but I love all of the Justice League cartoon a good deal on the whole. It and the first 3/4 of AEMH are my favorite comic cartoons and probably what I consider the best.

I really wish that they hadn't said "no continuing subplots" when the staff on EMH changed. Man of Action are capable of making very good stuff (see the first two Ben 10 series and Generator Rex) when they aren't talking down to the audience. Can you imagine if we had gotten the Yellowjacket transformation spread out over 8 eps instead of squeezed into one? It would have been Best Thing Ever territory.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working thru Fox X-Men season 2.

For some reason, I assume that the 90s X-Men series' "Cable vs Bishop" arc is why Robert Kirkman decided to make the Ultimate versions of both chars the same guy at different points in the timeline.

Also, there is no such thing as a "hospital for the blind" in the US.  Just so we're clear.

God help me, I just bought Fox Avengers.  I expect it to make me cry.

Also, why is only the first season of Exo-Squad available on for-pay digital? I get why that's all that's on DVD (because nobody but me bought that first season) but it's infuriating that they took the series off Hulu without giving us an option to give them money.