DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Has anyone seen the new Transformers yet?

I have.  Not crazy about the animation style.  It's a tad jarring.  I'm glad they've sort of continued after the events of Prime, but the tone is similar to that of Transformers Animated.  I will probably check in with it throughout the first season.

Honestly though, I don't see it lasting that long because Cartoon Network hates action shows and The Hub is no more.

Yeah, it's pretty light in tone.  It's a lot closer to Rescue Bots than Prime.  The stakes don't seem high enough to necessitate Optimus Prime's involvement.  It is nice that a Bumblebee is allowed to talk again though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like SOME of the WB shows that vanished from Netflix are back. JL/JLU, Young Justice, and Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc are all back up. Adventure Time, Brave and the Bold and Batman Beyond are still absent, and it looks like Ben 10 and Samurai Jack, which survived the initial purge, have now expired as well.

I wanna know how much Frank Welker is getting paid to finally do con dates, because Texas Comicon is charging Shatner-level prices for the special package that includes an auto and meet and greet, and Botcon is doing a $200 package that requires you to also be a Collector Club member AND buy one of the top two tiers of weekend pass. I wonder how much is Welker asking an obscene fee cause he knows he's worth it, how much is promoters gouging because THEY know he's worth it, and how much is a barrier to entry to avoid overwhelming the notoriously shy Welker.

I remember going to BotCon a couple years back that was in Pasadena and everyone from Transformers Prime was there: Peter Cullen, Steve Blum, Josh Keaton, Kevin Michael Richardson, even Ernie Hudson.  Welker was the only one who wasn't there.  They all did a live script read.

However, for a season 3 premiere event at Universal Studios, Welker did go to that and he did do a Q&A session.

Does it follow "Son of Batman" closely, at all? 

It's basically a mash-up of Court of Owls and the Batman and Robin story where they fight Nobody.  

Watched Batman vs Robin the other night. Pretty good and worth a watch.

Sorry, follow the last film closely or the books? I haven't read the books. It is the Court of Owls story though.

I meant the movie "Son of Batman;" I haven't really followed the books at all lately either.

Watched Batman vs Robin the other night. Pretty good and worth a watch.

Sorry, follow the last film closely or the books? I haven't read the books. It is the Court of Owls story though.
I meant the movie "Son of Batman;" I haven't really followed the books at all lately either.

It's a direct sequel. Since War they've been doing a unified canon for the movies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm fairly caught up on anime and caught up on most network shows I want to see, so I've decided to watch a couple of the better action cartoons.  Definitely going to rewatch Young Justice and Avengers: EMH this summer (still haven't watched the last few eps of both).  Before that, though, I'm going to catch up on a couple shows I've never seen at all (also, have seasons 1-3 of Scandal on order and in the mail, so I wanted to start with something shorter).

Watched Wolverine and the X-Men earlier this week.  Reasonably entertaining, though I kinda feel like it gets overpraised.  For me, anyway, there's a large gap between W&TXM and Young Justice, JLI, EMH, etc.  Thought the visuals were kinda clunky and there's not much character development (or characterization, really).  It's almost all plot.  Did enjoy that there was an overall structure and they juggled several ongoing stories at once.

Watching Spectacular Spider-man.  Tried to watch this a couple years ago and only made it through 13 eps.  Not sure I'll do much better this time out.  Hate the artistic style and writing didn't win me over.  Only a couple eps in this time out, but it's not doing it for me at the moment.

All of Evolution is on Hulu, and ad-free (as the majority of their kids' shows are, though by no means all.)

As I was watching all 3 X-series simultaneously last fall, I found it inexplicably hilarious that while the first 2 shows try really hard to de-sexualize the female characters, you then get to WatX and Domino's character is basically "A pair of boobs with a sympathetic ear for Rogue attached."

Two things.

1) John Stephenson died last Friday at 91. Mr. Slate on the Flintstones, Thundercracker on Transformers, Dr. Doom on the 70s Fantastic Four, Prof. X in "Pryde of the X-Men", and Captain Murphy on the original Sealab 2020 among hundreds of other characters, lots of authority figures, old men and supernatural types. We're now reaching the point where a LOT of the voices I grew up seeing as ubiquitous are dying off, and even though 91 is a hell of a long run it's still a little sad.

2) A friend of mine who is SUPER into Flash and Arrow has been asking for guidance on DC comics and cartoons. I've been having a lot of fun writing up an episode guide covering the absolute musts for Cadmus etc. to make sense, the great eps that don't tie in, and the rest of the line. So far she's only watched the Ra's eps of BTAS, but she really really liked "Showdown."

I was disappointed David Warner did not remember much about his time doing VO work for BTAS and other WB shows (The Lobe).

I asked about working with malcolm mcdowell again in "the old west episode" but he didnt have any recollections.