DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, caley said:

I do NOT remember voting for this. I mean, I'm sure I did and it's good, it's just not something I remember having in the mix for my Top 100.

You had it at #86 - ironically, one spot behind Hereditary

27 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Seeing Roma there made me realize Gravity hasn't shown up yet and is probably unlikely to. Wow. 

Seeing 'Gravity' in 3D in the theaters, then at home sans 3D was like watching two completely different movies. In the theaters, I was like "Whoa! This is amazing. One of the best films I've ever seen." At home I was like "Meh".

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You had it at #86 - ironically, one spot behind Hereditary

Oh I'm not doubting your vote-counting, just do not remember putting it on there. Looking at my list now, I think I snuck it on my list late at the expense of some other films (Likely 'Blue Jay', 'Cloud Atlas', 'Jeff Who Lives at Home' or 'Mandy' which all seem to have been bumped late). Also, rather embarrassingly, I now see that I misspelled 'The Lihgthouse' on my ballot.

Gravity should’ve been on my list. I had such a great theater experience with it, but I’ve always thought it would be diminishing returns watching it on a television so I’ve never gone back to it.

Roma’s an enormous blind spot for me. 

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Seeing Roma there made me realize Gravity hasn't shown up yet and is probably unlikely to. Wow. 

I don't know if you had Gravity on your list or not, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't show up.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I don't know if you had Gravity on your list or not, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't show up.

I'm just going by how I'd envisioned this all coming together. I expected Roma to finish well above Gravity. Roma being a recent buzzy movie and a big prestige play for the biggest streamer in the world (and also one of the decade's best movies about dogs who poop where they're not supposed to poop!), I figured it'd have an edge over something that lost a lot of its buzz once it was off the big screen. Considering it's been seven years since it had that theatrical run, I'm skeptical about how high it can realistically make it. But I may be wrong. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

52) JOHN WICK (2014)

Director: Chad Stahelski

400 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Broken Lamp (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, Octopus, Caley, EVA, KLOS, New Blood, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%/81%) : METACRITIC (68/8.1)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

xmen_first_class

56) X-MEN: FIRST CLASS (2011)

Director: Matthew Vaughn

364 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#14) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Mavs Fan, The Z, Rippa, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (86%/87%) : METACRITIC (65/7.8)

Excellent reintroduction for the most part, I enjoyed myself altho I don't think I watched many of the ones after it because I got tired of Jennifer Lawrence's stuff real, real quick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I'm just going by how I'd envisioned this all coming together. I expected Roma to finish well above Gravity. Roma being a recent buzzy movie and a big prestige play for the biggest streamer in the world (and also one of the decade's best movies about dogs who poop where they're not supposed to poop!), I figured it'd have an edge over something that lost a lot of its buzz once it was off the big screen. Considering it's been seven years since it had that theatrical run, I'm skeptical about how high it can realistically make it. But I may be wrong. 

I feel like Melancholia being just outside of the Top 50 gives Gravity a really good chance of showing up. They're not the same movie but Gravity has so much more going for it over Melancholia in terms of wide spread appeal. 6 votes for a Lars Von Trier film(from 9 years ago) on this board is wild. I would assume, and obviously I could be waaaaaaay off, but I would think Gravity, even if it's not as shiny as it once was has more than 6 votes.

Top 100 has lots of fascinating surprises so I'm really pleased with how this is going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Raid

53) THE RAID: REDEMPTION (Serbaun maut) (2011)

Director: Gareth Evans

399 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Caley, EVA, KLOS, Andy in Kansas

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (86%87%) : METACRITIC (73/8.2)

My first viewing of this one was really good, with my dad, just in awe of the stunts. My second viewing was probably even more fun, as it was me, and my two friends (It wasn't the last time we would hang out together and watch movies, but it was the last time with the same dynamic, as the one friend would become my brother-in-law while my other friend would move away for 2-3 years before moving back and getting married, so we're still friends, but it's not nearly as easy to set up a dudes watching dues get beat up night), and I had fun knowing what was coming next and watching their reactions. Plus, it also provoked one of my favourite arguements I witnessed as at my friend's ex's house-warming party (long story...), my friend said to one of his work friends "Caley introduced me to this great movie recently, The Raid! You have to see it" and his friend went "Are you kidding?" and my friend went "No! It's really good?" and his friend went "Are you being serious right now?" and my friend went "Yeah!" and his friend went "I have been TELLING you to watch that movie for 6 months now. You should watch The Raid! You should watch The Raid! And Caley tells you about and now you're recommending it to me?!"

