DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I know I had heard of Two Days, One Night before but man, after watching the trailer and reading the tiniest bit about it I am I MUST WATCHING THIS MOVIE IMMEDIATELY!!!! mode

Looks like I am headed to the library tomorrow

I ended up watching it for the mid-decade poll. It's a good movie. I can't remember if I rated it or not. I'm embarassed to say it's the only Dardennes film I've ever seen.

Awwww man, I've been pretty chill about the ones on my list to fall so far, because they seemed pretty understandable...but damn, Two Days, One Night is fucking incredible. That one stings. I should have participated more in the shill phase of this project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

It’s REAL bad, Rippa.

I’d love to hear from some of the voters who liked it, though.

I didn't like it much, it's probably way down my list, but since I only had 52 movies to rank it's in there. I was annoyed as fuck by Bendydick Cucumberpatch's presence.

Spoiler

riseapes

181) RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2011)

Director: Rupert Wyatt

151 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#27) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, The Z, Hobo Joe

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%/77%) : METACRITIC (68/7.8)

In the half decade poll - @The Natural wrote

I forgot to vote for Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Fuck.

Natural didn't vote for it now either.

• Haha 5

Spoiler

jiro_dreams_of_sushi_ver2

180) JIRO DREAMS OF SUSHI (2011)

Director: David Gelb

151 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Broken Lamp (#36) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood, Execproducer

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (99%/92%) : METACRITIC (77/7.9)

@MADCAP wrote

Watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi yesterday.  I can't state how much I loved this movie.  The mans' pursuit of perfection is so engaging that I couldn't take my eyes off of it.  I respect the discipline that he has and it was good to see on the surface at least, that his sons didn't have an adverse reaction to his strictness.  Even though the movie doesn't really delve into his past(the most I think he really told us was that his father put him out of the house at age nine to fend for himself), I didn't even really think about that until after the movie was over.  Highly recommended.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2660-the-documentary-thread/&do=findComment&comment=297335

• Like 1

Didn't realize it until I was posting that that is three straight 2011 movies which is the first time a year has had three in a row.

I don't think that will be the last time

Spoiler
paddington

178) PADDINGTON (2014)

Director: Paul King

151 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/80%) : METACRITIC (77/7.9)

@caley wrote

I loved 'Paddington'.  It had all these wonderful little visual flourishes, too, like the tree painted on the wall in the family's house that blooms when everyone is happy, and loses leaves when things are sad.

And it's got Peter Capaldi in it, so...

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4906-movie-april-2016-discussion-thread/&do=findComment&comment=517219

5 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Sorry to keep doing this, but I didn’t vote for Jiro either.

Yup - it was Broken Lamp.

Same thing as before as the columns are right next to each other and I am doing this in the dark since everyone else is asleep and the Yanks are in the middle of playing another 85 hour game

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Rippa propping up these animated movies. Breaking my heart.

Now just imagine all the ones I voted for that AREN'T making the countdown

Jiro's on Kanopy! Giant fist pump here. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Re: 20 Feet From Stardom, anything giving voice to the lesser known voices behind the best moments of so many hits is hard to be against. That movie is dense with decades of pop-culture. Loved it. Thanks to the couple of people who put it on the board. 

Edit: Hara-Kiri is also on Kanopy. More omissions soon to be rectified, @Execproducer.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 8:05 PM, RIPPA said:

Natural not voting for Lego Batman might be my biggest surprise of this entire thing

Yeah, I fucked up there. Glad I was able to surprise you.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:25 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

s-l640

213) FURIOUS 7 (2015)

Director: James Wan

128 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#24) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%/82%) : METACRITIC (67/6.8)

Discussion about this movie starts on Page 4

On 10/2/2020 at 12:29 AM, Andy in Kansas said:

c845e39dc385b48e924f4e279b3cc5ea.gif

Cheers, @Andy in Kansas.

