Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/18/2020


Recommended Posts

On Kenny, the customized-weekly, obnoxious "read em off, Justin!" intro bit is so good that I can't believe no one's ever done that before (that I can think of). 

He can't really back up the character on the stick, but then again a lot of legit elite-level athletes with similar presentations and cocky physical charisma aren't good talkers. Mayweather is an example.

Edited by For Great Justice
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Not sure if serious? lol

A cleaner is a hitman. When people say go full cleaner they want him to go back to his full on heel gimmick when he was the hitman for the Bullet Club. Dark shades, leather jackets, jet black dyed hair (that part isnt gonna happen), more serious and shit. He's kinda been this aww shucks silly babyface in AEW. Still presented as a threat in the ring obviously, but people want his more focused New Japan presentation.

See when I think about The Cleaner the name divorced from Kenny entirely, that's what I get mentally.  That or The Fox from Pulp Fuction.  When I think of Kenny as the Cleaner, this is what I remember...

IckyWhiteGoosefish-size_restricted.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I recorded some of a replay purely to check out the women's match after seeing it spoken so highly of here, and that was the first damn thing I heard when I got to said match. Is this a norm for JR?

The short answer is yes.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the criticism the AEW women's division gets, I think Thunder Rosa vs. Serena Deeb was the match of the night. What is the deal with Thunder Rosa? Is she signed anywhere? Can AEW sign her her to a contract, or is she not looking to sign with anyone right now? Either way, great match. That said, I don't get why Britt Baker and Rebel stayed in the crowd after they attacked Thunder Rosa. They should've skipped town.

Bucks and Top Flight had a fine hot opener. 

A lot of post-match beat downs and brawls this week. I realize you have to set up and further angles for everyone, but it was kind of noticeable that every match resulted in some sort of post-match brawl or pull apart. 

Cody didn't seem all too concerned that someone tried to break his wife's arm last night. Did the announcers even bring that up? That maybe Cody could be a little distracted because Jade Cargill just smashed his wife's arm? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rosa is under contract with NWA through 2021.  I think she would clearly *like* to be somewhere else, but she’s probably Billy’s biggest star, full stop, right now, so they’re not inclined to let her go.  Anyone seeking to sign her now would have to buy her contract out.

Seems like letting her work AEW, too, is a compromise.

Edited by EVA
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I think they also skipped a step getting to that match. 

I think that’s a justified criticism of AEW lower card booking in general. Every so often they will do something that feels like it’s skipped a beat.

Nearly everything Brandy has been involved in, the Bunny / QT angle, early Dark Order stuff, it all just felt a beat off.  I’m sure there’s other stuff I’m forgetting.

It’s quite odd because generally their top guy booking is on point

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, EVA said:

Rosa is under contract with NWA through 2021.  I think she would clearly *like* to be somewhere else, but she’s probably Billy’s biggest star, full stop, right now, so they’re not inclined to let her go.  Anyone seeking to sign her now would have to buy her contract out.

Seems like letting her work AEW, too, is a compromise.

The Khans can probably afford her price tag, but I don't think that Corgan would feel obliged to sell the option.

Besides, it feels like NWA and AEW have a mutually beneficial relationship.  Rosa and Deeb are able to wave the NWA banner high on AEW and AEW has reaped the ratings windfall so much that AEW is continuing to use NWA / UWN promising prospects like Platinum Max Caster, Brandon Cutler, (CW from Hollywood) and Peter Avalon (CW from Arizona) on Dark. 

No sense in making things adversarial.  

… and well…..  maybe Brandon Cutler is a bad example since he was trained by the Bucks.

AEW needs to take the lessons learned from the goodwill it has with Corgan and try using that to mend its fences with NJPW and AAA.

18 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Nearly everything Brandy has been involved in, the Bunny / QT angle, early Dark Order stuff, it all just felt a beat off.  I’m sure there’s other stuff I’m forgetting.

I read Dark Order as Dank Odor.  

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrestling companies that are essentially out of business but somehow holding contracts over people is some absolute Lucha Underground level, restaurant quality bullshit.  It's disgusting that Corgan can say, "we haven't had a show in months but we're not out of business until I say we are so you're still under contract."

I know the legal system in this country is fucked, and you can go broke even fighting a case where you're in the right, but these wrestlers seriously need to start fighting for themselves.  Pay a few bucks and have a lawyer read your contract at the very least.  Jeez.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I didn't think it might be FTR that took out Mox. That would really give some credence to the theory that Omega is forming a Horsemen esq stable with them and Tully...and I guess Shawn Spears. I like Spears, but he really would be a Paul Roma in that group.