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

52) JOHN WICK (2014)

Director: Chad Stahelski

400 Points (9 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Broken Lamp (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, BP, Octopus, Caley, EVA, KLOS, New Blood, Execproducer

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%/81%) : METACRITIC (68/8.1)

This is still my favourite of the three. 2 has the great catacombs sequence and the really fun Ruby Rose character and 3 has a guy getting killed by a horse and ensuing horse chase but I think the performance from the first one is my favourite. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

arrival

51) ARRIVAL (2016)

Director: Denis Villeneuve

401 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Andy in Kansas, The Z, Hobo Joe, EVA, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/82%) : METACRITIC (8.1/8.1)

I wasn't expecting to be the high vote on this one. But my first viewing of it was as close as I've come to crying during a movie in a looooong time.

Spoiled for plot reasons as well as political ones

Spoiler

I saw this shortly before or shortly after the last American election and was just really down about Trump and the way things seemed to be going. And in the movie there's a scene where, for the good of humanity, all the major powers of the world have to set aside their differences and political motivations and work together and t's not like a really out there movie idea (It is in real world terms but...) and I'm sure similar things have been done before or since in other movies but something about that scene and that idea in that moment of time just hit me and my eyes welled up real good, just this idea of people setting aside ideas of power and control and working together.

So, that, combined with Amy Adams' incredible performance, and that beautiful score by Johann Johannsson, and those incredible effects and cinematography all combined together for one of my favourite films of the decade, overriding the fact that I maybe (probably) don't completely understand exactly what happened by the time the credits roll. But I'm okay with that. Sometimes I don't have to know.

1 hour ago, caley said:

This is still my favourite of the three. 2 has the great catacombs sequence and the really fun Ruby Rose character and 3 has a guy getting killed by a horse and ensuing horse chase but I think the performance from the first one is my favourite. 

Since I was the person with John Wick 3 as #3 on my ballot, I guess I'll get in on this discussion as I wasn't among the nine of you who voted for the first movie. It's a great movie and the build-up around the Boogeyman and the world-building of the hotel and the presentation of foreign-language dialogue are all fantastic and the style of action presented here feels instrumental in steering what a growing segment of moviegoers want in a blockbuster action flick. But my god, finishing the movie with a hand-to-hand scene between a beaten-down Reeves and Nyqvist has some serious "we blew a decent chunk of the budget on the club scene" energy.

On the topic of big action franchises that are constantly escalating and executing that escalation shockingly well (which has come up with the Fast and M:I movies), I think the Wick movies are at the top of the pack with each one being bigger and better than the last. The fire you're thrown into in the first 20+ minutes of the third movie is wild, as it feels like everything is chasing that club scene in the first. There might be more top-tier action in the first twenty minutes of the third than there is in the entirety of the original. I had to go big for the sequels.

Also, Lance Reddick doesn't really get in on the gun-play till the third IIRC. How do I resist its charms? And BODY ARMOR FOR DOGS?! God I love these movies.

My list ended up topping out at 71 picks. If I went longer, I'm sure I'd have been the tenth vote for the first John Wick. 

Fun thought: John Wick and The Equalizer both came out in 2014, both featuring aging stars as mysterious, underestimated lethal weapons with a lot of ghosts in their past. It's wild how much better one of those movies is, considering they're both playing in that same space. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

joker

59) JOKER (2019)

Director: Todd Phillips

351 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, The Z, Octopus, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (68%/88%) : METACRITIC (59/9.0)

Cool seeing Joker get a #1 vote. Joker (2019) was my #7 telling the origin story of an unreliable narrator who becomes the Joker due to One Bad Day. Arguably the darkest comic book movie ever made. One of the best CBM's as well. Joaquin Phoenix and Hildur Guonadottir fully deserved the awards they won during awards season, Best Actor and Best Original Score.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

xmen_first_class

56) X-MEN: FIRST CLASS (2011)

Director: Matthew Vaughn

364 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#14) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Mavs Fan, The Z, Rippa, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (86%/87%) : METACRITIC (65/7.8)

The X-Men franchise really needed righting after the awful X-Men 3: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Matthew Vaughan and the cast did just that with X-Men: First Class going back to where it began, with Professor Xavier and Magneto meeting one another, the formation of Xavier's school and the 1960s setting. Great cameo as well. My #46. I have to post the best scene from it:

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

MI Fallout

55) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT (2018)

Director: Christopher McQuarrie

367 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Mavs Fan, Caley, EVA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/88%) : METACRITIC (86/8.3)

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Our last 5 vote movie

I should have voted for it just for Henry Cavill cocking his arms

8855c833ffaebe203d52386a2e3a0d623ec11c7c

The most streamlined-less plot twisty of the eligible Mission: Impossible movies out this year. I had difficulty deciding the order of the three so put them one after another with Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) the lowest at #34.

7 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Excellent reintroduction for the most part, I enjoyed myself altho I don't think I watched many of the ones after it because I got tired of Jennifer Lawrence's stuff real, real quick.

I concur with @JLSigman on all this. I was sick of Jennifer Lawrence from X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) on.

• Like 1

All three Mission: Impossible films from the decade made the countdown:

• Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015) [194]
  • Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (Bird, 2011) [102]
  • Mission: Impossible – Fallout (McQuarrie, 2018) [55]

Only The Natural and Mavs Fan voted for all three.

