DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Prolly. But I don't get the point in trying to argue logic in pro wrestling. The logic has always been baffling if you really think about it.Unless you are wrestling a bear. Then everyone is happy.

If only a wrestling bear could do a missile dropkick...*sigh*
Idk. I am more inclined to the visual to a bunch of jobbers trying to swim up stream only to be Polish hammered to death

I was watching the new Botchamania and it hit me that I miss the old "Walking down the hallway to the curtain" shot they did until WM 14 (I think? last I recall was Shawn/Austin)  It adds a weight to the entrances that seem missing nowadays.

• Like 2

I actually think the super serious respect stuff might work in the WWE right now. Nobody is doing the prowres is serious business gimmick right now. At the very least Davey/Eddie would make a good foil for a team like the Matadors.

Also what's up with Evan Bourne? Seems like this has been asked about every 3 months. Does he have some serious issues? On the indies he never gave me the vibe of a troubled guy.

I was watching the new Botchamania and it hit me that I miss the old "Walking down the hallway to the curtain" shot they did until WM 14 (I think? last I recall was Shawn/Austin)  It adds a weight to the entrances that seem missing nowadays.

I swear they were doing it for PPV main events in late 98/early 99 as well.

As has already been pointed out Austin was never portrayed as a heroic do gooder the way Hogan was. He was an anti-hero, he was a guy who's whole motto was Don't Trust Anyone and was the "Rattlesnake" he was a loner who fought the fight of the working class.

Another way to look at it is that Hogan was portrayed to be a Superman type character and Austin was more of a Wolverine/Punisher type. Superman is the guy who does the right thing all the time while Wolverine does what needs to be done. Hogan and Austin are two different types of characters. 80's Hogan is more comparable to Sting or Cena, now I have problems with both of them too but Sting was a guy who usually did the right thing, he usually suffered some consequences for it but that's part of being the hero. Cena is sometimes portrayed as a guy who does the right thing but they've booked him in overcoming the odds scenarios so much that it has almost become comedic, can this multiple time world champion and biggest star in wrestling in the past ten years finally win the big one, it's become a joke, plus he's kind of a dick most of the time. I think all the reasons I don't like Cena are his similarities to Hogan but Cena is a better wrestler so I tolerate him a little more but coked-up Hogan was a way better promo he didn't have to throw out lame poop jokes he just had sheer insanity.

I actually think the super serious respect stuff might work in the WWE right now. Nobody is doing the prowres is serious business gimmick right now. At the very least Davey/Eddie would make a good foil for a team like the Matadors.

We;re all just waiting for Davey Richards to take moves from El Torito, right?

• Like 1

What he did to Sid at Rumble '92 was out of line, man. Is that sportsmanship becoming of a hero?

Also, Hogan was TOTALLY macking on Savage's woman. 

I thought so when I was five, and I still think so now. He was way out of line. 

If Hulk wanted Liz, he would have taken her. Now Bill Apter put across the theory that Hogan was using Liz to provoke Savage into attacking him. So when Hogan took his title back, he could claim self defense. 

Even worse if Apter was right, then! I could forgive Hogan for having a lapse in moral judgment because he was mesmerized by Miss Elizabeth's wholesome beauty.

However, driving a wedge between a couple just to make it look like he isn't the aggressor and so that he can get a shot at the belt? For shame if that is true! This sounds like the type of thing that a man who showed poor sportsmanship at the end of the 1992 Royal Rumble and that joined the Outsiders to rip apart WCW would do, however. 

You would think that Hogan would at least just ask Savage for a shot at the belt straight up since they were friends, but then again, we see how he reacted when Andre the Giant did the same thing to him. Shameful.

• Like 3

Well him getting gored in the ass is the obvious payoff.

As has already been pointed out Austin was never portrayed as a heroic do gooder the way Hogan was. He was an anti-hero, he was a guy who's whole motto was Don't Trust Anyone and was the "Rattlesnake" he was a loner who fought the fight of the working class.

Another way to look at it is that Hogan was portrayed to be a Superman type character and Austin was more of a Wolverine/Punisher type. Superman is the guy who does the right thing all the time while Wolverine does what needs to be done. Hogan and Austin are two different types of characters. 80's Hogan is more comparable to Sting or Cena, now I have problems with both of them too but Sting was a guy who usually did the right thing, he usually suffered some consequences for it but that's part of being the hero. Cena is sometimes portrayed as a guy who does the right thing but they've booked him in overcoming the odds scenarios so much that it has almost become comedic, can this multiple time world champion and biggest star in wrestling in the past ten years finally win the big one, it's become a joke, plus he's kind of a dick most of the time. I think all the reasons I don't like Cena are his similarities to Hogan but Cena is a better wrestler so I tolerate him a little more but coked-up Hogan was a way better promo he didn't have to throw out lame poop jokes he just had sheer insanity.

I'm curious what part of "fighting for the working class" involved "stunnering" other faces, i.e. fellow members of the working class.  And there was the whole "stunnering" of Stacy Keibler that I just ... just can't forgive, man ...

How many of you Hogan hating punk bitches cheered for Austin?

I loved Hogan as a kid, and pretty much hated Austin in his big WWF run. I still love watching 80's Hogan, but you can't ignore obvious stuff.
How could any wrestling fan hate Austin during that run??

I came into wrestling as a kid and was never INTO Hulk Hogan (Though I did, and still do, think his WWE themes were BOSS) because I felt like he cheated way too much for a good guy.  Of course, my favourites were Ultimate Warrior (a huge guy who had awesome music, runs around like a nutcase, how could you not?!), Jake the Snake (Based almost entirely on the DDT) and the Blue Blazer (After I went back and watched WM V).

By the time Austin was around, I wasn't a kid anymore and loved a bad dude who got cheered for being a badass.  I started to get sick of him around 1999/2000 when JR talked about seemingly nothing else all show long.

I just hope he can convince Trips to hire Tony Kozina, so Torito will have another mini to work with.

• Like 1

How many of you Hogan hating punk bitches cheered for Austin?

I loved Hogan as a kid, and pretty much hated Austin in his big WWF run. I still love watching 80's Hogan, but you can't ignore obvious stuff.
How could any wrestling fan hate Austin during that run??

If that fan is Canadian?

As a fan who was 13-17 during Austin's biggest run, I enjoyed his work, and really got a laugh out of his antics (spraying beer @ vince, driving zamboni into arena, et al.), I never connected with him like I did Rock, Foley, or face HHH. Those guys, while all unique, tended to have each other's back against evil Vince and his minions. I never understood why Austin would stun guys who were trying to help him. Even with the DTA stuff he'd preach constantly, I never understood why he'd rather get his ass whipped alone than ask Foley or Rock or Taker for help.