DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

Spoiler
ford_v_ferrari_onesheet_rgb

212)  FORD V FERRARI (2019)

Director: James Mangold

129 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/98%) : METACRITIC (81/8.3)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Funnily, most of the references to this movie are in the Oscars thread. A couple of people did say they really loved it but not much more depth than that.

24 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Look, I've liked a couple comic book movies. I get it. But if that one is up this high we are doomed.

You and I have a different definition of "high"

I mean we haven't even hit the Top 200 yet

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Since one finally came up - I am not finding quotes for the big comic book movies. There is an entire sub-folder where they have all been beaten to death in.

Wasnt most of the IM3 chat about the Mandarin (shoot or work) and so on.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

234) SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS (2012)

Director: Martin McDonagh

113 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#18) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (83%/71%) : METACRITIC (66/6.9)

@Curt McGirt wrote

I figured I would be the high vote here because I love it more than just about anyone I know. There are so many endlessly quotable lines here and it was basically McDonagh writing a movie about how he didn't want to write the same type of movies anymore resulting in the same type of movie.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:24 AM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

cloud_atlas_ver3

229) CLOUD ATLAS (2012)

Director: Tom Tykwer/Lana and Lily Wachowski

116 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (67%/66%) : METACRITIC (55/8.3)

Caley wrote this when he wrote "30 Best Films I Saw For the First Time in 2013"

Caley did not vote for Cloud Atlas ?

I had it right near the bottom of my list and went "No one else is going to vote for this movie...I'm dropping it for something else that might place". I honestly thought everyone else hated the movie, especially after watching 'Silicon Valley' where they had the following exchange: 
|"Dinesh: She invited me to her room to watch Cloud Atlas later tonight.
Gilfoyle: Oh yeah, that means she wants you to lay her.
Dinesh: Is that definitive?
Richard: I mean, nobody can watch more than like a minute of that film."

On 9/30/2020 at 1:36 PM, RIPPA said:

225) ZERO DARK THIRTY (2012)

Director: Kathryn Bigelow

120 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#41) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Bill S Preston Esq, EVA

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/80%) : METACRITIC (95/6.9)

This is the article @jaedmc wrote about Zero Dark Thirty - https://www.popoptiq.com/through-this-lens-zero-dark-thirty/

I thought this had much higher cache around these parts? I'm pretty shocked that I'm the high vote here.

On 9/30/2020 at 1:59 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

224) 21 JUMP STREET (2012)

Director: Phil Lord/Christopher Miller

120 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#45) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (84%/82%) : METACRITIC (69/8.0)

No real reviews but a few people bring up Tatum's performance in the "Best Performances By Bad Actors" thread

I really thought about dumping this off my list for other "better" movies but I've watched it too many times and still laugh and laughed so hard the first time considering I didn't even want to watch it and just saw it at a drive-in and ended up laughing so hard all night long. I almost voted for the sequel, too, which is the funniest, most meta take on the Hollywood sequel that I've ever seen.

On 9/30/2020 at 2:14 PM, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

young-adult

222) YOUNG ADULT (2011)

Director: Jason Reitman

121 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (80%/49%) : METACRITIC (71/6.5)

I should have voted for this, too. I like it a lot. Just watched, then re-watched 'Tully' recently and it reminded me a lot of this one and how much I'd like to watch it again. It's almost like the 'The Office' (UK) in that it gets SO awkward near the end that it's almost difficult to watch.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

221) HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)

Director: David Mackenzie

122 Points (4 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Bill S Preston (#57) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Andy in Kansas, The Z, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/88%) : METACRITIC (88/8.1)

@Curt McGirtwrote

@HumanChessgame wrote

I liked this a lot the first time I watched it but can't remember almost anything about it.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

218) PROMETHEUS (2012)

Director: Ridley Scott

123 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#35) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: KLOS

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (73%/68%) : METACRITIC (64/6.5)

I know I enjoyed this in theater but when I try to remember it, all I can think of is that episode of 'The Critic' when Jay Sherman shows his college art film that ends with his character hanging himself and the girl walking in going "Oh..no, Promotheus!" and you can hear Jay seething "PromEtheus!" from off-camera and the title reminds me of that, and only that now.

4 hours ago, The Z said:

I'm not surprised I'm in the minority of people who liked Prometheus, but I thought the Planet of the Apes trilogy would get more love here.

A rare trilogy where all three movies are good and each sequel is better than the previous film, the third one being a near perfect movie in my opinion.

I know they're critically acclaimed and big successes but I'm too much of an animal wuss (A vegetarian who has to turn the channel every time one of those SPCA or animal cruelty ads come on) to ever be able to watch this without getting really sad and angry.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

s-l640

213) FURIOUS 7 (2015)

Director: James Wan

128 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: MavsFan (#24) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (82%/82%) : METACRITIC (67/6.8)

Discussion about this movie starts on Page 4

I thought about voting for a F&F movie but when I thought about them I literally could not differentiate one movie from the other (Was this the one with the Rock as a good guy or bad guy? Was Jason Statham in it and a good guy? Or was he a bad guy?); the only one I can isolate was 'The Fate of the Furious' being the one with Dom against the FF crew and ruining the streak of the FF movies getting better with each subsequent sequel. I actually liked 'Hobbs and Shaw' better than any FF movie but it still did not make my list.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

214) IRON MAN 3 (2013)

Director: Shane Black

127 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#25) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: MavsFan

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (79%/78%) : METACRITIC (62/6.5)

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I did not vote for that movie...

