DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

22 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

If I have been reading this right, you have been placing additional vote names in order of ranking. No way I was the #2 on The Hateful Eight

No I have not - I have been putting them out as I remember them (or if they are left over from the previous post)

• Thanks 1

Best thing about Hateful Eight is Walton Goggins getting to shine like that in a semi-big deal movie. He gets plenty of small parts or bland forgettable villain parts and generic southern P.O.S. parts. And make no mistake, he's definitely a southern P.O.S. in this one, but he gets to make a meal of Tarantino dialogue and over-season it and look like someone who should be in every one of that guy's movies. Normally you need to catch him on premium cable if you want to see him adding eight extra layers to a performance. He ain't Justified or Vice Principals level in this, but he's pretty good. 

Because of how frustratingly slow the board is being for me today - I am not going to look for reviews on movies for the time being.

I have two more I am trying to get posted and then I am giving up for the day.

I feel like Green Room gets rediscovered here every couple of months since it came out. Someone will say "Oh hey just watched Captain Picard play a fucking neo-nazi in this great movie." And four others will be like "Isn't it great!".

I obviously love it. Like he did in Blue Ruin Saulnier does an effective job at being semi-realistic with violence and normal people's ability to carry it out. In most movies guns become equalizers. Normal folks can just pick one up and be Annie Oakley. But in Saulnier's movies guns don't make you super human, and the sense of security they provide can actually put you in more danger.

Watching a lot of horror films I see so many directors that just can't effectively create tension. I think they believe the scriptwriter creates it with the plot and that's enough. Just point and shoot. But it's a woefully underdeveloped skill and I think Saulnier not only does it well, but does it in ways that surprise and inspire.

• Like 3

Stewart is playing against type, but not the way it seems at first look; he’s know for playing sharp intellects who are firmly in control. The brilliance of him playing the townie nazi is that he has the gravitas to convincingly seem like a leader even as it becomes increasingly clear that he’s in over his head and losing control over the situation. They play with the trope of The Cleaner (à la Winston Wolf) but he’s really just some shithead who’s bullied a bunch of confused adolescents into seeming like an authority figure. To the very end he thinks he can bullshit his way out of the situation. 

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I realized yesterday my favorite movie of the decade is likely not going to make the list. 

(Yes, Phil, if i submitted a ballot, yadda yadda yadda)

To be fair - if it would have been #1 on your ballot, it definitely would have made it so my shaming is appropriate in this scenario

Regarding Homecoming: I still think Holland is the best Spider-man and Michael Keaton is great but far too much teenage angst for me to consider voting for it.

Regarding Ghost Protocol: I said this when the other one popped up but if I could remember the difference in the movies without having to rewatch I might have thrown one on the back end of my ballot. I still don't understand why Paula Patton isn't more of a thing.

• Like 3