DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Been watching Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated for the last week and so far I love it. Its interesting to see the series actually build things up over time and some of the direction they go like Fred's parentage. I'm also digging the cameos of various characters important to Scooby Doo in the past or from Hanna Barbera in general. Even Scrappy and Flim Flam got cameos though not exactly anything positive. Finished up the first season last night and am looking forward to the next one.

Yeah, the 12 year old is a LITTLE old for it now but just a little (And likewise, too young to appreciate it on the other level) but he'll watch any damn cartoon you put on for him, so we saw the first four episodes of season 2 today. It's one of the best cartoons of its kind ever. 

Finished up Mystery Incorporated last night. not sure how I feel about that ending. It feels like it invalidated the journey gone through during the show a bit. At the same time it also pretty much confirmed people were legit dying/being murdered which made this a way darker show than I thought it would end up being. I do like how the ending sets them to be traveling the country like the older shows and films. It was a pretty good show all in all. Wish there was more.

• 4 weeks later...

On closer examination, that article was 3 years old and came out when TFP first started. Oh well.

Just saw that Bob Hastings died.  I remembered him as the voice of Commissioner Gordon, hadn't realized he was the first TV voice of Superboy in the 60s, and the first-ever Archie Andrews on the radio in the 40s. He was 89, which is a good long life; RIP.

1) I KNOW THAT VOICE is now on Amazon Prime streaming. For the unfamiliar, it's a documentary about voiceover actors and has basically everyone save Welker you could want to hear from (including previously-unreleased archival footage of Mel Blanc, IIRC.)

2) Avengers Assemble is on Netflix now, but I think I can resist watching it based on its reputation among grown-up fans.

I've been watching the old G1 Transformers cartoons on Hub and I really think the movie was a miracle. Everytime I go back and watch the show I'm blown away at how bad a lot of it is, there's some great episodes but a lot more are awful. A lot of episodes have crappy animation, mediocre plots, and latter episodes have awful voice acting. The quality of every aspect of the movie is so far above the cartoon series it's amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

korra is going web only after the S3 premiere.

Its already 7-8 episodes in. I was pretty damn pissed when they announced it was being pulled from tv. At least it will be shown and S4 will seemingly be finished.

• 5 weeks later...

So anyone here watch Legend of Korra? I just finished the Book 3 finale which I found to be pretty fantastic though a bit on the darker side of things. This season on the whole was easily the best season of Korra yet. The episodes were consistently good, and it felt like they fixed a lot of the of the problems from previous seasons with them leaving the romance behind and doing a better job of presenting Team Avatar as an actual group of friends. I'm really looking forward to what comes next.

Also, anyone keeping up with Beware the Batman?  Adult Swim picked started airing it back in the spring.  They re-aired the eps already shown on Cartoon Network then hit the unaired material about 5 weeks ago.  Having not watched it for most of a year, I find the computer animation jarring.  Not really liking the character models and the fight scenes seem a bit stiff.  Writing has been solid, though.  The Ra's Al Ghul 3-parter was great fun (aside from the last five minutes, which didn't do it for me), and the Magpie ep was good.  They're starting to set up an overarching storyline that will carry through the last 10 eps involving Harvey Dent.

I guess, if the show had been picked up, the show would have transitioned to Batman and the Outsiders?  Not sure how interested I would have stayed in that.

Donald Glover is going to play Miles Morales in USM Season 3. I'm hot and cold, more cold, on the show as a whole, but I like that they're doing a version of Spider-Verse at the same time as the comics, I love that casting, and I love the ridiculously "shiny" 90s Mainframe-style-CGI Spidey 2099 they've shown off.

Frank Welker talked to the press?

Go home and hug your family, guys. The end of the world is here.

Not a big deal.  I interviewed him a while back for Transformers Prime as well.

Also that interview was from December 2011 it looks like.