DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

has there ever been a reason given that the 90s Spidey cartoon has never been released on dvd? I'd love to round out my superhero caroon collection, but there's a gaping spider shaped hole.

If it's the right one I'm thinking of, there have been a few single disc releases - "Return of the Green Goblin;" "Daredevil vs. Spider-Man;" "Ultimate Villain Showdown;" "Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock;" and "the Venom Saga."

Anybody here been watching Rick & Morty on Cartoon Network Adult Swim?  Kind of late to ask this since the 1st season just ended but it is amazing.  Great minds from Community , SCUD The Disposable Assassin , and Moral Oral have made this must watch TV for and they have created one of the best throwaway characters in the form of Abradolf Lincler (A clone of Lincoln and Hitler)

Late response on your kinda late to ask post, but yeah as a huge fan of all things Justin Roiland I watched the whole season. I felt about the first half had way too much of a typical Adult Swim or even Fox animated family sitcom feel, but from the point of Meseeks And Destroy on the family plots improved dramatically. Over the course of the season there were maybe 4 or 5 great episodes, and the finale was one of them for certain. I think it could really hit its stride in season 2, which I'm excited they got picked up for.

So yeah. Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated is the best thing ever. I remember people here praising it a few years back and it's finally on Netflix. My nephew loves him some Scooby and his folks put this on a few weeks ago. We're all fucking hooked. It's just outstanding and funny as hell. We started season two tonight and it was so hard to not keep watching as it was the boy's bedtime. Besides how flat out GOOD the show is, it's got a god damned murderers row of voice actors. I'm over the moon about this show.

• Like 2

The first season of Mystery Incorporated was aces.  Velma is the best TV teenage girl since Daria Morgendorffer. Now that Warner Bros. has gotten with the program and put up Season 2, I'm set.  Just as soon as I rewatch/finish Batman: Brave and the Bold.

They took Fred, the most blank character, and not only make him funny...but also give him a pathos and serious side that fleshes him out and makes him the most interesting member of the gang. I'd like to think Frank Welker read these scripts and said "FINALLY."

It got me thinking about how Scooby Doo is a fucking institution now. These characters have been consistently been around for about 44 years, and continue capturing new fans. Shit, like I said, almost every weekday night for the last three weeks three adults and a three and a half year old have been sitting together loving Scooby Doo.

I just love the idea that the city was a tourist destination because it was so "haunted" and everyone resents the Mayor's kid and his lunatic buddies for debunking everything. I'm always a little amazed that show exists; when I first saw it my question was "what purpose does a semideconstructed Scooby serve? The kids won't give a damn and the adults won't buy the toys." Eventually, I stopped caring and learned to love it for the bonkers ride it is.

I don't know a lot about the culture, but Scooby fans can apparently be die-hard.  Probably just behind comic book fans in a sense.

The premise is timeless:  four kids who, instead of studying, are driving around in an old van, smoking good weed and getting into trouble.  The weed holder has a goofy dog he insists ride shotgun with them.  Simple, but absolutely killer.  Of course, Hanna-Barbera cribbed it from the Dobie Gillis show.  But no matter.  It works.

Didn't see this posted.  Efrem Zimbalist Jr. has died.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/r-i-p-efrem-zimbalist-jr/#comments

R.I.P. Efrem Zimbalist Jr

Efrem-ZimbalistThe star of TV’s The F.B.I. and 77 Sunset Strip had scores of big- and small-screen credits in a career that spanned more than 60 years. Efrem Zimbalist Jr died today at his ranch in Solvang, CA. He was 95.

“We are heartbroken to announce the passing into peace of our beloved father,” his family said in a statement. “A devout Christian, he actively enjoyed his life to the last day, showering love on his extended family, playing golf, and visiting with close friends. We will miss him dearly.”

He also was the embodiment of cool. He had numerous roles before and after, but Zimbalist is best remembered for the ABC dramas 77 Sunset Strip, which ran from 1958-64, and The F.B.I., which spanned 1965-74. On the latter he played Inspector Lewis Erskine, the Bureau’s calm but persistent agent who always ez77got his man. He toplined Sunset Strip as Stuart Bailey, a judo-chopping private eye whose work took him to some of the planet’s most glamorous spots. The New York native started his career on the stage after World War II, in which he earned a Purple Heart with the Army.

He had supporting roles in a number of Broadway shows before he started to land TV work in the mid-’50s. The exposure led Zimbalist to roles in a handful of films during through the late ’50s, along with a recurring gig as a suave con man on Maverick with James Garner and Jack Kelly. During his nearly uninterrupted ensuing run as one of ABC’s leading men, he starred in such feature films as The Chapman Report and Harlow and played the husband of a blind woman (Audrey Hepburn) tormented by thugs in her apartment in Wait Until Dark.After The F.B.I. ended its nine-year run in 1974, Zimbalist starring in Airport ’75 before focusing on TV for the rest of his career.

He co-starred in the 1980 miniseries Scruples, played a senator on The Love Boat and recurred on Remington Steele, which starred his daughter, Stephanie Zimbalist, and Pierce Brosnan. He later did arcs on the dramas Hotel and Zorro.

By the early ’90s his career had taken a turn: In his mid-70s, Zimbalist began doing voice work, ranging from Alfred in Batman: The Animated Series to Iron Man and Spider-Man. He reprised his role as Alfred the butler in The New Batman Adventures and episodes of Superman and Justice League.

has there ever been a reason given that the 90s Spidey cartoon has never been released on dvd? I'd love to round out my superhero caroon collection, but there's a gaping spider shaped hole.

If it's the right one I'm thinking of, there have been a few single disc releases - "Return of the Green Goblin;" "Daredevil vs. Spider-Man;" "Ultimate Villain Showdown;" "Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock;" and "the Venom Saga."

that is indeed the one, but always enjoyed the season-long storylines that will never cut it on a single disc highlight deal.

Ok, we just finished Mystery Incorporated and I'm not kidding when I say it's one of the best shows ever done. Put aside all the meta jokes and crazy references, by the end I was on the edge of my seat and the whole family was cheering. It was so, so great. And it's a total validation of this amazing franchise that generations have grown up with.

My favorite bit might be when the robots attacked the gang at Fred's house and he looks at them with a smile and says, "You picked the wrong house." and unleashes all his traps. I fucking fist pumped and cheered.