DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

31 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Toy Story 4 is a very imperfect movie but I enjoy a lot of it (I have strong feelings about the end though cause it was so out of character for Woody) and Ducky and Bunny should be the future of the franchise. They are the heroes we need in these times.

I regret some how forgetting about documentaries when I was putting my list together cause I would have been a vote for Jiro if I had not forgotten an entire genre of film. 

Hated Toy Story 4's ending for that reason and others.

1 hour ago, Control said:

The original HARAKIRI is one of my favourite films of all time. The remake is ... fine.

This is part of the reason I haven't seen the remake. I was worried (am worried) that I will just be irritated

39 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Woody had generalized anxiety because he tied his identity to his kids for decades and now he can’t go out and get his?  

I have pretty strong feelings about Toys only existing for their Owners, or else we wouldn't know who the Human Rulers of the Planet are, so yeah.

I really enjoyed A Dangerous Method. As a fan of Bergman’s chamber dramas, a psycho-sexual drama filled with interpersonal power plays, filled with great yet not over powering acting, and primarily revolving around conversations is right up my alley. I can see how the ending could be panned, but with the layout of the film I found it pleasantly fitting. Especially with how influential Sabina Spielrein was to both Jung and Freud but more importantly as a badass thinker herself.

@Control, you mention Knightley. I just read that the original script written in the 90’s was written with the idea of Julia Roberts playing that role. How difference of a performance that would have been.

——

Cosmopolis is the type of movie I guess I would recommend to anyone unless I’m sure they dig it. Very unique in how tightly shot and stoic it is. It’s an aesthetic that really encompasses nearly the entire film that was so jarring at first I almost couldn’t get into it. But once my mind, body, and soul felt the rhythms of the pacing, I fell in love with the experience.

—-

My regret omissions so far is The Other Guys and Wreck-it-Ralph. There are a few films I respect but didn’t love at the bottom of my 100. If I remembered Ralph & a few others I probably wouldn’t have had that dilemma.

—-

@JLSigman you’re very cool. I cowardly did the opposite and cut a few Marvel’s out at the end because I didn’t want the cool kids to make fun of me. So I respect you immensely more than myself.

This is maybe a conversation for another thread, but the Marvel movies have fashioned themselves in the style of the Movie Serials and I can see people’s problems with desiring more singular experiences. I enjoy the continuation of overarching stories and episodic films. Also some of the films have interesting socio-political themes that I feel are handled well.

To each their own. I found the early ones fun but not great until the later ones.

——

I enjoyed Killing Them Softly. My issue was that I last seen it in theaters and never too the time I needed for the mental refresh. I do recall a few moments where the motion slowed down to overly stylize a cinematic moment. Not to spoil. I remember that leaving an eh taste in my mouth. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but that’s partially why I didn’t revisit. 

I remember really enjoying the sound editing though. 

Also worth mentioning, I loved Andrew Dominik’s other Brad Pitt movie.

——

Tinker Tailor is great for the scene of Gary Oldman slowly swimming.

——-

Guy Maddin is great. Most of this decade he has been doing more art projects like Seance (Internet thing?) and The Green Fog (remake of Vertigo by using old public domain footage) which I haven’t seen. I did not like Keyhole which came out in ‘11. Forbidden Room is a treat for anyone that enjoyed My Winnipeg or Saddest Music on Earth. It has his sense of humor. 

As I’m typing this, I now see he has The Green Fog up streaming on his Vimeo for free. I wish I saw this before the deadline:

——

Midnight in Paris is a great film to watch while drinking coffee in the morning. It makes me happy.

Full transparency as the high vote on Midnight in Paris: I realized later that I kept Blue Jasmine off my list because I had an inconsistent Woody Allen policy (plus it also has another notorious creep in it.) It should’ve made my list though, as it’s the best movie I’ve seen about how rumination plays into mental illness. 

176) MIDSOMMAR (2019)

Director: Ari Aster

153 Points (2 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: BP : HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (83%/63%) : METACRITIC (72/6.5)

NOTES FROM RIPPA - Most of the Midsommar discussion is in the 2019 Horror Thread (almost exactly halfway through). It is a little too spoilery to link directly too. Also know that while IMDB and Metacritic have just kept one page, Rotten Tomatoes has created separate pages for the regular movie and the director's cut.

173) BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD (2012)

Director: Benh Zeitlin

154 Points (2 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#23) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Bill S Preston - HONORABLE MENTION: Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%/76%) : METACRITIC (86/7.5)

Spoiler
conjuring

172) THE CONJURING (2013)

Director: James Wan

155 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Octopus (#33) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (86%/83%) : METACRITIC (68/8.2)

@Brian Fowler expresses what is the common feeling on the board

I really struggled with giving the Warrens money as well. I still haven't watched part 2, but The Conjuring was so fucking good.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3579-the-all-things-horror-thread~/&do=findComment&comment=598093

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

duke

174) THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY (2014)

Director: Peter Strickland

154 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/65%) : METACRITIC (87/6.9)

Absolutely gobsmacked that I’m not the high vote on this one.

really surprised MIDSOMMAR fell so soon.

