DVDVR Message Board

We Don't Need Another Smackdown - 8/21/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I'll be busy this evening, but tonight's SDL is the first one from inside THE THUNDERDOME~

Advertised:

FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - AJ Styles (c) vs. Jeff Hardy

FOR THE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Artist's Collective (c) vs. Lucha House Party

Big E vs. Sheamus

Mr. McMahon introduces the Thunderdome(~)

• Like 2

I am reserving judgment on Thunderdome until the show happens.  There's things I like about it but even with the test run and using paid actors for these you can't fully get how this will all play out until then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I am reserving judgment on Thunderdome until the show happens.  There's things I like about it but even with the test run and using paid actors for these you can't fully get how this will all play out until then.

I think the chances are "really boring" and "dumpster fire" with very little in between!

• Like 1

I like that they're taking advantage of the fact that you can have pyro where spectators would otherwise be seated. A large part of what's helped AEW seem more big-league than the PC these last few months is that, except for the Georgia shows, they've been able to fire off some sparkly shit. Hopefully next week, Rhea Ripley's foot stomp on the stage causes a C4-in-Nakatomi-tower-level explosion. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I like that they're taking advantage of the fact that you can have pyro where spectators would otherwise be seated. A large part of what's helped AEW seem more big-league than the PC these last few months is that, except for the Georgia shows, they've been able to fire off some sparkly shit. Hopefully next week, Rhea Ripley's foot stomp on the stage causes a C4-in-Nakatomi-tower-level explosion. 

Welcome to the party, pal!

• Thanks 1

Okay,  I think the presentation was hit or miss.  The entrances and all of that were much better and I guess I didn't mind the virtual fans being there but the sound when a match is going or someone is cutting a promo was real off.  It sounded so fake..  

Show itself wasn't nearly as good as last week.  The opening with Vince/Braun/Fiend/Retribution was all over the place..    Retribution is deeper than House Lannister, how could they possibly give all of these people a voice and a proper push..

Good to see Naomi get something to do though nothing will probably come of it.  I was laughing at Sasha smiling when Bayley lost but then pretending she cares when she gets in the ring but then Asuka destroying Sasha and Bayley running past Sasha laid out on the ramp.  Good trolling by both. 

The Fiend stuff at the end was what it was. I hope Alexa gets involved in their match. 

I don't think it was necessary to low key reference Mandy/Sonya's horrifying week but maybe they wanted to.. I don't know.  I hope both of them are doing okay.  

For all those with the bingo cards, mark down a dog and someone picking their nose. I'm also genuinely concerned about that guy that appeared to have been driving.

Naomi (again) looked like an idiot, she set up two matches, with nothing to gain herself, and lost one of them. For what reason?

2 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

For all those with the bingo cards, mark down a dog and someone picking their nose. I'm also genuinely concerned about that guy that appeared to have been driving.

Naomi (again) looked like an idiot, she set up two matches, with nothing to gain herself, and lost one of them. For what reason?

If Bayley retains should could get a title shot since she pinned her. If ASUKA wins she gives her a title shot for making the Golden Role Models wrestle her 2 days before Summerslam. 

• Like 1

I made it all the way to...

the beginning of the Fiend coming down. 

Then I switched it to the Dish Network Dish Scapes channel (which has a nifty underwater theme right now with a sunken pirate ship and sharks swimming around) so I could take a nap. 

For all that money they still couldn't come up with anything less than a total eyesore. 

Fucking terrible. When I saw the setup on my TV I thought, hey, that's not actually half bad, but it's just totally devoid of sound and when there is sound it's real empty or fake. Oh, and the rest of the show was trash.

• Like 1

I skipped around a bit of the beginning with Vince, Braun, the Fiend, & Retribution. The idea wasn't terrible, but the execution was kind of mixed from what I saw.

E/Sheamus was solid.

Nakamura/Cesaro vs. Lucha house Part was solid outside of that failed hurricanrana an attempt on the outside by poor Metalik.

Mandy & Sonya's kidnapping scare being referenced felt unnecessary, especially without an audience there to acknowledge it. Sonya's promo was good. I'm happy their match got changed to no dq though now I'm worried Sonya might be leaving WWE with the Loser Leaves WWE stip added.

It was nice to see them do something with Naomi though I kind of would have preferred she beat both Sasha & Bayley. I do get why they avoided it with Asuka matches being so close. Definitely feels like they are finally heading the direction of Sasha & Bayley breaking up. Still not sure how I feel about that as their heel act is great, and I honestly have trouble seeing either as the face in such a situation.

AJ/Jeff was solid though I'm not sure about ending AJ's reign here. Skipped around most of the later Fiend/Braun stuff.

The Thunderdome was ultimately......ok I guess. It feels different from the PC setup which is nice, but the crowd noise feels kind of bad with the emptiness. Honestly, I kind of preferred the PC roster as the audience.

Edited by Eivion