I did not care for that movie...

4 minutes ago, caley said:

I thought about voting for a F&F movie but when I thought about them I literally could not differentiate one movie from the other (Was this the one with the Rock as a good guy or bad guy? Was Jason Statham in it and a good guy? Or was he a bad guy?); the only one I can isolate was 'The Fate of the Furious' being the one with Dom against the FF crew and ruining the streak of the FF movies getting better with each subsequent sequel. I actually liked 'Hobbs and Shaw' better than any FF movie but it still did not make my list.

If you're really asking: Statham was the bad guy. Rock was a good guy who was hospitalized for a good portion of the movie. I can't remember whether or not this is the one where Vin and Rock's beef got so bad that they couldn't be on set together or whatever it was. Oh, and it was Paul Walker's last one. I struggle to differentiate them too, but I end up watching them whenever they show up on Netflix or whatever. I think the fifth is the one where part of their plan to rob a vault in a police station involves getting a cartel boss' fingerprints off of Gal Gadot's ass? It's all a bit of a blur. 

BTW - there are two other franchises that got votes (I legit don't know if any of them made it hence why I am being vague) where I was like "I know a movie was good enough to vote for but I legit can remember which one was which so I am leaving them all off"

3 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

If you're really asking: Statham was the bad guy. Rock was a good guy who was hospitalized for a good portion of the movie. I can't remember whether or not this is the one where Vin and Rock's beef got so bad that they couldn't be on set together or whatever it was. Oh, and it was Paul Walker's last one. I struggle to differentiate them too, but I end up watching them whenever they show up on Netflix or whatever. I think the fifth is the one where part of their plan to rob a vault in a police station involves getting a cartel boss' fingerprints off of Gal Gadot's ass? It's all a bit of a blur. 

I remember when there was a rumour going around that this beef was a work to eventually promote a Rock-Diesel match at the Wrestlemania that was going to precede the release of the movie. Then, it turned out more to be about the rest of the FF crew getting miffed at Rock and Statham for signing on for a spinoff movie because they were a "family". 

A DANGEROUS METHOD is really good, but the ending is really flat. I like Cronenberg's mundane stuff--not as much as his body horror, obviously--but this one couldn't make the cut for me, even with my Canadian filmmaking bias.

EDIT: also, this actually convinced me that Keira Knightley can be good.

Edited by Control

Spoiler
berberian_sound_studio

209) BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO (2012)

Director: Peter Strickland

132 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#20) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (85%/53%) : METACRITIC (80/7.1)

@piranesi wrote a review... about half the movie. Not sure if he ever went back and finished it.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5317-its-alllliiiiiiiiivvvvvve-2016-preseason-of-the-g-g-g-ghost-91-930/&do=findComment&comment=566237

Spoiler

jodorowskys_dune

208) JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013)

Director: Frank Pavich

132 Points (2 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#43) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood, KLOS

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%/89%) : METACRITIC (79/8.3)

@Curt McGirt wrote

Jodorowsky's Dune is an absolute must-see. It played at the Art Theater last night and I am thinking about another watch on Wednesday. The sheer insanity of how the project came together is incredible. The studio give him the rights to Dune on a lark thinking "this nut will never get it together". He gets the best artists and some of the biggest names for actors ever (Mick Jagger? ORSON WELLES?) and makes this immense storyboarded tome to film his vision... and then it all crumbles beneath him. You see why it was inevitable, but you also see why with the right support from the faceless execs it could have come to pass, because Jodo is the most illusory, charismatic, amazingly funny dude ever, and you buy him almost pulling the wool over everyone's eyes in order to make a masterpiece. It would have ended up like a cross between Heaven's Gate and Apocalypse Now in the filming, but it would have been A MA ZING. Watch this fucking documentary.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1245-2014-movie-omnibus-thread/&do=findComment&comment=191608

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Over half the references to Jodorowsky's Dune on this board are from Curt

• Haha 1

Spoiler
the-guest-poster-uk-600x450

207) THE GUEST (2014)

Director: Adam Wingard

135 Points (3 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: New Blood, BP

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%/69%) : METACRITIC (76/8.7)

@twiztor reviewed this as part of Halloween Havoc 2015 (Spoiler Warnings)

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4202-halloween-havoic-vi/&do=findComment&comment=442227

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is a fantastic review for half a film. Bonus points for referencing scary sound LPs.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You and I have a different definition of "high"

I mean we haven't even hit the Top 200 yet

I think by "high" he probably meant making the list at all because that was not a good movie. I was shocked by the praise it got in the moment. The Kingsley reveal was insultingly bad.