DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

On 10/5/2020 at 7:03 PM, RIPPA said:

Now just imagine all the ones I voted for that AREN'T making the countdown

I blame myself. 

This was part of the reason I didn't end of finishing a ballot when the majority of my top 10 were animated Disney movies and I 2nd guessed myself to the point of eventually just giving up.  

• Sad 1

My #1 has posted. A stellar work from an all time great filmmaker. I have this in my Top 15 (revolving Top 10 at the 8-15 spots). His previous film Werckmeister Harmonies is a personal favorite and I am giddily waiting for the right time to watch Satantango still. Bella Tarr is a beast. Turin Horse, being his last feature I’d we are to believe his retirement but wrestling taught us not to, is his purest version of what we recognize as his modern style. Beautiful black and white cinematography, nihilist philosophy, less cuts, more long takes. Turin Horse is an experience. Without using spoilers, the best I can describe it by is a depressed Tarkovsky doing Jeanne Dielmann. The conditions are bad, the Horse won’t move, and their stuck at their meek farm. 

This came out the same year as Tree of Life and I feel they’re great opposite philosophy epics. Both long with a larger than life feeling to them, but so different. Tree of Life encompasses the beauty of life and is filled with religious overtones. Turn Horse is a specific moment of time in these farmers’ life and there is no God. Tree of Life is beautiful with colors and a fluid moving camera. Turin Horse is visually bleak with gusts of dust and fog and often static shots or very deliberate camera movements. Tree of Life has erratic edits throughout. Turin Horse is only 30 shots. Yet, I feel that these opposites all work together so nicely. If I had an entire free day I would watch these back to back and have it be an evening out experience. It would be like listening to John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme and Rachmaninov’s The Isle of the Dead back to back.

• Like 2

I am chuckling to myself because when I first started doing my ballot - in my head, I was going to have HTTYD as my last movie (of whatever length it ended up being).

Then I am putting my list together and I was like "Well it's better than that movie and its better than that movie" and here I am suddenly as the high voter.

It is impossible for me to separate life events from the actual movie. I might have mentioned this in the pimping threads but this movie was the first movie my son ever saw in theater and to this day, dragons remain one of his ultimate favorite things.

I haven't watched either of the sequels partly because I still want to hold onto the memories of that day when we saw it for the first time and the fear that lesser movies will ruin that.

• Like 3

Spoiler
raid2

169) THE RAID 2 (Serbuan maut 2) (2014)

Director: Gareth Evans

156 Points (2 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Andy in Kansas - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%/87%) : METACRITIC (71/8.5)

JT: "The Raid 2 is also batshit insane awesome. "

AxB: "The Raid 2 last week, but it blew my mind so much my review would be just, like, "Watch this, it's awesome!", and I don't think anyone's really interested in a four word review. "

God Dammit

The Raid 2 is my biggest omission (until I discover the next one)

The only thing I can think of is that when checking the list my brain kept processing The Raid: Redemption as both movies so I thought I voted for it.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Outside Satan trailer is NSFW

Also what the hell is that movie about?

That's kind of open to interpretation. 

Sorry, not trying to be flip but I'm working and don't have time for long-form reviews. Essentially it is about a drifter acting as a guardian angel to a girl in a small village. He accomplishes that by killing people. It is a film with a glacial pace and much of it is open to interpretation.  

Edited by Execproducer
A Better Response.
  • Like 1

Watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi, which led me down an internet hole where I found this from a comic by Anthony Bourdain based on Jiro (CONTENT WARNING: Comic book beheading):

Spoiler

getjiro-californiaroll.jpg?fit=400,%2B99

Snobs. I'm gonna get a platter of supermarket sushi AND a California roll tonight and I'm going to inhale them both and it's going to be amazing.

Re: the documentary, people whose lives are so completely consumed by one thing make interesting subjects for stories like these but thinking about everything missed out on in pursuit of this type of professional mastery is a bummer. 

Turns out he lost the Michelin stars last year because the place is so exclusive that the general public can't get reservations. An article on the subject said he's still personally serving sushi. He's now 94. 

• Like 2

Spoiler
babadook

167) THE BABADOOK (2014)

Director: Jennifer Kent

158 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#36) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Caley, Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (98%/72%) : METACRITIC (86/8.3)

From Technico Support - probably the most important thing you need to know about the movie

"Speaking of the Babadook, apparently it was listed under LGBT films on Netflix so now there's a meme where Mr. Babadook is now being used as a gay pride icon.    "

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I felt for his son. He didn't really seem to want it, but had to do it. 

Yeah, I was gonna mention him. There's a bit toward the end of the film where Jiro expresses his desire for his son to continue on like this for the rest of his life. To think about that exact same singularly-focused existence passed down from one generation to the next just compounds what a bummer it is. He's being left a world-class business and skills and probable security. But to wish the same things for him deprives him of what Jiro deprived himself of. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

When it comes to A Star Is Born, sometimes you just gotta hand it to a perfect star vehicle finding a star and that star doing star things and looking like a star. It's both Gaga and Cooper at the peak of their powers, and it felt like a big deal blockbuster that landed just right. Nowhere near my number one, but I can't knock it.

Spoiler

STAR~!

147a22630ba0582cd89bead9b17496afde316985

Also, not that it factored into my ranking, but it gave us this other instance of stars doing more star stuff so that's pretty great:

Edited by Andy in Kansas