On 10/2/2020 at 2:03 AM, RIPPA said:

I can't speak for the people who voted for it - but I have a feeling that it was the Paul Walker's final one bit that put it over the top

My first Fast and the Furious movie. Furious (2015) i's so OTT with Rock's character actually using a Rock Bottom to put a character through a glass table which caused knowing laughter including my own, Paul Walker's character running up a bus like the fucking reverse treadmill from Gladiators and Paul's posthumous sendoff.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:45 PM, RIPPA said:

203) CREED (2015)

Director: Ryan Coogler

138 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#27) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%/89%) : METACRITIC (82/8.1)

@Reed wrote

I had one of my worst cinema going experiences because reprobates were behaving badly. Wanted to punch them. Fitting considering the movie. Will have a non interrupted viewing of Creed (2015). Sylvester Stallone should've won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

contagion-movie-poster-2011-1020710000

195) CONTAGION (2011)

Director: Steven Soderbergh

142 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#28) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/63%) : METACRITIC (70/7.0)

There's times you watch a movie and say it's not real to reality. You don't have that get out clause here. The similarities to what we're all experiencing right now in 2020 is eerie. Contagion (2011) is the scariest non horror movie going.

Edited by The Natural

On 10/4/2020 at 8:51 PM, RIPPA said:

194) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION (2015)

Director: Christopher McQuarrie

142 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#29) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%/87%) : METACRITIC (75/7.9)

My first Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015). I right enjoyed it despite not seeing the first four films. I have since then so I've understood/liked this one more. Rebecca Ferguson makes a memorable debut here. Will say I felt it went a tad too twisty. I expect the other two Mission: Impossible movies from the eligible 2010s decade to make it.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

toy_story_4

190) TOY STORY 4 (2019)

Director: Josh Cooley

144 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#52) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, The Z, Sublime

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/94%) : METACRITIC (84/8.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - This is how the TS4 discussion on this board goes. A grand total of 2 posts in the Pixar thread. One person liked it. One person didn't. Multiple people said it made them cry. 90% over whether or it not it is boning people's ballots in the 2019 Blockbuster Thread.

I'm in the minority here. I thought Toy Story 4 (2019) was a disappointment, opening 30 minutes dragged to me. Toy Story 3 (2010) was the perfect one to go out on and I'll remember it as that. I am genuinely glad for those voters who enjoyed Toy Story 4.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

book_of_life

186) THE BOOK OF LIFE (2014)

Director: Jorge R. Gutierrez

145 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#16) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%/77%) : METACRITIC (67/7.3)

NOTE FROM RIPPA

I wrote this when Coco was coming out

My stance on Coco has softened but I should have had a set and voted Book of Life higher.

I looked for The Book of Life (2014) knowing how you felt about Coco (2017) but I wasn't able to find it.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

it

182) IT (2017)

Director: Andy Muschietti

149 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/84%) : METACRITIC (69/7.8)

It (2017) needed 10-15 minutes trimming from it's run time but I enjoyed the movie for the performances by the young kids and Bill Skarsgård as the titular It. Large clown shoes to fill following Tim Curry's memorable turn in the role.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

riseapes

151 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#27) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, The Z, Hobo Joe

LOL. Some things never change!

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

rango

179) RANGO (2011)

Director: Gore Verbinski

151 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood, RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%/69%) : METACRITIC (75/7.7)

Rango (2011) is an animated Western movie. There's a memorable set piece with the score used for it and I marked out for a cameo, The Spirit of the West as a big fan of that actor. I thought it was him voicing the character at first. The film deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. Surprised caley didn't vote for it as I thought it was one of his favourites.

Edited by The Natural

Toy Story 4 is a very imperfect movie but I enjoy a lot of it (I have strong feelings about the end though cause it was so out of character for Woody) and Ducky and Bunny should be the future of the franchise. They are the heroes we need in these times.

I regret some how forgetting about documentaries when I was putting my list together cause I would have been a vote for Jiro if I had not forgotten an entire genre of film. 

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

riseapes

I went into this expecting a bunch of nothing (I had a crush on McAvoy for a minute or two) and instead got a REALLY good look at end of life issues (his dad), wild animals as pets, and how corporate fuck ups cascade. I have not seen the rest of them, unfortunately.