Andy in Kansas voted for two. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol and Mission: Impossible - Fallout.

BP went for Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. Caley and Eva voted for Mission: Impossible - Fallout.

15 hours ago, caley said:

I actually rewatched it this summer and I feel like most of what I said stands. A lot of people described this as Scorsese atoning for and analyzing his role in profiting/tradng in violent cinema over the years, but I feel like that's an extra level of metaphor that isn't actually there, mainly because at no point do I feel like Frank is atoning or analyzing anything he's done. He seems pretty proud of it, right up until the end.

I finally got around to seeing Joker this past summer. It's perfectly fine. It's pretty much a one performance movie and super heavy-handed.  I never bought into all the incel talk, to be honest, felt like that was people projecting stuff onto the movie that it was really putting out there. It was just a sad-sack leading a shitty life until he's pushed to the brink and goes over the edge. It did not need to be over two hours. 

I agree with you a lot on both The Irishman and The Joker. I was really amped to watch The Irishman, if anyone wants to go look at my ballot for the greatest movie poll they'll see that Scorsese was well represented at the top of my list, but Irishman did not do it for me. It was too long and I thought it was pretty much just a greatest hits album or maybe a better analogy would be a reunion tour you got to see the things you remember were great but there is something hallow about the experience. Pesci was the main takeaway from it for me he was amazing, DeNiro was really good, but at the end of it I just kind of felt like it didn't need to be made. I agree that I think people are overanalyzing the movie regarding the idea that Marty is atoning for the violent past because this movie does little to make that argument. Frank is pretty content with his life and what he did, maybe there were things he regretted but I don't think he would have changed his path if given another chance. I look at it in comparison to Goodfellas (which I think is Scorsese's last truly great movie) as far as the argument that this is Scorsese being critical of the violent/criminal people in his movies, in Goodfellas the gangsters are more glamorized but in the end you see that it's dead end life, either you die or you have to give it up and hide, in the Irishman they're not as glamorized and some of them meet an untimely end but Frank and others get to keep living their comfortable lives and never have to really face the consequences. 

The Joker has a great performance by Phoenix but so does pretty much every other movie he is in, he can carry a movie himself and a lot of the Joker was that for me, I didn't really care for the story or what happened but Joaquin kept me watching. I also felt the little Bruce Wayne scene felt kind of tacked on like the studio was just adamant that "Bruce Wayne has to be in this movie if it's about the Joker"  I understand having Thomas Wayne as kind of an off screen presence given the backdrop of social unrest due to economic inequality but Bruce really didn't need to show up. It was too long and also the reviews that marked it as derivative of old Scorsese seemed pretty accurate to me. 

• Like 1

True story:  First time I watched MI:FALLOUT was on like an 8-inch seatback screen on an airplane.  I’m not proud of it, and it’s probably some kind of heresy against Lord Cruise, who did that skydiving sequence like 30 times to get it right, for which I will be justly punished when our space lizard overlords finally return.

• Like 1

The Irishman is about growing to old age being a blessing or curse depending on how you’ve lived your life. We see how every criminal who died young was murdered to establish that they’re frozen in time at the age of their death. The consequence is not being alive anymore, but maybe it’s better than gumming your food in prison or realizing you’ve ruined every personal relationship you’ve ever had and you’ll die alone.

Hoffa realizes this on some level and refuses to accept surrendering his union because it’d be the equivalent to him of accepting his advanced age and mortality. He’d rather risk his life to maintain the power and relevance of his youth than go out peacefully as some old codger who used to be somebody. The tragedy of course is that the Hoffa presented in The Irishman is beloved by his family and just generally better adjusted than Frank, who is empty inside save for his desire to maintain his identity with the mafia and the teamsters. 

It’s funny how much we worry about the future, but few of us meditate on the consequences of how we live our lives aside from maybe health and finances. We don’t consider falling victim to the alienation and loneliness of being elderly until it’s upon us. It’s a movie about how life isn’t just about crossing the finish line; it matters how we run the race. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Magneto, Nazi Hunter, could've been a whole movie.

Personally, I had Gravity pretty high, so I wouldn't be surprised it it still shows up, and yes, I saw it in IMAX 3D.

Joker was the best movie of the decade for me hands down. Not since There Will Be Blood have I been so utterly blown away by a performance. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Paul Thomas Anderson put Joaquin Phoenix and Daniel Day-Lewis in a movie together. On top of that, I didn't expect the film to be so thoroughly focused on class struggle. Which changes the whole lens in which you view Batman. He is NOT a good dude, beating up petty thugs when he could use his vast resources for systemic change.

Also, hilarious. All the dark humor hit spot on, though I seemed to be the only one laughing in the theatre.

As for being derivative of Scorsese, it's certainly influenced by and in some ways an homage to both Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, casting DeNiro as the talk show host was a blatant acknowledgement of such, but it's far from an imitation.

• Thanks 1