DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well of course it was immediately balanced out by Silence dropping since I know you don't like that movie

I can understand why some people would like it. I am not one of them and had a strong negative reaction to it. 

Let’s see if any of my Top 10 make it to the Top 100. So far Turin Horse (1), Silence (2), The Other Side of The Wind (7), and Goodbye to Language (10) have all been announced. I can see 2 of the other ones I voted for being voted well and maybe a 3rd one. I’ll chalk it up to bad taste in my part.

Nah, @Octopus, you seem to have good taste that just touches on some stuff a bit off from the consensus choices. Which is fine. Greater variety of tastes make this more fun. 

Although selling me on Turin Horse as it being a spiritual companion piece of Tree of Life means there are a couple things we aren’t going to see eye to eye on and I may not like Turin Horse when I get to it... 

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey now. The Town was awesome. Pete Postlethwaite played the most evil gangster bit part since Robert Prosky in Thief. 

Considering how many movies, including The Town, are inspired by Heat or just straight up lift shit from it, it feels right that you've found a way to introduce Mann into the conversation. 

• Like 1

Holy fuck, that trailer for The Town is amazing. "From the acclaimed director of Gone Baby Gone" cuts immediately to Affleck doing shirtless pullups with lighting that emphasizes his physique. That's hilarious. I wish every director did that. I want that for Ron Howard's next feature. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

Spoiler
big_sick

141) THE BIG SICK (2017)

Director: Michael Showalter

187 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#29) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: BP, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, EVA - HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/88%) : METACRITIC (86/7.0)

@Casey wrote... well pretty much the reason I haven't watched it despite knowing I will like it. I just.... can't. (Legit I teared up watching the trailer again as I grabbed it for this post.)

I just watched The Big Sick again and I forgot how much of a blubbering mess it makes me. Zoe Kazan is so, so good.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8214-2020-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=960641

And from @Johnny Sorrow

I saw "The Big Sick" last night and it's wonderful. Its the best movie I've seen in a long time. It did something tremendous, it made me cry and laugh at the same time, literally. And Holly Hunter and Ray Romano deserve Oscar noms. If you haven't seen it, do so.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6393-sept-2017-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=682483

Can't believe Black Rainbow got this high. Actually I guess it makes sense. It feels like one of those movies that if people like it, they like it a lot. But if they're not vibing with it early it could become a chore. It's a kind of horror movie that focuses on mood and sometimes obtuse imagery, and for me that's more refreshing than something that relies on plot.

Decent placement for Annihilation too, which I prefer to Alex Garland's other sci-fi movie that I'm sure we'll see ahead. 

Is Prisoners the first Denis Villenueve?

Looking back I probably should have voted one of his other movies higher than Sicario. I imagine it'll be on the way.

What a great score Sicario has by the way. Johann Johannsson was incredible. Desert Music. The Beast. Great tracks.

Annihilation was another one with a great score by Ben Salisbury.

SICARIO made the very end of my list on the strength of the direction, cinematography, performances, and score.  Think the story is actually pretty dumb.  Like, stuff happens that is so far removed from reality that it makes the film’s attempts to comment on The Way The World Really Is come off as absurd.  Emily Blunt’s character is treated horribly, to boot.

Edited by EVA

I guess the way Villenueve directs makes me feel like I'm never in any "real" reality. He and Deakins make everything look so alien that I never thought of Sicario as grounded in real shit. It's like an alternate present. 

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

149) KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS (2016)

Director: Travis Knight

177 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: RIPPA (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/86%) : METACRITIC (84/8.1)

This might have been the highest animated film on my ballot if I had made one, so apologies.