DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I should note - to go back to some discussion from the previous pages - that we are in the area that I have started calling (to myself) the "the Hope Spot" section.

I wouldn't immediately rule out anything - especially if you look at some of the recent reveals

There are still like 7 movies to drop that only received 2 votes. After we clear the 2 vote movies, then maybe start to despair.

God the 10 I am hoping to post today are all over the fucking place.

Buckle up

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Didn’t find it long or boring but then I like slow moving crime stories like The Godfather.

I still liked it, for those very reasons... but it was still suffering from those reasons as well. It also kind of fizzled at the end and felt like much ado about nothing. 

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I should note - to go back to some discussion from the previous pages - that we are in the area that I have started calling (to myself) the "the Hope Spot" section.

I wouldn't immediately rule out anything - especially if you look at some of the recent reveals

There are still like 7 movies to drop that only received 2 votes. After we clear the 2 vote movies, then maybe start to despair.

God the 10 I am hoping to post today are all over the fucking place.

Buckle up

C'mon certain zombie movie! You can do it, kid! Make yourself famous!

I am really excited to eventually watch Shoplifters. It’s a buddy of mine’s favorite and we were gonna watch it together. Maybe we should work something out where we’re on the phone while watching and play it at the same time 

Okay I need to explain.

Yes - Batman: The Dark Knight is technically two movies. Both voters submitted ballots where it was listed as one. I originally asked each to submit corrected ballots but editing both ballots ended up being a detriment to both this AND all the other movies they voted for.

So I decided it to include it all as one because you can find a version where it is all released together.

• Like 1

Spoiler
edge_of_tomorrow

156) EDGE OF TOMORROW (2014)

Director: Doug Liman

170 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#19) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Control, The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/90%) : METACRITIC (71/8.7)

My review from when I watched it which also pretty much sums up what the board discussion centered on

Watched Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat (which I really really enjoyed)

I don't know which I am more frustrated by: People saying it wasn't a success because it "only" made $100 million domestically (it made $269 worldwide) or the fucking name change for the DVD release because people are stupid or something.

Also - are there people who are still all "I won't see a Tom Cruise movie because he is bat shit insane"?

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3504-april-2015-movie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=357207

WTF I left Edge of Tomorrow off my ballot???!

Gross oversight on my part, especially since it came out in 2014, which I’ve long considered the GOAT year for big-budget genre films when you look at everything that came out that year.

Spoiler
train-to-busan

153) TRAIN TO BUSAN (Busanhaeng) (2016)

Director: Sang-ho Yeon

174 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#34) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, Broken Lamp

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/88%) : METACRITIC (72/7.9)

@turk128 wrote

Finally got down to watching Train to Busan like everyone recommended me to... I was really hesitated in how they could hold the premise for the 2 hour run time. Totally worth the watch, thou.

The biggest surprise was how believable  everything was: from how they handled the zombies to various reactions from  people who's  lizard brain took over. I'm looking forward to the sequel, hopefully they do better than 28 Weeks Later.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6678-2018-horror-movie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=734790

I can say with 99.9% certainty that Train to Busan will be the movie hurt most by ballots I expected not coming in.

I know of at least 3 votes it didn't get.

Spoiler
coherence

151) COHERENCE (2013)

Director: James Ward Byrkit

176 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#24) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Broken Lamp, The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%/81%) : METACRITIC (65/8.0)

@S.K.o.S.wrote

Saw Coherence on the weekend, spoiler-free (all I knew was "a bunch of people are at a dinner party, a comet goes by, and weird stuff starts happening"), in a theatre in a city I'd never been in before, with a start time of 10 pm Pacific when I was still kind of running on Eastern time, and a little buzzed.  That was just about the perfect way to watch it.

If you like Primer, or sci-fi in general, or xkcd, you pretty much need to see that movie.  I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about it.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1245-2014-movie-omnibus-thread/&do=findComment&comment=236509

Man, both Hard To Be A God and Coherence look so much up my alley, I am so out of the loop on movies. Working hard on a project at the moment, but should have most of December free, going to spend it binging movies and grinding Cyberpunk I think.