DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Surprised Jojo Rabbit is at #94. Thought it would a top five to ten.

Again I think it is a combination of those who posted on this board about liking it (granted a small sample size) - almost none of them voted + it only being released in November.

It at least has the benefit of being on HBO now but still I think we all have cited movies from say like 2010 and 2011 that we said "we still haven't gotten to yet" so shorten that window to only say 6 months.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

moana

95) MOANA (2016)

Director: Ron Clements/John Musker/Don Hall/Chris Williams

260 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#18) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Broken Lamp, Natural, RIPPA, KLOS

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%/89%) : METACRITIC (81/7.8)

I enjoyed this movie for what it was, but it's kind of offensive that this finished ahead of Kubo (probably Kaguya too but I've yet to see it).

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I enjoyed this movie for what it was, but it's kind of offensive that this finished ahead of Kubo (probably Kaguya too but I've yet to see it).

Again there is a reason everyone is on my list

Spoiler
floridaproject

90) THE FLORIDA PROJECT (2017)

Director: Sean Baker

264 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/80%) : METACRITIC (92/7.4)

@Johnny Sorrow wrote

I just saw The Florida Project and it blew me away. Defoe was amazing and those were the most realistic kids in a movie since Bad News Bears.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6908-april-2018-movie-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=746712

87) SKYFALL (2012)

Director: Sam Mendes

270 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Mavs Fan (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, Hobo Joe, EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/86%) : METACRITIC (81/7.7)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - The thread is started like two years after Skyfall came out it does have some discussion in it. Plus we can still laugh at it starting with a fake trailer

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 6:17 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

it_follows

100) IT FOLLOWS (2014)

Director: David Robert Mitchell

236 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Jae (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Execproducer, Caley, Control, New Blood - HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%/66%) : METACRITIC (83/7.7)

Great little visceral horror flick. Wait a minute, I know I bought the DVD of this...who stole it?!

On 10/18/2020 at 6:37 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

spotlight

99) SPOTLIGHT (2015)

Director: Tom McCarthy

237 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Octopus (#24) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Bill S Preston, Sublime, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/93%) : METACRITIC (93/8.1)

This movie reminded me that I like movies about journalists doing research and making big discoveries. I like it.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:46 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

moneyball

98) MONEYBALL (2011)

Director: Bennett Miller

246 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#28) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, Andy in Kansas, Mavs Fan, EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%/86%) : METACRITIC (87/8.0)

I end up watching this, usually on cable, at least once a year, and usually it's in the lead-up to spring training and I go "That's it! This is the year I start to watch baseball." amd I have never yet actually watched more than five minutes of a game before getting distracted and not finishing one. If they made a hockey version of this, I would probably watch it daily.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:56 AM, Andy in Kansas said:

Glad I'm not the only one here who feels that way about Sorkin.

Pitt is real good in this one. Corny lines, abrasive shitheel behaviour, and Sorkin speeches that would rub me wrong in less capable hands land big here. The movie even sells the wistful, maudlin stuff fairly well. And I've stumbled onto it on cable too many times and enjoyed it too much for it not to have found a spot on my list. I've got respect in my heart for movies that belong in the Shawshank Redemption/The Rock category of Perfect Movie to Air on Cable Until the End of Time. 

When Jonah Hill shows the video of that catcher (I forget his name...and I've read the book repeatedly) hitting the home run and stumbling and falling over first base and Brad Pitt goes "Aw, they're laughing at him" and the way he delivers that line is my favourite acting moment of his entire career: the little way he almost fumbles over "laughing" as if there's a catch in his throat that he feels for the guy as a baseball player, as a father, as another human being knowing the pain of embarrassment, gets me every time.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

94) JOJO RABBIT (2019)

Director: Taika Waititi

262 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Andy in Kansas (#23) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Caley, EVA, Hobo Joe, Bill S Preston - HONORABLE MENTION: Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (80%/94%) : METACRITIC (58/7.8)

Great film. Now that I've seen it once and know the plot, I'd like to revisit it and see all the little bits.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

lego movie - cinema quad movie poster (1).jpg

92) THE LEGO MOVIE (2014)

Director: Christopher Miller/Phil Lord

263 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, EVA, Andy in Kansas, RIPPA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/87%) : METACRITIC (83/8.3)

Probably should have been on my list. Loved it when it came out and watched it a couple times. I'm a big fan of Miller/Lord and watched and rewatched 'Clone High' and this was as close as I figured I was ever going to get to more Clone High and appreciated it as such. And then....