Edited by Control

On 10/4/2020 at 1:14 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

3billboards

191) THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING MISSOURI (2017)

Director: Martin McDonagh

143 Points (4 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#37) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, KLOS, New Blood : HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/87%) : METACRITIC (88/7.8)

Red Band Trailer - NSFW (but only due to language)

Loved this one. Someone on here talked about all the ways it could have gone wrong with the 'tough white woman who's a little racist stands up to cops but she's a character and has a black friend' plotline but that it consistently sidestepped the pitfalls and stayed true. I liked the way the characters were all pretty well-rounded, everyone is kind of neat, everyone is kind of a dick. And there were 3-4 sequences that had me (And me alone in the theater!) doubled-over, killing myself with laughter. So that's always nice!

On 10/5/2020 at 8:31 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

killing_them_softly

189) KILLING THEM SOFTLY (2012)

Director: Andrew Dominik

144 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: EVA (#41) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (73%/44%) : METACRITIC (64/6.1)

This was an incredible watch in a theater with a proper sound system. That opening/credit sequence was so incredibly punishing and cool with proper speakers and the like. I took my two indie-film-watching friends with me and we were all pretty blown away by it. Ray Liotta was great in this, even if he did end up shitting all over the movie after IIRC (I might have it confused with 'The Place Beyond the Pines', one of them he just BURIED after it came out).

On 10/5/2020 at 9:47 AM, Andy in Kansas said:

Killing Them Softly definitely feels like it was released shortly after the time it's set (late 2008) rather than 2012. 

I get that he wasn't a big enough deal to put on the poster, but Scoot McNairy is fantastic in that flick (as he is in most things). 

Scoot McNairy is the man.

On 10/5/2020 at 6:51 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

rango

179) RANGO (2011)

Director: Gore Verbinski

151 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood, RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (88%/69%) : METACRITIC (75/7.7)

I really enjoyed this when I saw it but haven't seen it since and kinda forgot about it.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

paddington

178) PADDINGTON (2014)

Director: Paul King

151 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Sublime

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/80%) : METACRITIC (77/7.9)

@caley wrote

Bizarrely, everybody LOVED the 'Paddington' sequel and I was rather nonplussed by it, didn't even finish watching it, IIRC. This probably should have at least made my HM list but my laptop from this time period died so I don't have any of my movie-watching data from the 2015ish-2019 handy.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

176) MIDSOMMAR (2019)

Director: Ari Aster

153 Points (2 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: BP : HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (83%/63%) : METACRITIC (72/6.5)

NOTES FROM RIPPA - Most of the Midsommar discussion is in the 2019 Horror Thread (almost exactly halfway through). It is a little too spoilery to link directly too. Also know that while IMDB and Metacritic have just kept one page, Rotten Tomatoes has created separate pages for the regular movie and the director's cut.

I liked this as I was watching it (Though it's a little loooooong) but as I got some distance from it, I found it really stuck in my head and keep coming back to it mentally which I decided was enough to put it on my list even though at the time I watched it, I probably wouldn't have had it in my Top 10 for 2019 

5 hours ago, Control said:

Absolutely gobsmacked that I’m not the high vote on this one.

Where did you rank it? Duke of Burgundy is the kind has the kind of uninhibited psycho sexual power structures I crave from cinema. And without preachy judgments or explaining how, why or even if it's subversive.  You have to be down or get the fuck out. 

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Where did you rank it? Duke of Burgundy is the kind has the kind of uninhibited psycho sexual power structures I crave from cinema. And without preachy judgments or explaining how, why or even if it's subversive.  You have to be down or get the fuck out. 

Haven't seen it but my first impression from watching the trailer was that Radley Metzger must have come out of retirement and made a final film before his death.

I don't remember ever hearing about it, even though I loved Berberian Sound Studio. It looks like Argento and Rollin got together to make a movie. And probably some other director with S&M tendencies that I'm overlooking.

In other words HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THAT

6 hours ago, jaedmc said:

41! This just didn’t seem like a DUKE OF BURGUNDY crowd.

Also, I forgot to complete my honourable mentions: if I had, IN FABRIC would have been on there.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The-Turin-Horse

175) THE TURIN HORSE (A torinoi lo) (2011)

Director:  Béla Tarr/Ágnes Hranitzky

153 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Octopus (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Bill S Preston

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%/76%) : METACRITIC (80/8.5)

This and Once Upon a Time in Anatolia were on my to watch list for about the same amount of time, and I never got around to either due to run times and generally the mind set it takes for me to sit through a foreign language film in spite of loving most foreign language films I see.