DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

I have to run to a meeting. Couple of quick notes

12 Years A Slave is - as far as I can tell - the first movie to appear that was also on the Greatest of All Time List (it was 296 there)

And from here forward - all movies will have at least 300 points

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

skinilivein

80) THE SKIN I LIVE IN (La piel que habito) (2011)

Director: Pedro Almodóvar

295 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Jae, Bill S Preston, Octopus

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%/84%) : METACRITIC (70/8.0)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - I guess the trailer is NSFW since there is a rogue nipple that they really didn't try to hard to cover.

I know I've seen this film. I know I liked this film. I think I even burned a DVD copy in the off-chance it didn't show up in the local rental place(s) (that's how old it is!). But for the life of me I cannot remember a thing about this film. I thought it was because it came out just before 'Broken Embraces', but apparently the latter preceded the former by two years. I thought it was because the two movies both used Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas, but apparently neither actor was in both movies. I went through a real Almodovar extensive period in the 2005-2011 range, going back and watching all his old stuff and getting to the theater for all his new stuff (They actually showed 'Volver' here and it blew me away) and even buying a book on him! And then shortly after this one, I just lost interest (Didn't care for 'I'm So Excited', never saw 'Julieta', even got 'Pain and Glory' from the library but didn't watch it, never read the book). I haven't watched an Almodovar, or rewatched one, since 2013. There's nothing wrong with his stuff, I'm sure I'd probably enjoy it if I went back, but it's kind of funny how you go through periods where you're just enamored of a director and then you grow out of it and move one. Similarly, I haven't watched a Chuck Norris movie in almost two years!

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

four_lions

79) FOUR LIONS (2010)

Director: Christopher Morris

297 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston, Sublime, Caley, Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%/80%) : METACRITIC (68/7.9)

I've already much detailed my love for this one, but it's kind of funny how two of the actors have gone on to pretty big things States-side (Riz Ahmed had that HBO miniseries, and Kayan Novak is one of the leads in the FX TV adaptation of 'What We Do in the Shadows' (Which is a million times better than I was expecting it to be!), but Nigel Lindsay, who kind of stole the movie a lot with his deranged white guy converted to Islamic terrorist role, never really increased his profile (I see he was a bad guy in the Magnum PI reboot but I will likely NEVER see that!).

• Like 1

76) THE CABIN IN THE WOODS (2011)

Director: Drew Goddard

300 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA, KLOS, Octopus, Control - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/74%) : METACRITIC (72/8.1)

• Like 2

75) ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY (2016)

Director: Gareth Edwards

300 Points (4 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, The Z, RIPPA - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (84%/86%) : METACRITIC (65/7.6)

• Like 1

Cabin has a real good memory for me. It was one of the last time our whole crew was in town before people started moving away. Everybody went to the Art, my buddy Justin had smuggled in a giant bottle of wine in his backpack, I came in completely cold and by the time the title exploded on the screen I was hook-in-mouth. The whole phalanx of us went down to the Blind Pig afterward. End of an era...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

75) ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY (2016)

Director: Gareth Edwards

300 Points (4 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, The Z, RIPPA - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (84%/86%) : METACRITIC (65/7.6)

For me, this is about as perfect a Star Wars film as you can get. It also gets bonus emotional stuff from me because a) I saw it right after Carrie Fisher died and b) it was the last film I saw in a theater.

• Like 1

Baby Driver was one of the last things I watched for the last time and I loved it... especially the way it did incorporate the music into the whole movie.

As per usual - the recency bias probably showed in my placement of it (I am like 20 spots higher than anyone else)

In search for reviews - it is interesting because most of what pops up is about Kevin Spacey being a shithead. (Especially the number of people who say they won't own or rewatch the movie now).

I am someone who can still watch a Chris Benoit match (well when I still watched wrestling) so YMMV

On re-watch, Kevin Spacey constantly addressing a young man with whom there's a power imbalance as "baby" can certainly read uncomfortable. 

Reading about the way they used music and sound in that movie is super interesting. And the action, especially on wheels, is *chef's kiss* real good. 

Spoiler
truegrit_remake

73) TRUE GRIT (2010)

Director: Joel and Ethan Coen

305 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, Bill S Preston, The Z, Control, Execproducer

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/85%) : METACRITIC (80/7.8)

@Curt McGirt wrote

Last night I finally caught True Grit, and I'm kicking myself for taking six damn years to see it. It's fantastic. Could've won any of the nominations it had for the Oscars and didn't which is a crime. Above all Hailee Steinfeld and the brilliant dialogue stand out. Certainly in the top five of Coen films, maybe in the top three.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4738-movie-march-2016-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=500020

7 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

On re-watch, Kevin Spacey constantly addressing a young man with whom there's a power imbalance as "baby" can certainly read uncomfortable. 

The real eye opener when I watched it a second time was when Spacey says, “I was blinded by the balls on that kid.” 

2 hours ago, caley said:

I've already much detailed my love for this one, but it's kind of funny how two of the actors have gone on to pretty big things States-side (Riz Ahmed had that HBO miniseries, and Kayan Novak is one of the leads in the FX TV adaptation of 'What We Do in the Shadows' (Which is a million times better than I was expecting it to be!), but Nigel Lindsay, who kind of stole the movie a lot with his deranged white guy converted to Islamic terrorist role, never really increased his profile (I see he was a bad guy in the Magnum PI reboot but I will likely NEVER see that!).

Once I saw Four Lions, I was looking for a reason to pivot to talking about The Night Of, but couldn't find a way. Thanks for going there for me! Ahmed is can't miss in that. The tension he has to carry, especially the first hour of that show, is nuts. And John Turturro turns in what would be a near career-best performance for anyone who isn't John fucking Turturro. So good.

I hope this isn't the last time on this list we'll have a reason to bring up the What We Do in the Shadows series. You know how deep that bench is when you realize Novak might be the least funny of person in the main cast. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Wait, what is this? Does Scorsese having some Inside Out-specific beef that I missed? 

I know at one point he shit on the Marvel movies (which he then tried to backtrack on) so I am wondering if Pixar was lumped into that too