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

floridaproject

90) THE FLORIDA PROJECT (2017)

Director: Sean Baker

264 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, Control

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/80%) : METACRITIC (92/7.4)

@Johnny Sorrow wrote

I remember when this hit local theaters and the write-up basically made it sound like a group of poor children got to visit Disneyland and I thought "That is not something I want to see", even thought it might be a documentary or something. Then it got a couple Oscar nominations and I read another write-up and it still didn't sound like something I wanted to see. Then my mom saw it and asked me to watch it with her because she loved it so much. And I didn't want to see it so I put it off and off and made excuses then finally sat down to watch it after realizing the guy who made it almost made 'Tangerine' which I had enjoyed and was BLOWN away by this. The write-up makes it sound like another movie watching kids struggling through crushing poverty, but it's actually way more vibrant and alive than that. Like the kids are living in poverty, sure, but they aren't totally aware of how bad it is, they're having fun, they're getting into trouble. So it's sad, yes, but it has a lot of life.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

mud

88) MUD (2012)

Director: Jeff Nichols

270 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#11) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston, BP, The Z, EVA, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/80%) : METACRITIC (76/8.1)

I've watched this one so many times. For me, this was the beginning of the McConaissance, a great little film that plays into McConaughey's image but taking it deeper than it had previously.  I love the way it slowly meanders along, almost like an old-time adventure movie with them helping him fix a boat and then in the last quarter, explodes into sudden violence. Plus, it has Joe Don Baker in it so...

• Like 2

I know perceptions of movies change and different people voted in this one or didn't vote in this one, but I find some of these to be interesting:

2010-2014 poll vs Best of the Decade Poll:

Skyfall - Then: 21, Now: 87

The Lego Movie - Then: 12, Now: 92

Interstellar - Then: 17, Now: 111

I'm not going to go through the whole list, but those are some DROPS!

Somewhat respectable: 

Moonrise Kingdom - Then: 70, Now: 86

Edit: DAMN!

The World's End - Then: 33, Now: 115

Edit: This one bums me out. Sorry again, everyone.

Killer Joe - Then: 53, Now: 139

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

84) THE DEATH OF STALIN (2017)

Director: Armando Iannucci

278 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#19) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, Andy in Kansas, KLOS, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%/78%) : METACRITIC (88/7.4)

@Curt McGirtwrote

Just watched The Death of Stalin, and though I hated the trailer, it surprised me immensely. I guess the gallows humor just seemed sour in the trailer -- this one is amazing. The balance is finer than any wire and it pulls it off. Then you've got Jeffery Tambor doing his best work there and still feel kinda dirty... and you know what? It fits. If any film makes sense having a morally reprehensible person as a major part of the cast, it's this.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Paramount effectively Stalinized (heh) Tambor from the special features, where literally every other cast member spoke about the film. Fitting. 

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7033-june-2018-movie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=765529

NOTE FROM RIPPA - The trailer is Red Band but it is only because of language

• Like 1

Of all the movies I watched for the first time for this project - I think Death of Stalin was the one I was most disappointed in

Either that or Wonder Woman

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Winter's Bone - Then: 32, Now: 85

Argo - Then: 77, Now: 83

There are a lot more that you already missed (with much bigger gaps). And as you already alluded too - it really isn't apples to apples comparison.

I am more interested in the movies that appeared in the Greatest of All Time poll. None of have appeared so far

(The reason I tease this is because the first one (assuming I didn't miss one) will drop within the next 5 movies)

Just now, EVA said:

Holy shit, what a travesty.

Don't yell at me - I had it at 27 which was the highest behind you.

I put Social Network off for a long long time because I thought it was gonna turn into another Dr. Strangelove fiasco (ie: that movie is a fucking documentary now) but thankfully I was wrong.

It could have probably been higher on my ballot but I was trying to not have recency bias with it since I think it was the last (or second to last) thing I watched