The theory that Hangman did it to win back favor with Omega is a good one too. Kenny being fully Cleaner Kenny and Hangman at first being reluctant to be this heel that he used to be would be fun stuff.

See, Hangman was my first thought too. Purely because he's been conspicuous by his absence since Full Gear. 

I love Butchers look so much, I don't care if he gets blown up 5 minutes in, the dude just draws the eye. From the neck down Blade looked very Rollins-esque in the long pleather. 

Top Flight looked a lot more hurty and less silly in one night than Private Party have managed in over a year. Good stuff from them, very promising. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking the potential break out face of the company and turning him heel would not be a good idea. Based on how they've handled Page thus far, it wouldn't be impossible.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Goodear said:

See when I think about The Cleaner the name divorced from Kenny entirely, that's what I get mentally.  That or The Fox from Pulp Fuction.  When I think of Kenny as the Cleaner, this is what I remember...

IckyWhiteGoosefish-size_restricted.gif

Harvey Keitel was The Wolf, Winston Wolf.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For as much as I’m here for Team Taz, I gotta wonder if they left some money on the table with babyface Hobbs. He really seems to have that physical charisma and size to look good walking tall on heels, and what babyface big guys are left?

Dustin, Luchasaurus 

vs

Cage, Archer, Lee, Butcher, Wardlow, Hager now Hobbs 

I dunno. A Cage and Hobbs team potentially RULES, but there was some breakout good guy equity on the table I think 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fairly upset about that Hobbs turn. They spent all this time building him up as a SUPER sympathetic character by giving us the whole backstory about how he's doing all of this for his brother, and then just turning him for....why?

If Archer didn't have that COVID scare, would this turn have occurred? Remember, Hobbs got that super huge push by Moxley and was going to be in that six-man tag. If that match doesn't get canceled and the match goes on as planned, does this turn still occur? I don't think so.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm fairly upset about that Hobbs turn. They spent all this time building him up as a SUPER sympathetic character by giving us the whole backstory about how he's doing all of this for his brother, and then just turning him for....why?

If Archer didn't have that COVID scare, would this turn have occurred? Remember, Hobbs got that super huge push by Moxley and was going to be in that six-man tag. If that match doesn't get canceled and the match goes on as planned, does this turn still occur? I don't think so.

Right, totally. I mean Moxley cutting a promo basically saying “I don’t have a lot of friends, but Darby and Will Hobbs are my friends” is a MASSIVE way to put a dude over. Compare this with being the second big man in a three person stable where Starks is going to do all of the talking. 

Like, I love The Barbarian, but being John Moxley’s Tugboat is a way more upwardly mobile spot than being The Barbarian 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

By the way- 

Was that Hornswaggle making a cameo as The Baby?

I thought it was, that image of him sitting in the diaper was stuff of nightmares. Horrifying!

Edited by Ultimo Necro
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

By the way- 

Was that Hornswaggle making a cameo as The Baby?

 

2 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I thought it was, that image of him sitting in the diaper was stuff of nightmares. Horrifying!

It sure was. I'm glad they've continued the tradition of "When in doubt...use Hornswaggle".

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

For all the criticism the AEW women's division gets, I think Thunder Rosa vs. Serena Deeb was the match of the night. What is the deal with Thunder Rosa? Is she signed anywhere? Can AEW sign her her to a contract, or is she not looking to sign with anyone right now? Either way, great match. That said, I don't get why Britt Baker and Rebel stayed in the crowd after they attacked Thunder Rosa. They should've skipped town.

Bucks and Top Flight had a fine hot opener. 

A lot of post-match beat downs and brawls this week. I realize you have to set up and further angles for everyone, but it was kind of noticeable that every match resulted in some sort of post-match brawl or pull apart. 

Cody didn't seem all too concerned that someone tried to break his wife's arm last night. Did the announcers even bring that up? That maybe Cody could be a little distracted because Jade Cargill just smashed his wife's arm? 

AEW has sure done a great job of elevating the NWA Women’s title. I think it’s been featured on Dynamite more than the AEW women’s title and the matches for it have definitely been better.

Which is good for the viewer but I don’t think speaks too well of the Women’s division or AEW Women’s title. Serena is good too but I think Thunder Rosa has been the best woman in ring for them so far, and as you said she’s still under contract to another company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...