DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

agirlwalkshomealoneatnight1

125) A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT (2014)

Director: Ana Lily Amirpour

194 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTE: Sublime

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/75%) : METACRITIC (81/7.1)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Almost all the discussion I can find is @Curt McGirt saying he is going to watch it and then saying that he didn't actually watch it

I too have almost started this movie countless times only to never do so.

• Like 1

Spoiler
johnwick3

125) JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM (2019)

Director: Chad Stahelski

195 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%/86%) : METACRITIC (73/7.7)

@Andy in Kansas wrote

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

Keanu Reeves kills many, many people. He kills some people with books, some with knives, some with swords. He kills most of them with guns, and a couple while almost seated on a horse. He killed one who was reloading his gun underwater, which was pretty cool. There's a SWAT team all body-armoured up that he seems to need to kill at least three times per person. 

Asia Kate Dillon pretends someone else's dumb play is a stroke of genius, which is something they do a lot on Billions. 

Lance Reddick finally gets to shoot a bunch of people. 

Can they get Carrie-Anne Moss for the sequel? Am I asking for too much?

Keanu may be a bad actor. Possibly. But he's in cool stuff and he does it right. 

Oh, and there are dogs wearing body armour. 

⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2 out of five.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7705-2019-q2-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=876974

Fassbender really felt like he was on a roll coming into the first half of the decade. Even accounting for his slumping in the back half, the list of leading men who've put together a better body of work this decade is short. Hope he and McQueen aren't done working together. 

Shame, Prometheus, Frank, and A Dangerous Method for him so far. He's well-represented here. 

7 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I don't think Octo could be the high vote @ 18 for 2 movies in a row.

The Manchester by the Sea votes are

The Z at #11 for high vote. Bill S Preston and Caley are the other two votes

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

shame

122) SHAME (2011)

Director: Steve McQueen

197 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Octopus (#18) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (79%/75%) : METACRITIC (72/7.8)

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

manchester_by_the_sea

121) MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (2016)

Director: Kenneth Lonergan

197 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, Bill S Preston

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/78%) : METACRITIC (96/8.2)

Pretty apt that these come back-to-back as they are both great movies, built around great acting performances by their lead and I appreciate both and have no interest in watching either one ever again.

• Like 1

Casey Affleck was good in Manchester by the Sea, but Michelle Williams almost steals the movie out from under him with her big scene. I think that's one of my few real memories of that one. Watched that scene again just now, and she's really good. 

Maybe I should give Fosse/Verdon a chance... 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

16 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Casey Affleck was good in Manchester by the Sea, but Michelle Williams almost steals the movie out from under him with her big scene. I think that's one of my few real memories of that one. Watched that scene again just now, and she's really good. 

Maybe I should give Fosse/Verdon a chance... 

Williams has kind of gotten a reputation around my family for doing roles when she always cries and we're all kinda "meh" on her but this was one of those films that made me kind of reevaluate that.

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm still kinda kicking myself for not finishing Fosse/Verdon. 

I feel like I could do a whole poll on Movies Curt Hasn't Finished Yet

• Haha 2