DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

23 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Bret has said that Sweet Daddy Siki was one of his early inspirations. SDS would come through the Stampede territory and Bret was a huge fan of his gimmick when he was a kid.

Sweet Daddy Siki is not Serpentico. David Arquette is Serpentico.

Spoiler

He's actually Jon Cruz. Here is Chaos Project facing each other before they became friends:

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I could see Roman v Jey pt 2 making sense from the angle of Roman wanting to run it back. Jey never submitted to Roman. He never called him the Tribal Chief tm

Roman is gonna give him 'another shot' because he wants to break Jey, not physically, mentally.

I think it will be Daniel Bryan vs Roman. 

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Reminds me of when the masked luchadors appeared on WCW TV without their masks, most notably La Parka AKA LA Park.

Wait when did this happen?

Villano IV showed up as Ray Mendoza Jr., which is funny because V is actually Ray Mendoza Jr. 

43 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Villano IV showed up as Ray Mendoza Jr., which is funny because V is actually Ray Mendoza Jr. 

He never wrestled without it. It’s during a Giant goes out of control, and chokeslams everybody segment. He runs out as a security guard with ugly mullet sans mask. 

9:10 of this video. Long black haired mullet. I believe Psychosis follows not too far behind in the shorts.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Apparently Shawn Michaels was on twitter during takeover, and blocked literally everyone who posted anything negative or critical. But a lot of people who's relationship to WWE is one of blind devotion and adoration did say they weren't happy with Velveteen being on the show. And now their number one hero blocked them. Meanwhile I can tweet as many offensive things about the baldness denying prima donna and nothing happens.

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He also wrestled in his IV costume without his mask as jobber Tony Pena in WCW.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ka-to said:

He also wrestled in his IV costume without his mask as jobber Tony Pena in WCW.

Maybe his mask didn't make it through customs, but his signature trunks and boots did. 

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe his mask didn't make it through customs, but his signature trunks and boots did. 

I think the story was they billed him as "Tony Pena" as a dig at Antonio Pena so Regal could squash him, only Regal immediately realized IV could go so he gave him a bunch of offense and they had a competitive match.

46 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Am I right in remembering one of the Villanos had like a very very gruesome neck injury on WCW TV?

Yeah, Raven accidently almost murdered one of em in a tag match with Kanyon. 

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think the story was they billed him as "Tony Pena" as a dig at Antonio Pena so Regal could squash him, only Regal immediately realized IV could go so he gave him a bunch of offense and they had a competitive match.

I didn't actually see the Tony Pena match, but I did see the Ray Mendoza Jr. one. That one was hilarious because Schiavone and Larry tried to bill him as a newcomer. This 45 year old looking guy with gig marks on his chin...a newcomer to the sport. Not only is he a newcomer, but he stole Villano IV's trunks and boots.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

I seen clips from the 'For the Culture' GCW show and I'm trying to figure out why JTG isn't on anyone's TV right now. Yes he's fucking yoked but he's just as athletic as he was when he was half that size. And 2 Cold Scorpio is still flipping around like he was 25 years ago. AEW is very good at putting legends in good spots, I think he's be great on their roster and he can work matches from time to time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

AEW is very good at putting legends in good spots, I think he's be great on their roster and he can work matches from time to time.

“2 Cold Scropios”?

As for why? He had a tryout around the late 2000’s, and I remember people talking about it like it was a guarantee he’d be back in McMahon land, but it fell apart between both sides somewhere.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I would LOVE to see Scorpio... anywhere, really. 

Making a dig at Tony Pena while they're using his talent is very WCW of them. 

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Didn’t the Tijuana crew depart from AAA at that time, and that’s why they took a dig at Pena?

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I dunno but with WCW's schedule I don't see how they could be working both companies at the same time unless there was some kind of seasonal rotation or something.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Most of them were working for wcw and taking indy dates. And later working for promo Azteca 

The Pena dig might have been during the phase when the AAA guys where non exclusive to WCW, and Konnan was acting as a wrangler/intermediary for those guys. Then, he took them to Promo Azteca running in opposition to Pena (and CMLL).

Listening to some of the old WHW and 83 Weeks, there was seemingly always ongoing conflict between Bischoff, Konnan, and how to handle those guys from working shows the same day as major WCW events to taking masks off guys.